High Oleic Soybean Oil

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
While unsuccessfully searching in my local restaurant depot for rice bran oil I came across this. It was labeled as a fry oil. I’ve never even considered using soybean oil but boy the price was like $36 for 35 pounds. Unfortunately they didn’t have it in smaller containers so I really don’t want to spend that much just to try it out. Does anyone have any thoughts on this or has anyone used it? When I figured the percentage of olec acid it’s 71.42%, so definitely high oleic. I’m so curious of how it would perform.

Attachments

• IMG_0934.jpeg
    IMG_0934.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0933.jpeg
    IMG_0933.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
While unsuccessfully searching in my local restaurant depot for rice bran oil I came across this. It was labeled as a fry oil. I’ve never even considered using soybean oil but boy the price was like $36 for 35 pounds. Unfortunately they didn’t have it in smaller containers so I really don’t want to spend that much just to try it out. Does anyone have any thoughts on this or has anyone used it? When I figured the percentage of olec acid it’s 71.42%, so definitely high oleic. I’m so curious of how it would perform.
I would totally buy that! I love Soybeans and Canola oils in soap, the high linolenic ones, even with the risk of DOS.

This is comparable with any other high oleic oil.

I would totally buy that! I love Soybeans and Canola oils in soap, the high linolenic ones, even with the risk of DOS.

This is comparable with any other high oleic oil.

Good to hear! I may just try it. It is a fraction of the cost of OO and RBO and I don’t use a very high percentage of oleic oils from OO or RBO in my recipe. It’s like less than .07 per ounce! I’ve wasted $35 on other things. Lol.

I use a small amount of crisco in 90% of my batches, which has hydrogenated soybean and palm, and I love it. I'm really a lard kinda girl, but 10% crisco with a cpop produces a pretty almost sheen I don't get without, and I really like the skin feel.

I never use soybean exclusively, but I did recently buy a small bottle of HO canola, and used a little in my mostly CO salt bar. Only been a few weeks, fingers crossed.

Maybe find a smaller bottle of HO soybean from Walmart or the grocery store and see of you like it first?

I use a small amount of crisco in 90% of my batches, which has hydrogenated soybean and palm, and I love it. I'm really a lard kinda girl, but 10% crisco with a cpop produces a pretty almost sheen I don't get without, and I really like the skin feel.

I never use soybean exclusively, but I did recently buy a small bottle of HO canola, and used a little in my mostly CO salt bar. Only been a few weeks, fingers crossed.

Maybe find a smaller bottle of HO soybean from Walmart or the grocery store and see of you like it first?
I am a lard girl as well but you can’t find HO soybean in the grocery store. I have actually never seen it anywhere before. That’s why I was so curious when I saw in the restaurant depot today.

I am a lard girl as well but you can’t find HO soybean in the grocery store. I have actually never seen it anywhere before. That’s why I was so curious when I saw in the restaurant depot today.
Huh, I had no idea. I imagine it feels the same as regular soybean oil. If you're recipe can handle it and you like the feel of soap with soybean, I'd probably give it a go.

I bought HO canola since it was like .04 cents an ounce (compared to .19 for OO and .16 for sunflower), but after messing around with percentages in my usual recipe, it brings my longevity too low for my liking unless I pair it with a lot of hard oils/butters like lard, shea, avocado, etc. But, my only source of palm is crisco, since I try to avoid shipping as much as possible. I'm glad I bought a small bottle since I can only use it in some of my harder recipes. Maybe test it out on a calculator and see if you like the numbers first?

Huh, I had no idea. I imagine it feels the same as regular soybean oil. If you're recipe can handle it and you like the feel of soap with soybean, I'd probably give it a go.

I bought HO canola since it was like .04 cents an ounce (compared to .19 for OO and .16 for sunflower), but after messing around with percentages in my usual recipe, it brings my longevity too low for my liking unless I pair it with a lot of hard oils/butters like lard, shea, avocado, etc. But, my only source of palm is crisco, since I try to avoid shipping as much as possible. I'm glad I bought a small bottle since I can only use it in some of my harder recipes. Maybe test it out on a calculator and see if you like the numbers first?
I would suggest you still try it. I have a a batch that my daughters love that is 75% High Oleic Canola oil and unless they let it sit in water, is actually good on longevity. I do use Vinegar as water replacement for all my batches.

I do use a lot of hard oils and only 20% OO or RBO so I might give it a try and see how it works out. I would love to get a smaller bottle but I’ve never seen it anywhere.

