When Gelling...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dOttY

Reaction score
I have only forced gel once. (I've only done 4 soap batches)
And with that, I layed a piece of plastic wrap over the top of my silicone mould (but not touching the batter) before wrapping in towels to insulate.

However, when I unwrapped my soap, I noticed condensation on the plastic wrap, and some of which had fallen on to the soap and left droplet marks.

My question is, is there a way to stop the condensation falling onto my soap? Is it necessary to use plastic wrap, or could I have just placed a large piece of card or similiar (something that can 'breathe') over the mould before putting on the towels?

I know it's due to the heat, but I don't like the ugly tiny little spots it leaves!

I gave up on plastic wrap, it was driving me nuts. It would stick to my soap and give me wrinkles. Until you come up with a more permanent or better solution you could try putting a shoebox or whatever box that fits over the mold but isn't huge and then wrap your towels around that.

Looking at what I've just written...does this make sense? Sometimes I worry about myself. Mold on table, box over mold, towels on box. :roll:

I built a little dome with very strong wire..I put one on each side of the mold and wrap plastic over the dome, didn't have a problem yet with condensation.Than wrap in towels, lately I gel every batch, I don't even know why :shock:

Latest posts

Back