What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made coffee soap in the oven. The oven process was great! Not so sure about the soap, though. I found instant coffee in the cupboard (no telling how long it was there) so I dumped it into a bunch of boiled water. It turned into syrup, so I diluted it to make the soap. But probably not enough. I needed .75 lbs liquid and .404 of it was coffee. The batter looked like Hershey's syrup. I threw 3 oz super fattening oil in after the cook and .75 oz coffee grinds for exfoliant before molding. I had enough leftovers on the sides of the pot to make a blob bar for the kitchen sink, but it's falling apart. I did a patch job on it with lots of water so I'll have to wait until tomorrow to see if it hardens enough to stay together. It lathered well, but I think it lathered brown. I didn't have the light on so I can't be sure. Experimenting is fun. Waiting to see the results is not.

Finally christened my 2lb tall skinny mold and played with some of my new micas from Nurture. Also used a new spicy floral FO so was worried about soap on a stick . . . thank you James for not jinxing me! Unfortunately my hanger tool is a tad too long for the new mold so I ended up spoon swirling. I attempted to pour like Zahida in this video but my batter didn't stay fluid enough ([ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VM6YB3yej5Q[/ame]).

WooHoo! Feeling good. It's been about 5 days since my appendectomy and **** it, I felt like making soap! Made 100% CO, 100% coconut milk soap with 80% fine sea salts. Used BB's Ocean Rain FO. It definitely accelerated an already fast moving recipe and I was gloping the soap into the molds about half way through (I use the BB 12 cavity silicone mold. Love that thing for salt soap). Might not be the prettiest soap out there but it was nice to be making soap again!

Yea for soap!!! Glad your feeling better.

All I've done so far is organize my soap collection this weekend. I have plans for a soap tonight if I finish my work I brought home. Pay work first, then play work.

We had sweat lodge today so all I got to do was show all my soap pics from the last month to the lady who pours for our lodges but it's always so much fun and she always usually wants a bar from each batch, two or three if it's lemongrass :)

I made my own small slab mold! then got to soaping!
11148559_10155569998665646_8183661608179894768_o.jpg

Today I ended up making some lemongrass pachouli soap. It is my first attempt using essential oils in soap so I'm hoping that it sticks!

IMG_0611.JPG

Here's my lemongrass patchouli soap unmolded. I smell WAY more lemongrass than I do a mixture so next time I'll probably change the ratio from 1:1 to 2:1. I love how they look though! And, although they don't smell like I intended, they do smell great!

IMG_0613.JPG

I've been drooling over the bud cutters again but at over £100 plus £50 postage then vat and duty to pay you're getting close to £200 I can't justify it.

Did find one in Germany for £107 plus £11 postage - no vat and duty as within EU - pondering about it!!

I've been wanting to try subbing coffee for the water in my lye solution so I decided to make a scrubby soap. The coffee made the batter a beautiful chocolate color and I added the grounds at trace. I used Cinnamin Hazelnut Coffee by Sweet Cakes and it smells wonderful.

The batter looked like melted chocolate and smelled so good that I can't wait to unmold tomorrow to see how it turned out. I'll try to post pictures after cutting.

I bought two molds, three FOs, three colors, a straight cutter and lavender buds. I though about rendering a few pounds of beef fat; and read soap stuff on the 'net instead of doing it. But now I know how to make a hidden swirl with those swank new colors I bought!

I've been drooling over the bud cutters again but at over £100 plus £50 postage then vat and duty to pay you're getting close to £200 I can't justify it.

Did find one in Germany for £107 plus £11 postage - no vat and duty as within EU - pondering about it!!

Hi Sonya,

Whereabouts in Germany is the soap cutter? Like you, I keep dreaming about the bud cutter...

@Luv2Soap, those unmolded soaps are so cute! They would be cute in yellow and/or green or a combo of, too! I need to try that scent combo, I just made a separate of each last time. So cute!

I unmolded and cut the coffee scrubby soap I made yesterday. I had poured the extra batter into a silicone mold and you can really see the color difference between the gelled and ungelled soap. I like the darker color but really like the smoothness of the lighter soap.

It smells wonderful.

IMG_4442.jpg

Ah yes I too kept dreaming of a bud cutter, may have to save up if it turns out we can get them in the EU!

I unmolded my sample batch of face soap from yesterday.
ImageUploadedBySoap Making1432159603.730936.jpg
I also have a batch of shampoo bars oven processing. I used Agave Lime from NG, and I like how it smells so far.

Back