Brambleberry has high oleic canola oil you can buy as small as 1 pound. They also have free shipping till oct 31 for artisan and do t know the next level up (if you have ordered with them before).

For Brambleberry - it’s inexpensive.

Oh wait - nevermind got soybean and canola oil mixed up.

I would suggest you still try it. I have a a batch that my daughters love that is 75% High Oleic Canola oil and unless they let it sit in water, is actually good on longevity. I do use Vinegar as water replacement for all my batches.
It's on my list after I smash out all my Christmasy soaps! Sadly I haven't had time for cp experiments lately and have stuck to my "usual" recipes" for the most part since I'm super busy with work and a bedroom remodel, but I have a list... OR two or three, once things slow down.

I do use a lot of hard oils and only 20% OO or RBO so I might give it a try and see how it works out. I would love to get a smaller bottle but I’ve never seen it anywhere.
It definitely sucks you can't find a smaller bottle, and i feel your pain. I've been on the hunt for RBO locally but even the Asian and Russian grocery stores and the cash and carry in town don't carry it, and they usually have everything. I found one bottle at tractor supply - 7lbs for like $45, and it was all dented up.

I wish you luck in your soybean journey!

Rats, I don't have a Restaurant Depot anywhere close to me, and the shipping cost doubles the price.

I checked our local US Foods Chef's Store, and they offer a 100% HO Canola oil, 35 lbs for $46.19. It does say "Special Order only; call for availability." I may call later today and find out if they charge anything extra for the special order.

Very interesting stuff! I was in Costco today and checked their oil prices. Their avocado oil is more expensive than their light OO! But they did have a 100% HO soy oil (a mix of regular and partially hydrogenated). IMG_2588.jpeg

Very interesting stuff! I was in Costco today and checked their oil prices. Their avocado oil is more expensive than their light OO! But they did have a 100% HO soy oil (a mix of regular and partially hydrogenated). View attachment 74914
oh wow I’m gonna have to look for that in my Costco now. Every time I’ve looked it’s just been regular soybean so far but maybe it’s a new product.

The label said it was for high-heat frying, so I assumed it was HO, but I didn't actually check the sat/unsat numbers. I meant to take a picture of the label and do that when I got home, but you know... Costco's equivalent of squirrel! ball!! (new furniture! new computer! new appliances!).

Following this with interest. The OO prices have become prohibitive - currently 40% of my typical recipe - and I am going to reformulate. There is a Restaurant Depot an hour from me but (as far as I can tell) you can’t check what they have in stock ahead of time. There’s also a Costco an hour away which I don’t have a membership for. We have a Sam’s club, and they have a 100% soybean frying oil with a 460 smoke point - has anyone tried it?

IMG_8807.jpeg

No Sam’s near me, sorry. I’ll be interested to hear how it works if anyone tries it.

Right now, I don’t think I can justify buying it unless someone close to me (Boise, Idaho) wants to split it with me. My recipe uses only 20-30% soft oils, I wouldn’t use it in lotions, and I also don’t make as much bar soap these days. Still, at that price, it is tempting. I might need to try it in LS, as I’ve heard it is pretty nice for that, too. 🤔

Funny, I looked back through the other canola oil thread by @KiwiMoose, and it reminded me that I had tried a Costco version of it that @Jersey Girl had determined was mid-oleic. It was a smaller quantity, and I didn’t save the label info, so I don’t know if it is the same thing I’m looking at now in their large jug/carton. I don’t think so, bc I’m pretty sure the one I used wasn’t a mix of regular and hydrogenated.

Following this with interest. The OO prices have become prohibitive - currently 40% of my typical recipe - and I am going to reformulate. There is a Restaurant Depot an hour from me but (as far as I can tell) you can’t check what they have in stock ahead of time. There’s also a Costco an hour away which I don’t have a membership for. We have a Sam’s club, and they have a 100% soybean frying oil with a 460 smoke point - has anyone tried it?

View attachment 74917
From what I have researched, this one is not a HO soybean. I wouldn’t use it.

Very interesting stuff! I was in Costco today and checked their oil prices. Their avocado oil is more expensive than their light OO! But they did have a 100% HO soy oil (a mix of regular and partially hydrogenated). View attachment 74914

Looking for what info I could find I don’t think this is HO. I think this is the back label.

Attachments

• IMG_8042.png
    IMG_8042.png
    3.6 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back