What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@cmzaha it's starting to get chilly in SD and I could use a vacation. I'll come help you make soap! hahaha

Last night I made the last soap for the brewery. Not sure if it was just me, or if the FO or beer was being difficult. The brewer picked out Cracklin Birch for a fragrance, and I'd never used it before. It was a plop-bang-hanger swirl like crazy-bang some more kind of night. I think the soap turned out ok for all that. I unmolded this morning and didn't see any holes in the sides, which was my biggest fear. Also, my hands smell amazing now. I'm pretty sure my officemates think there's something wrong with me, I keep petting my hair (tried out the shampoo bar last night) and smelling my hands...

Then I sat on the couch with my hubby, he watched the Vikes lose and I read through Nature's Garden FO descriptions and reviews and created a wishlist. I decided not to make another beer soap, I want to, but I think what I have now will be enough. I have one more "manly" scent to make, I'm only doing five soaps in October and I'm done for the year. I checked on the carrot soap that I made almost 2 weeks ago, it is still mushy. I decided to see exactly what was going on with it, so I shredded two bars... definitely a lye issue going on there, it was like shredding a block of butter. Now I'm hesitant to even use the shreds in another soap, it might be too much superfat. I suppose I could try it, maybe only use half of what I shredded and see what I end up with. I have time to play. I need to get bubble scoops done for my mid October show yet too.

@cmzaha it's starting to get chilly in SD and I could use a vacation. I'll come help you make soap! hahaha
Also, my hands smell amazing now. I'm pretty sure my officemates think there's something wrong with me, I keep petting my hair (tried out the shampoo bar last night) and smelling my hands...
omg this made me laugh !! I can see it, and I do the same thing.. not hair but smelling hands

I heard that Dakota has a freezing warning today/last night? Thought about you.

Also, the Crack Birch is not a fast mover at all from NG. The newest review is from me. I love it and also get from there, so must be the beer ??
Also get the Perfect Man from NG, yummy !!!!

I am waiting to soap, oils a bit too hot.
2 batches of Lemon grass. hoping I can make a good swirl on this one

Last edited:
I heard that Dakota has a freezing warning today/last night? Thought about you.

Also, the Crack Birch is not a fast mover at all from NG. I love it and also get from there, so must be the beer ??
Also get the Perfect Man from NG, yummy !!!!

Yep. Frosty windows this morning. Our heat still hasn't kicked on, but this morning we had one kid (the daughter) and two cats in our bed.

thanks for confirming that CB isn't the culprit. I was soaping a bit warmer last night, I was short on masterbatched lye solution so I had to add fresh. I let it cool but it was warmer than usual. I've noticed with beer soaps that cooler is better with my recipe. Perfect Man: Yes! I had a customer give me a wax sample last weekend that was called Perfect Man (it's a small business so after reading the FO description and smelling the sample, I'm 100% positive that it's from NG). I told her that I had almost ordered it last time, but the cost was almost twice of other FO's by that company so I decided to pass. She said she would pay a higher price if I would make a full batch for her - she has 4 grown kids, and they all liked the scent so 18 bars wouldn't be a problem. FO HO Enablers are everywhere! 'cuz you know I won't be able to order just one FO. (Part of the reason I was going through NG's website last night.) Hopefully my October show is as good as it usually is so I can place an order.

I used a bit less then 1/2 what I normally use for my big batches so..... I think it was 2.4 oz for a 5# batch (5# oils). I also changed the name.

