When to add Super Fat Oil?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spice

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have been making HP salt bars. I now want to try something new, CP. Since I never made a CP salt bars, I am wondering if it is going to make a difference. From watching and reading recipes, none have mentioned at what point is the super fat oil poured. I add my salt and super fat when the salt soap is cooked. How does it work in CP?

With CP I add all my oils together. There is no way to discern exactly which oils the lye will choose to saponify and what will be left. I may my salt soaps 80% CO, 15% Avocado, 5% Castor. 50% salt. I add my salt when it's at a medium trace so it doesn't settle. I do a 17%SF

With CP I add all my oils together. There is no way to discern exactly which oils the lye will choose to saponify and what will be left. I may my salt soaps 80% CO, 15% Avocado, 5% Castor. 50% salt. I add my salt when it's at a medium trace so it doesn't settle. I do a 17%SF
Now that makes sense. I was wondering about that super fat factor. Ok, thanks.

I finally made that salt bar. I just wanted to let those that have not tried to make a salt bar know how I did my. First, I needed to know when I was to pour the SF oils, I used 10% SF and shunt2011, 50% salt.
I have always made HP salt bar and never did a 50% salt. As embarrassed as it makes me, I used 10% salt, hardly a salt bar. But it seem to have worked, at least I'm thinking because when I use the 50% salt; that 10% of mine...that thought will change. Not only the salt was a big surprise, my coconut oil was too. I had been using 37% CO and 41 %OO. I have been doing this for years. I guess my so called salt bars was just a touch of salt.
My new recipe is now (I have this a a sticky):
CO 75%
OO 15%
Grape 5%
Almond 5%

SF 10%
Salt 50%

I was fearful of my soap coming to a quick truce, I might have gotten a false trace.

I added all the oils together, after I blended I used sandalwood powder. Here is where I kinda got stuck. In HP I would make one color and add the salt when I saw the glycerin, meaning it was done. But in CP, I had two batches, one being the sandalwood powder and the soap batter and I haven't added the salt. I thought, which gets the salt. I took a guess and added about a have of cup of salt to the sandalwood powder and the rest went into the soap batter.
I waited for about 1.5 hrs and then I cut. Was not sure but I did it anyway. These are the pictures of my soap, when I first cut will be the first and today after I washed off any soap ash. That bowl is what I used to wash my soaps, I can see suds. So for what its worth, I think I now have a true salt bar.

Attachments

• cl033+98QqqCJkZ%94tYWQ.jpg
    cl033+98QqqCJkZ%94tYWQ.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 20
  • bFYUjtW5SHStC9QFImxVyA.jpg
    bFYUjtW5SHStC9QFImxVyA.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 20
  • 1eV91hWqS1SxLh0Eytf2+Q.jpg
    1eV91hWqS1SxLh0Eytf2+Q.jpg
    235.1 KB · Views: 19
Congratulations on your first CP salt bars! They do look like salt bars. Was this your very first batch of CP soap, or just your first batch of CP salt bars? I wasn't sure from your first post of this thread.

Congratulations on your first CP salt bars! They do look like salt bars. Was this your very first batch of CP soap, or just your first batch of CP salt bars? I wasn't sure from your first post of this thread.
my first CP salt bars, I have always made, what I thought was a salt bar, the HP way. Recently, I got tired of the look so I started to check into how others were making salt bars the CP way. Found out that this forum makes soap better then any other forum and that includes Soaping 101.

Latest posts

Back