What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just got an order from MMS (Majestic Mountain Sage). The merchandise was packed beautifully -- they do a nice job. Three 16-oz bottles of fragrance were in glass bottles and each bottle was put in its own heavy cardboard tube. They packed the empty containers I'd ordered around the FO bottles as cushioning, so very little bubble wrap was needed. I was impressed. Shipping is at no additional cost for orders of $200 or more. I figure that saves 10% to 15% on the delivered cost.

The thing I'm really excited about (besides the nice packaging) is this -- You can get freebies from MMS depending on how much stuff you buy. I chose a small bottle of honey vinegar -- something I've been curious about for a while. The MMS honey vinegar is made by a Utah beekeeper who makes the vinegar from mead and then blends it with raw honey to make the finished product. Oh, my, this stuff is good! I can taste the delicate flavor of the raw honey in this vinegar -- the vinegar enhances the bouquet of the fresh honey in an unexpected way. It is rich, sweet, and tart, just like a good balsamic vinegar (and it's priced about the same!)

The back story about why I've been curious about this honey vinegar -- I'm a beekeeper and my DH and I have made a few gallons of mead (honey wine). I tried making honey vinegar from some mead left over from our mead making activities. The vinegar making went well -- its actually pretty easy as long as you are patient and have a quiet, dark place to let the vinegar "barrel" (aka quart jar) sit undisturbed. When I tasted the straight honey vinegar from my test run, I was disappointed. It wasn't a whole lot different than a nice, mild apple cider vinegar. I remember thinking if that's all there is to honey vinegar, it is certainly not worth the time and trouble. So when I saw the MMS freebie, I wanted to learn what someone else's honey vinegar is like to see if I was missing the point or if I was right. I'm glad I did -- the way the Utah beekeeper is making it, this stuff is liquid gold.

Herbal Shampoo Bar and Gentlemen's Bar Photo Opp.
34b31519215ba12cb04e58dbebce5239.jpg

a4e4920af675eb5173ca1d07967708d8.jpg

Unmolded, beveled, photographed and put on their curing racks today.

I cut the castille soap I made yesterday. I made two batches. One with Pure OO and the other with pomace. I've made castille with each before, but it was hard to compare with each being in different stages of cure. I don't think there's going to be a huge difference between the batches, but I wanted to test it out side by side anyway.

Soapalooza is having a free shipping deal on FOs from Feb 1 thru midnight Feb 14 (use coupon code HOTFUZZ). I may have to check out that Bonsai you suggested kc!

You guys are so lucky! Unfortunately there is never any free international shipping, haha:-?
The shippingfees to Norway are ridiculously high, I mean $50 for 1 8oz?:sick:

I reorganized the kitchen cupboard that I keep my supplies in to take over the WHOLE cupboard. It's mine now, all mine! And now I'm about to put in an order at a couple of different suppliers.

Made my first trial for the February challenge yesterday . I'm really happy with how it turned out. If I don't end up using it as my entry I'll post pics :)

Latest posts

Back