What's the zap test?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emilaid

Reaction score
I've just been reading through a few questions on here and came across the zap test - I'm curious - what is it?? :?

The zap test is when you stick your tongue to a bar of soap. If your lye concentration is too high you will get zapped, like sticking your tongue to a battery. No zap and you are good to go!

I have almost had anxiety attacks over this lye thing :cry: And, now I am being told to put my tongue to the soap, man, I am really going to have an anxiety attack one of these days.
When do you put your tongue to the soap? Why do you put your tongue to the soap? What happens if your zapped? What if you dont get zapped? I am soooo stressed, LOL :D

artisan soaps said:
I just wet a finger and rub a little soap on it and

It really won't hurt, but you will know you've been zapped - never licked a battery myself but it's just like eating candy pop rocks ..

If you calculate, weigh correctly and superfat to cover yourself then chances are you won't make Lye heavy soap ..

ps: I tried the same soap two days later and no more zap :lol:

Sometimes, you will also get a zap a few days out from the FO you use. I had that happen to me. Made a coffee spice soap, gelled fine, cut beautifully, and touched it to my tongue.......

ZAAAAAAAAAPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!

I knew I hadn't mismeasured so I did some forum searches and learned about FO's doing that.

A few days later, it was fine. I still have some bars by the bathroom sink and it's lovely, mild soap. :)

Hi,
When to do the zap test depends on what method you use.
I use the hot process method and when the soap is in the vaseline stage I take out a small amount, let it cool and then touch it to my tongue, if it zaps me I cook for a little longer and repeat. When there's no longer a zap I add my colorant and fo's and then into the mold it goes:)

I don't do cold pour but I imagine that you test after it's cured???????

Careful measurements are necessary but in hot pour there is the end stage when all of the lye has "cooked out" that you're looking for:)

Hope this helps, good luck!

The Zap test is one of the most effective methods for producing profanity in the soapmaker or the soapmaker's spouse. Unlike the profanity produced by such catastrophes as overheating, and/or eu de skunk fragrance oils which are only observed by the soaper this disaster must be experienced up close and personal. Giving it an intimacy that other catastrophes lack.

The sometimes innocent appearance of the suspect bar adds to the vehemence of the profanity. It is highly recommended that children and sheltered adults be taken out of the room before a zap test is given. Anglo Saxon is the preferred profanity for articulating one's opinion of a zap.

When asking a spouse to check a bar for zap an approach of casual curiousity must be maintained. Saying "I think this batch has enough lye in it to fell a wild boar, do you mind licking it and seeing if smoke comes off your tongue?" Is not going to get you any cooperation. Rather look demurely at the big strong hunk of your guy and shyly say "I think I might have messed up, but I'm not sure how to tell. They say it is just like licking a 9 volt battery, but oh dear I never licked one so how do I know?" Now hubby has not heard anything at all but the fact you mentioned a masculine pastime (trust me somewhere in his past he and his buddies had beer and decided to do something stupid like lick a 9 volt battery.) so he knows licking soap is cool. He will then gamely take the soap and do a zap test. Have earplugs and beer ready.

LOL Paula . My hubby is a lily livered chicken , he won't zap test my soap . He just doesn't know what he is missing :wink: NOT!

Kitn

I don't like zap testing, but i'm a dab hand with ph paper.

It is my understanding that unless you make solution of your soap and water that PH strips will not give an accurate reading and even then the results are not the best.

Please explain to me why in the world would anyone want to lick a battery? A lollipop, a popsicle, a dish with something really yummy in it, but a battery? :?

I just can't imagine doing that, yet is seems like alot of folks out there have!! :shock:

Jude

LMAO!!
Is anyone else wondering how the zap test was discovered...?? :lol:

Can't I just use pH paper :?: :?

I use pH paper all the time. It's sometimes hard to read.
If you wet the bar of soap and make a slurry of soap it works much better.
You can also dissolve a bit of your soap paste in water and check it with the pH paper.

Battery test is quick and easy...

How was the battery test discovered... I bet it started with "I double dog dare you" -- but that's just a guys opinion.

Latest posts

Back