When do you cut?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lemongirl

Reaction score
How long do you give your soap before cutting? I am way too impatient, and am hard pressed to wait 24 hours, but this is clearly not enough time as every time it has still been slightly too soft, and I just damage the bars. I need to learn to be more patient :) So should I unmold and then give it another several hours before cutting? Thanks!

My favorite recipe is ready to unmold and cut after about 15 hours, I also find that some fo's make my recipe ready to unmold and cut after as little as 9 hours..

Most of time, if i'm soaping at night, like 8-9 pm, i take out of the mold next morning, let it dry for couple hours and then cut, but it depends on the soap, somethimes it still too soft, then i cut next day. Hope that helps.

Depends on if you gel or not too, as well as the recipe. GElled soaps I can usually cut after they've cooled completely but with ungelled, I often leave them in the mold for 2-3 days, sometimes longer, then let them sit for another day or so after unmolding and then cut. It's hard to wait. I've cut too early too often and end up messing up the bars.

1-3 days. I try and soap mid day to evening so I can cut them after work the next day, but I have waited up to a week to cut, its just much harder...it just depends....waiting the hardest part. Its like opening Christmas gifts

I use Sodium Lactate at 2% in my soap. I still wait at least 24 hours to cut. Some batches seem to take longer still. I think it has to do with the FOs I use because my recipe is the same accept the liquid used. <shrug>

I used to be impatient too :D

when to cut

:)
I would also take into account how big your batch is. I did a 5 lb batch yesterday and poured at 2pm and I felt it when I got home and it still felt warmish at 6pm when I got home. Did another 5 lb batch on saturday and cut it this morning and it was still bruisable (word?) but cut very well and easy to manage. For loaves I leave in the oven, I can usually cut after 18-24 hours and they handle just fine.

I unmold the soap after a day. Then I let it set for a day or so. I wait until the surface of the soap is consistently hardened that a knife won't leave a mark when I set it on the top. The surface of the soap should not be displaced by the weight of the knife. I get no deformation in the cut. Wait too long and you'll need a coping saw to get through it :) Practice practice practice. Make more soap and eventually you'll get a feel for it.

Latest posts

Back