What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am working on making 1k flower soaps for samples to take to the Taste of Monrovia night in October. This aught to be fun to wrap and label. Heading today to purchase a couple more flower molds so I can get these puppies poured and cured

Think I'd buy 1k tiny zip lock baggies, punch a hole in em, slap a label on em, call it done.... thats a lot of wrapping!

Went to a friends house, brought some of the cured soaps for her to test for me. On the way home picked up a 2qt crockpot to try some HP...might be too small but was thinking the insert would be great for using by itself for my small test batches. For $8, I'll try it :). Now to go read more threads on the HP methods...

Let's see .... my soapy adventures today included picking up the packages that arrived for me at my cousin's house (full of soapy goodies I ordered) , going to home depot to get hdpe #2 buckets in various sizes for soaping, grabbing a cheap plastic miter box for loaf cutting, some 14 gauge plastic coated solid wire for several soapy design ideas, some more foam core board for making additional molds in different sizes, a big bucket to store soapy rags in away from the regular laundry...

Oh and I found a washer and dryer on friggin mega clearance discount.... $80 for the pair... major score and will make my life tremendously easier once I get my friend and his truck to take me to pick it up.... it's not a soapy thing but it sure did perk my day up lol.

Last edited:
I acquired some more off cuts of wood from one of the site bins at work yesterday to add to the pile on my garage floor. I plan to make some wood loaf moulds maybe this weekend. All depends on what the mechanic says about my brothers car tomorrow. Damm thing broke a couple days after he got here to house sit for me while I was on holiday last week. :S

made soap in my new 12" tall n skinny mold, then didn't have enough lye for my next batch using my 2 lb mold...so went to ace hardware, gave them my Drivers license to copy & bought some lye...next time I order lye online, I'll get 2 bottles of lye... Now I've prepared my oils, lyes & additives & am letting my 2nd batch come down to room temp. Oh & the 2nd batch will be orange blossom from Aztec..I'm loving how well Aztec's FO's behave!

Twisted Peppermint. also from Aztec!
temporary_26.jpg

so how dark will .8% of Vanillan make a soap get? will my colors turn dark as well. It is barely less than 1 %.
11884708_10155950200150646_513967918941600067_o.jpg

well I got my package from Soapalooza...5 different scents...their version OOB of Dragon's Blood seems quite pleasant but I have nothing to compare it to...but the hit for me is their Attar of Roses...OMG!!! I can see this being a big hit with my lady friends!!!;-)

I just wrapped some of my Palmarosa soap, may Chang and lavender soap and Christmas soapImageUploadedBySoap Making1439596286.355016.jpg crocheted pouch ImageUploadedBySoap Making1439596318.505889.jpg plastic wrap.

I reorganized my soap curing area, found shelves that stack, tripling my space on the shelf where I had my soaps, I have an online friend ask about me making a coconut free soap because of an allergy, & am reserving space for the no coconut soap to cure as well. i got a new mold just for that soap as well (I'll have to reinforce it to prevent it from bowing) & received some new spatulas i had ordered, I put masking tape on them to keep them separate from my other spatulas. Oh & I love to recycle plastic containers, these in the picture with the new mold & new spatulas have never had soap in them yet, & will be used with my Lard soap. Now I'm waiting on my new stick blender.
11834799_10155954584185646_2435644465234351060_o.jpg

11221854_10155954581710646_5227275736593895230_o.jpg

Made my first attempt at a swirl! It's probably going to come out awful, lol. I did it before I found Newbie's post with her videos, and I did everything wrong. But hey, this is how we learn. :)

I did a simple spoon swirl with a soap using a blend of ylang ylang, sage, and lemongrass, with maddar and rosehip for the pink

spoon swirl because woosh that moved fast (which I expected) too fast for anything else

ylang ylang lemongrass sage2.jpg

Ran into a homemade soap vendor at corn fest. Now I'm itching to make better soap than hers.... So getting ready to make the peanut butter chocolate soap that the bf requested... I'll be trying out a PVC pipe mold for the first time.... I feel like this has epic fail written all over it!

Today I ordered Shea butter and Coconut oil and my very first micas. My goat milk soap is cured-no longer losing weight and quite hard. Put that into use today and my husband really liked it. Spent several hours drooling over molds, EOs and FOs. Stumbled upon a reddit post from a person who was selling her entire soap making supply collection...nearly passed out at my computer.:shock:

I'm just too excited, my hubby made two wooden loaf molds for me. They each hold about ten pounds. This is a huge step up for me since I have been using a two pound mold for the last four months. I was so excited I went to work immediately filling up the molds. I would have to say it has been a very merry soaping kinda day for me.

:problem: Rebatched some salt sample soaps today. Not to exciting. Thought about tossing them since I also did not like the fragrance, but I am not even halfway to having my 1k soap samples made that I need in Oct.

Back