What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm just about ready to make a cucumber soap using this cucumber juice slushy.....EEPS! Super excited! I'm using a trusted recipe of oils, but hoping the green of the cucumbers comes through. The scent??!! Oh, yeah, baby!! So great OOB...but we shall see how it holds up after its lye-lashing!

1468804175389.jpg

I played with some turmeric powder as a soap colorant, mixed into a little oil before adding. I feel like it has a mind of it's own. Last time, it came out a sort of tan color, this time it's much more orange. We'll see what it does as it ages.

Just a few minutes ago I put in an order for some soaping supplies to be delivered to my son's house where I am for one more week.

Earlier today Granddaughter & I made Bath Bombs for her neice, my greatgranddaughter. We will be wrapping & taking these with us on our New York roadtrip.

When packing for this trip, I included a partially used package of M&P base, some colorants & a few FO samples so we could do soap while here. I also bought some lye at a TSC in Missouri on my way here because it occurred to me that I just don't want to go that long not making soap. I still want to do another Clyde Slide for the SMF challenge. I thought of ordering KOH too, but decided to just do with NaOH for now.

I lined a small cardboard box to be the loaf mold for the above. Not sure what day I will do the CP soap, but before Saturday I think.

Working on making a couple 1lb loaf molds. I want to get back to some recipe experimenting. Also doing some reading on laundry butter / soap.

Cut yesterday's MP soap, not happy with the result. Melted it down & mixed in more colors and poured when it was cooler and I think that worked better. Trying again for a Clyde Slide. Hoping, but not expecting.

I keep checking the front door for a UPS delivery due today. Every time I open the door I think, 'Man it is hot here in San Antonio in July!'

Last edited:
I soaped this morning and it overheated and cracked. First time ever since I started making cp soap.......the top is ruined and I could cry:(

I soaped this morning and it overheated and cracked. First time ever since I started making cp soap.......the top is ruined and I could cry:(

Is it really bad? Sometimes it falls back down after gel phase and you don't even see it!

Today I cleaned up 15 bars that had horrible ash on them. I hand washed each one. It's one of my best selling soaps so I needed to make sure it looked nice! It doesn't typically have ash on it but, this batch didn't want to gel (I poured it at too thin a trace) and it stayed soft for a week after unmolding and cutting. I stuck it back in the mold and reheated it at 200 F for 3 hours. It ended up a-ok except for the ash. They look good now and are drying.

I am on the road on my first vacation in 8 years, we are driving to Seattle to visit family. I won't be doing any soaping till I get back but I was thinking about checking out Brambleberry's store front while I'm close to it.

Cool, where is it? I should look it up. Next month I'll be driving to the Pacific Northwest to meet my husband in Seattle where we will fly together to Alaska. If there is time between visits with my family on the West Coast, visiting BB sounds like fun.

Oh, I see it is Otion at 301 W Holly St. in Bellingham, Washington according to this.

I cut soap and made a car soap for my grandson using the trimmings from the bars just cut. (That was M&P)

Opened a package from Amazon. I ordered a pizza cutter knife to use with my cardboard box soap mold. When I ordered it, I thought of waiting until I return home, but decided it won't take up that much room in my car on this roadtrip.

Using an Amazon delivery box, I lined it with freezer paper for the pumice soap I plan to make for my brother tomorrow. I was going to work on it today, but slept late so decided to wait another day. But I need to get up earlier tomorrow to get it done before my granddaughter wakes up and while my son is still working.

Also it occurred to me that I don't have to CPOP here. I can just put the soap mold outdoors for a few hours, I think or in the garage, which is probably even hotter than the backyard. Anyway that's what I plan to do after I determine which seems best at the time. I could also do this at home in the summertime, but had not given it any thought.

Cool, where is it? I should look it up. Next month I'll be driving to the Pacific Northwest to meet my husband in Seattle where we will fly together to Alaska. If there is time between visits with my family on the West Coast, visiting BB sounds like fun.

Oh, I see it is Otion at 301 W Holly St. in Bellingham, Washington according to this.

Sweet! I can't wait!

I did the pumice soap for my brother. I was busily pouring the Clyde Slide when I realized I had forgotten to add the pumice! Dagnabbit! Well I decided the soap for my brother was more important than one more attempt at the SMF challenge, so I added the pumice into the last bits of batter I had saved for the top and then swirled that into the already poured batter. If any inkling of a Clyde Slice shows up when I cut that soap, I'll be extremely surprised.

Because it is so hot here, I put the soap out on my son's brick outdoor kitchen counter. It's as good as CPOPing in an oven. I'll cut it in the morning.

I also made a small 4-bar batch of pumice/Borax soap using trimmings from other soaps that I had brought along from home. So it was a rebatch soap to which I added pumice & Borax. Also for my brother. I popped that one into the freezer so I could cut it today. After cutting I tested it and am pretty happy with the result. Not a pretty soap by any means, but bubbles and lathers very nicely and should have the abrasiveness my brother wants. So when I do see him next month I'll have loads of soap for him to try out on his 'smithy' hands. (Yes, of course I'll tell him they need more cure time, as well as labeling them with the date they were made.)

Granddaughter wants to see me cut my brother's pumice soap (the first one), so I promised to make sure she wakes up early so she can. And we have more bath bombs to make, in addition to a shoe shopping trip tomorrow. It's going to be a busy day!

Latest posts

Back