What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IrishLass... those are beautiful bars. It took me two tries to get the Soaping 101 pencil line sky one to turn out right. Great job!

Well I destroyed my first soap today. The charcoal/tomato paste mix did not go as planned. Think I used too much tomato paste or something because it separated from the charcoal part and stayed totally liquid but the charcoal part hardened. The bottom of the mold had what looked to me like blood clots. Really disgusting. Good thing I am a nurse so I just picked away and cut the hard part and will see what happens. I had looked up pics of peoples soaps that used tomato paste for color and I have successfully used same amount of pumpkin in 2 different soaps. So what am I to do. Get back on the horse and make the other batch I have planned for today. My mixed clay. Wow I hope this goes well LOL First time to use 4 different shades!! Excited

Made a Christmas soap. Mulled wine in with the water, a bit of red colouring and a Christmas Spice FO. It's the most wonderful time of the year, but with the salt bars also resting here, our house is giving me a headache!

View attachment 9635

I forgot the sodium lactate, so it was not overly easy to mould up. Remember kids - use SL!

Despite being a Christmas soap, it looks a lot more like a proper Hollow's Eve soap! :) I love it.

I made bb's ginger lime with some spirulina for color. looks pretty cool.

Also cut my lavender, rosemary & citrus loaf. I put a blue glitter in part of it for fun and it actually looks really cool. My cameras suck and there is no light in my house or I would post a pic. :p

Wow! I would never have thought to use tomato paste in a soap. I can't wait to see pics of this!

finally got my first LS to dilute!!! scented it, and now it's just hanging out. I didn't bother trying to thicken this one (it's 100% CO).

I cut 6 loaves of soap today. This is the lavender spearmint.

ImageUploadedBySoap Making1410833929.421236.jpg

Yesterday, I made some glycerin liquid soap paste, and today I diluted some of it. Next on my list is to make a batch of Salty Sailor soap with sea shell embeds. Hopefully I will be able to get that done tonight or tomorrow.

IrishLass :)

I checked the front doorstop for my Nature's Garden shipment... *sigh* still not here. :(

I finally tried my lard soap I made with some Chloe FO from SOS. I love the in-shower feel, but I kinda regret adding the FO. It smells good and all, but I like being able to use the same soap to bathe with on my face (I bet it would've been heavenly). On the upside, I know that lard is a good choice and will use it again to confirm my opinion.

I just made a Christmas soap with fragrance Candy Cane. So far it's looking gorgeous. I used a green mica sprinkled between red and white layers and did the coat hanger swirl then finished off with a white sparkly glitter and pearl white mica on top. Hope my red turned out :)

Well I destroyed my first soap today. The charcoal/tomato paste mix did not go as planned. Think I used too much tomato paste or something because it separated from the charcoal part and stayed totally liquid but the charcoal part hardened. The bottom of the mold had what looked to me like blood clots. Really disgusting. Good thing I am a nurse so I just picked away and cut the hard part and will see what happens. I had looked up pics of peoples soaps that used tomato paste for color and I have successfully used same amount of pumpkin in 2 different soaps. So what am I to do. Get back on the horse and make the other batch I have planned for today. My mixed clay. Wow I hope this goes well LOL First time to use 4 different shades!! Excited
Tomato paste and tomato extract is a soap I make regularly. Not sure how you were using your tomato paste, but I am really not using it for color, although it is usually a reddish brown in which I do a swirl with batter I seperate and add in charcoal. Also remember to count the tomato paste as a portion of your liquid

I made a batch of my Hemp Swirl even though my house was over 100 degrees today. It miserable to live in a glass house when the weather is 105 degrees. Please bring winter to So CA. I have been going crazy all week not making soap. Going to make another batch of Hemp Swirl in the morning after I get my granddaughter to school.

Last edited:
I destroyed a batch this morning too, after it riced up terribly. Couldn't do a thing with it. My fault for mixing 2 fragrances together/strawberry and raspberry. Won't do that again

I finally tried my lard soap I made with some Chloe FO from SOS. I love the in-shower feel, but I kinda regret adding the FO. It smells good and all, but I like being able to use the same soap to bathe with on my face (I bet it would've been heavenly). On the upside, I know that lard is a good choice and will use it again to confirm my opinion.

I use all my soaps that I use in the shower on my face, that contain either FO or essential oils. I didn't think otherwise. Never had a problem ! Question? Should I not use it on my face?

I use all my soaps that I have made on my face, that contain either FO or essential oils. I didn't think otherwise. Never had a problem ! Question? Should I not use it on my face?

Tomato paste and tomato extract is a soap I make regularly. Not sure how you were using your tomato paste, but I am really not using it for color, although it is usually a reddish brown in which I do a swirl with batter I seperate and add in charcoal. Also remember to count the tomato paste as a portion of your liquid

I made a batch of my Hemp Swirl even though my house was over 100 degrees today. It miserable to live in a glass house when the weather is 105 degrees. Please bring winter to So CA. I have been going crazy all week not making soap. Going to make another batch of Hemp Swirl in the morning after I get my granddaughter to school.

I will try it again. At first everything appeared to come to trace. I poured in the mold. used CPOP then it all looked like it jelled but then liquid started oozing out and before long I had 1/2 cup of orangeish liquid and almost all the fragrance oil I used (Cherry Vanilla). The oil mixture smells like my fragrance and the soap left does not. The soap that is left is very hard and does have a few swirls of the rust colored tomato paste. I am pretty certain I used too much liquid and made it unstable. I will give a 4 week rest to the leftover soap and do a ph strip on it to make use it is not lye heavy because of everything.
Also sorry to hear your house is so hot! I have often thought about getting a house with a wall of windows but alas I live in Texas. Not such a good idea

I destroyed a batch this morning too, after it riced up terribly. Couldn't do a thing with it. My fault for mixing 2 fragrances together/strawberry and raspberry. Won't do that again
With a severly riced soap batter you can usually sb into submission. Let it sit a little while sb for awhile then let it sit a while and rest if necessary. Other dump the mess in a crock pot and cook

Back