I am starting to change the names on soaps so they are not the same as what the FO is called. Ity makes it a bit harder to remember what the FO name was so I made an Excel chart with them, amounts, dates made and colors.
Some I changed just for All Hallows' Eve :)

Went home and cut soap over lunch. I had two bars that had air pockets, so I will be making a small batch tonight so that the brewery will have the correct amount for their order. Hopefully those were the only air pockets, they were right on the end of the loaf, so I suspect it was from the way I pulled out the hanger tool. Otherwise I am super happy with how the soap turned out. I was going to do just the red and natural color, but then added the brown on the fly, and I am so glad that I did!
20180928_122315.jpg

Went home and cut soap over lunch. I had two bars that had air pockets, so I will be making a small batch tonight so that the brewery will have the correct amount for their order. Hopefully those were the only air pockets, they were right on the end of the loaf, so I suspect it was from the way I pulled out the hanger tool. Otherwise I am super happy with how the soap turned out. I was going to do just the red and natural color, but then added the brown on the fly, and I am so glad that I did!
View attachment 32248
I say if they are that picky they don't deserve you omg if I could have a regular client elaited

View attachment 32248
They are lovely. The brown was a good addition

I told my aunt 2 months ago that I would show her how I make soap ( I'm looking forward to spending time with her)... so running around cleaning for tomorrow how to. and the tree service might be here, hubby will be working, my grown child will be sleeping into 2.... lord please give me enough alcohol to relax and enjoy the day. thanks for letting me vent. hey I'm back to making soap!!!!

I learned some hard HP wine soap making lessons.
  1. Warm the wine before you add it. Room temperature causes a dramatic loss in soap temp and I had to reheat the soap and stick blend lumps out of it. (Im almost afraid of what the inside will look like)
  2. Red wine in HP soap will turn batter a disgusting color of gray as soon as you add it. Glad I had red mica mixed and ready.
  3. Piping takes practice. Humbling experience. I think I wound up with more of a textured top lol.
  4. Even though adding wine after the cook is supposed to act like a solvent, you still need yogurt.
Pics tomorrow if im not too embarrassed to show them. :oops:

Fast cut this morning.
The one single pointy top is one bar from the other batch but it's on the cure rack already because I don't have room on the desk. Nothing fancy there. 3 solid colors (lilac, basil lime) and 3 swirlies (2 Lemongrass, citrus type). The pointy top one is suppose to have a white ITPS but I don't' think it came out.
The grey/purple one in the middle Riced on me :( I was lucky to get it in the mold, grr I hate that but it is Lilac from an FO I know is not nice.20180929_060518[1].jpg

About to pick up a order with conservative in it and the basics for making my first lotion
Ordered last night (21.00hours) and it was delivered at the parcel pick up station at 10.30hours this morning..
..that is amazing..for us in the Netherlands that is unheard of
..and that on a Saturday..I love it

Fast cut this morning.
The one single pointy top is one bar from the other batch but it's on the cure rack already because I don't have room on the desk. Nothing fancy there. 3 solid colors (lilac, basil lime) and 3 swirlies (2 Lemongrass, citrus type). The pointy top one is suppose to have a white ITPS but I don't' think it came out.
The grey/purple one in the middle Riced on me :( I was lucky to get it in the mold, grr I hate that but it is Lilac from an FO I know is not nice.View attachment 32267
That is a lot of soap. They all turned out beautifully

It's only 7:20 a.m. here but I don't anticipate doing much of anything soap related today, even though every Saturday right now should be a production day. Yesterday was my husband's birthday and today my daughter and the family will be coming over. I promised a pumpkin pie and an apple crisp (gf).

I have to pick up my pay cheque (I was off sick yesterday), then do some shopping. The most soapy thing I'll be doing is picking up a market table from Costco. If I have the time, I'll throw together a batch or two of bubble scoops.

Finished cutting my Hot Cocoa soap this morning! The discoloration is intense and beautiful and absolutely perfect for the soap. View attachment 32269View attachment 32270View attachment 32271

Sooo gorgeous!! Makes me want to curl up by a fire

I'm currently diluting soap paste, have laundry soap base in molds, another batch of soap paste on the go, and may make some bar soap just for fun.. I make cleaning supplies, and still need about 100 room sprays, 100-150 all purpose cleaners, etc etc.. but you know how it is!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back