White spots and a question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dimitris

Reaction score
I know that the "white spot" question has been asked many times, but I think I have found out why it happens for me.

Look at the following soap:
IMG_0332.JPG

The spots don't zap and the soap has a Ph of 9.

I have saponified this at around 100F with high % of C.O. These white spots happened to me with another soap too, which also had a high % of C.O.
Given that the C.O. I usually get is solid at room temperature, I believe that 100F is too low for a soap with a modest amount of C.O, which solidifies before saponification is complete. Perhaps I could try at higher temperatures?

Another question: The soap I produce using CP has a Ph of 9 after 48 hours and doesn't zap. I know that it needs to cure to become harder, but is this normal?

Thanks to all! What a wonderful hobby this is.

Yep, it does look like small bits of resolidified hard oils/butters. What kind of coconut oil are you using, 76 or 92?

Yes it's completely normal for soap not to have active lye at around 48 hours if your soap gelled. If it didn't gel, then saponification may take longer & would still have active lye in it.

Genny, I have no clue what the CO is. The label says it's suitable for soap making.
The shops here (in Greece) don't distinguish between 76 or 92 CO. There's normal and virgin C.O (which is very expensive).

Edit. I did forget to say that I insulate the soap quite well (using two blankets), which should force the gel phase?

Last edited:
I just made a shampoo bar with oils that are liquid at room temperature and only 5% shea butter and still get these **** spots!
Temperature was around 100F and my batches are quite small, about 1oz of oils.

Should I try higher temperatures? How far can I go without the soap seizing?

What are you cutting the bars with? A blade or wire cutter?
This question comes up a lot in the soaping community and I'm not sure if anyone really knows, but since hearing about using oil to wipe down the wires of a wire cutter, I've not had the bumps at all.

What are you cutting the bars with? A blade or wire cutter?
This question comes up a lot in the soaping community and I'm not sure if anyone really knows, but since hearing about using oil to wipe down the wires of a wire cutter, I've not had the bumps at all.

I didn't even think of that since I use a blade. I remember seeing that on another forum about the wire cutter thing.

Now that Pamieliynn brought up the wire cutter thing. Bubbles entered my mind as well. It honestly could be bubbles, since they show up as white spots, too.

I use a wire cutter. I will try oiling the wire.
It could be bubbles, but with the last soap, I only did a light trace so that bubbles can escape to the surface. Didn't make a difference.
I know it doesn't change the soap properties, but I just want to know...

I agree. Bubbles at the wrong stage of the soap, ha ha. I tend to beat the hell out of my soap pot and use a spritz of alcohol if my stick blender goes mental and creates a lot of air bubbles.

I found out what the problem is, it's the wire cutter.
I cut the soap in half using a sharp knife and there are no spots!
I will upload a photo soon.

From what I understand, the wire traps some soap and fills air bubbles, which then look like white spots.

So air bubbles + wire cutter = white spots!

Last edited:
The only time I got white spots in my soap was when I added salt to my lye/water mixture. I haven't added it since, and I haven't had that problem since.

Latest posts

Back