No soap tonight, I made PIES!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kchaystack

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So Saturday is Pi day (3.1415 this year! It is an extra special Pi day!) I am a programmer, so us mathy geeky types are celebrating a day early at work with PIE!

I made 2 chocolate bourbon pecan (pic attached) and 2 dream pies (from the back of the dream whip box) a coconut and a lemon.

pies.jpg

mmmmmmm pie

i need to learn how to make gluten free pies. i havnt made a pie since i stopped eating wheat.
my favorite is what i like to call "christmas pie"
its an apple pie with fresh grated ginger, cinnamon, allspice and fresh/frozen cranberries. it tastes like heaven.

my second favorite is a lemon pie with fresh strawberries inside. YUM!!

mmmmmmm pie

i need to learn how to make gluten free pies. i havnt made a pie since i stopped eating wheat.
my favorite is what i like to call "christmas pie"
its an apple pie with fresh grated ginger, cinnamon, allspice and fresh/frozen cranberries. it tastes like heaven.

my second favorite is a lemon pie with fresh strawberries inside. YUM!!

That sounds great. I am sure there is some alternative for you. I think I might die w/o bread.

=-O

Piiiiiie. My friends and I are gathering together, and we're having a pie baking challenge. Many of us bringing pies are planning to bring more than one... LOL

I really want to try a chocolate bourbon pecan pie but I have never seen them here in Hawaii!

They are super easy to make. I use the recipe from Tyler Florence on FoodTV's website. Tho in HI you might have a hard time getting pecans...

Those look great!

I make a mean banana cream with toasted coconut crust. Was trying to decide what type to make for my math geek boys, so maybe that's what I'll go with. I'll have to make 2 tho, chocolate cream for me :)

Mmmmmmm, pie! Maybe I'll make a French meat pie for dinner and an orange cream pie with a chocolate cookie crust for dessert!

IrishLass :)

I want the French meat pie recipe, please!

Your wish is my command! :) It's one of the 2 recipes I have that were handed down to me from my grandmother, who was French-Canadian and an awesome cook, although I ever so slightly tweaked it to toss some sage in it:

-1/2 lb. ground pork
-1/2 lb. ground beef
-Either 2 large, or 3 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
-1 lg. onion, finely chopped
-3 cloves garlic, minced
-1/2 tsp. salt
-1/4 tsp. white pepper
-1 tsp. cinnamon (yes- cinnamon!)
-1/4 tsp. ground sage
-1 c. beef broth
-Pastry for a 2-crust pie
-Your favorite beef gravy

Place everything- except for the potatoes, pastry and gravy- all together in a 12” skillet, a Dutch oven, or a pot with a wide bottom.

Break up meat and thoroughly mix the ingredients together well. Simmer on medium heat, uncovered, stirring occasionally and breaking up meat as needed until all, or mostly all of the broth has boiled off (usually takes 45 minutes to 1 hour for me). The goal is not to brown anything.

Meanwhile, as the meat is cooking, boil the potatoes in a separate pot until soft (takes 15 to 20 minutes). Drain and mash with a little beef broth to moisten. Season lightly with salt and pepper. Set aside until meat mixture is done.

Once all (or mostly all) the broth has boiled off the meat mixture, remove from heat, siphon off any excess fat and broth, and add the meat mixture to the mashed potatoes, mixing well to combine. Set aside for the moment (loosely covered) to slightly cool down some while you heat your oven to 425 degreesF.

Once the oven is up to temp, assemble the pie: Line the bottom of a 9” or 10" pie plate with one of the prepared crust rounds. Add the now slightly warm (instead of hot) meat/potato filling, press to fit, then top off with the remaining pie crust, crimping edges to seal. Cut vents in the top crust, brush with an egg-wash if you wish (optional), and bake at 425 degreesF for 35 to 40 minutes until crust is nice and golden.

Or, alternatively, you can start preheating the oven earlier as the potatoes are boiling so that it's ready to go as soon as the meat and potatoes are mixed, but I always let the mixture cool a little because that's what my grandmother's recipe says to do.

Serve with beef gravy...... or if you are anything like us when we were kids, bring out the ketchup! lol It's awesome either way, but I prefer it with gravy now that I'm an adult.

IrishLass :)

Last edited:
They are super easy to make. I use the recipe from Tyler Florence on FoodTV's website. Tho in HI you might have a hard time getting pecans...

We have plenty of pecans here - I usually buy them from Coscto.

I just cannot get around to baking these days with all the B & B making :(

Darn you enablers! Now I'm hungry for pie - all kinds of pie. I LOVE pie. Meat, chocolate, coconut, pecans, berries, bananas, rhubarb, etc, etc, etc. Mmmm..... Your pies look beautiful and delicious, KCHaystack. I happen to have everything in the pantry and fridge for your recipe, IrishLass. I guess I know what I'll be trying out for dinner tonight! Did I mention I love pie?

Back