Understanding Super Fat

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am one of the super sensitive to coconut oil people ~ I can't tolerate more than 20% in a recipe and recently learned my 5% SF may not agree with the super hard water of my area also (sunny Florida), the higher SF + hard water = more soap residue. So now I'm lowering my SF% and most likely my CO% as well ~ or I may just continue to experiment with my triple butter recipes and leave the CO at 20% to help balance the recipe 🤷🏼‍♀️ That's what makes this a fun and addictive hobby! 😄

Agreed ~ my formulas usually have a lower cleansing number with higher conditioning numbers

Also ~ have you mastered making single soaps as testers? That way you can knock of a bunch of testers, each one with a slight variation ~ just take notes!
I'm in S. Texas and we have hard water also. Great info. I'll apply your advice.
I have NOT mastered making single soap testers. Just enough batter for one bar, I'm guessing?

I'm in S. Texas and we have hard water also. Great info. I'll apply your advice.
I have NOT mastered making single soap testers. Just enough batter for one bar, I'm guessing?
Yes ~ that's why we are fond of stating recipes in percentages, because it's easily adaptable to whatever size recipe you want to make. I like using soapcalc to work out recipes because the first thing you enter is total batch weight ~ so are you working a big slab? A 2 lb loaf? A few bars that are only a couple ounces each? For me, I'm either going to be filling one of my 2 lb loaf molds or some of my cavity molds, which means a smaller batch of about 500 grams total batch weight.
But somehow you can calculate for the weight of a single bar if you have single cavity molds and know their individual capacity. I, personally, haven't gone that small with my batches but there are some in forum that have ~ and I'm sure there is plenty of advice to be had on how best to go about it!

You can also use Sorbitol...no math required.
As a chilator? Or a bubble booster?

Latest posts

Back