Natural colorants

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guywithsoap?

Reaction score
Hi,

For my next soap I am interested in adding a color. I am aware of the use of mica's however, I dont have any handy and am not planing on odering an more supplies for some time.

I have read that Tumeric, Anneto Powder, Paprika, are used, though some claim that these may be skin irritants. I have even seen one recipe using tomato paste, regarding this, if it is added after trace, will there be a concern about the need for some form of preservative?

Question, are these-specifically the paprika- safe to use, if it gets into someones eye, etc....

Also, what other colorants might you suggest.

Thanks.

Guywithsoap? said:
Hi,

For my next soap I am interested in adding a color. I am aware of the use of mica's however, I dont have any handy and am not planing on odering an more supplies for some time.

I have read that Tumeric, Anneto Powder, Paprika, are used, though some claim that these may be skin irritants. I have even seen one recipe using tomato paste, regarding this, if it is added after trace, will there be a concern about the need for some form of preservative?

Question, are these-specifically the paprika- safe to use, if it gets into someones eye, etc....

Also, what other colorants might you suggest.

Thanks.

I made a soap with tumeric and paprika. It does not irritate my skin at all. BUT, it feels "grainy" on my skin. So I use it only for a handsoap.

Natural colorants...spices!

I have used some spices/herbs etc. as natural colorants in my soap. This is what I would suggest: Simmer your oils, or a portion of your oils, with the spices you want to color it with (ie. paprika), Then strain out the herb or spice, so your soap won't be grainy.
Cocoa powder, cinnamon, turmeric, paprika...have all worked well for me! And if you are looking for a great orange or yellow colorant, try beta carotene. Just pop open a caplet of it and squeeze it into your oil and simmer for a few minutes.

On the same note, I know that some people use alkanet root for purples...but do you think I could use actual blackberries to color my blackberry soap? and how would I go about doing this? :?:

With all the makeup that is now out that uses Mica, you could actually go to the store and buy some of the cheap mineral eyeshadow and use that. I used it for a few of my soaps before I got my first Mica powders from TKB trading and they work just as good.

tespring said:
With all the makeup that is now out that uses Mica, you could actually go to the store and buy some of the cheap mineral eyeshadow and use that. I used it for a few of my soaps before I got my first Mica powders from TKB trading and they work just as good.
Except those cheap mineral eyeshadows contain other ingredients besides mica. How would you add all their ingredients on your label? I would think that would be a turn off for some people.

soapbuddy said:
tespring said:
Except those cheap mineral eyeshadows contain other ingredients besides mica. How would you add all their ingredients on your label? I would think that would be a turn off for some people.
The cheap eyeshadow that I got were just mica, titanium dioxide and/or iron oxide. Is that not what we use to color our soaps already?

The brand name is NYX. This is what they look like: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0560279083
I got mine for 1.50 a piece and I only used around 1/2 a container for a light color. (per two pound batch)

I don't know what extra ingredients you are referring to.... ???

tespring said:
soapbuddy said:
tespring said:
The cheap eyeshadow that I got were just mica, titanium dioxide and/or iron oxide. Is that not what we use to color our soaps already?

The brand name is NYX. This is what they look like: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0560279083
I got mine for 1.50 a piece and I only used around 1/2 a container for a light color. (per two pound batch)

I was referring to ingredients that are commonly used in mineral make-up and shadows like bismuth oxychloride. If I add color to my soaps, I prefer to add any coloring/whitening ingredients myself, not a combo that someone else made for another purpose. KWIM?

soapbuddy said:
tespring said:
soapbuddy said:
tespring said:

I was referring to ingredients that are commonly used in mineral make-up and shadows like bismuth oxychloride. If I add color to my soaps, I prefer to add any coloring/whitening ingredients myself, not a combo that someone else made for another purpose. KWIM?

Sorry, I was just giving a cheap way to add coloring without having to spend tons of money. I wont give my opinion no more if it is going to be a problem.
:cry:

tespring said:
Sorry, I was just giving a cheap way to add coloring without having to spend tons of money. I wont give my opinion no more if it is going to be a problem.
:cry:
Don't be sorry. I just prefer to add ingredients that benefit my soap's esthetic value without adding cheap ingredients. There are many coloring options available for soap; that are made for soap. And they are not that much more expensive.

I have had good results with cocoa powder. Paparika I think I didn't use enough cause was worried about possible irritation. Haven't tried any others at this time.

Latest posts

Back