What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Living with a scientist:
I asked my DH (a scientist or maybe just a pedant) if he'd help me decant my 25kg bag of NaOH into smaller containers.
DH: Is it a liquid or a solid
Me: It's prills - so a solid
DH: You can't decant a solid only a liquid so I guess the answer to your question is - no, I can't help you.
:beatinghead:

Last edited:
Living with a scientist:
I asked my DH (a scientist or maybe just a pedant) if he'd help me decant my 25kg bag of NaOH into smaller containers.
DH: You can't decant a solid only a liquid so I guess the answer to your question is - no, I can't help you.
:lol: I'm sorry - I can actually relate to this (in my past life) and I understand - but it was just too funny!

the top is so pretty--so what happened to it when you turned the oven on. how long did it take for you to remember it? would still like to see a cut if you are doing one
Thanks Marilyn!
It wasn't in TOO long, maybe 10-15 minutes while the oven was heating, although it was heating to 450F. Sooo :/

I unmolded today and aside from spotting on the sides, touching the silcone mold, it looks ok. It's a bit softer than I anticipated though. (Hardness of 43 according to soap calc.)

I'm not really happy with the inside. It's not bad but not...great. Not quite what I wanted. Oven had nothing to do with that though. I'm also disappointed because I was hoping for more of a coffee smell and with the Turkish Mocha FO, it smells entirely like chocolate.. So I'm sure that's influencing my overall impression.

It's not the worst soap. And not bad for my third batch I guess...

Edit: Cutting this was my soapy thing today! Well...that and obsessing/drooling over fragrance supplies. Not ready to drop $ on the really fancy stuff yet but I can look....

Attachments

• 2019-08-05 22.12.54.jpg
    2019-08-05 22.12.54.jpg
    355.8 KB · Views: 40
  • 2019-08-05 22.13.02.jpg
    2019-08-05 22.13.02.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 44
  • 2019-08-05 22.13.16.jpg
    2019-08-05 22.13.16.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
I have a recipe on soapee that I call "Using Up My Oils" and I calculate the lye based on the amount of oil I have rather than a percentage. I kept staring at what I thought was a small amount of lard in my fridge and couldn't take it anymore. I made a small batch of soap with it tonight. Very simple, one color soap, with just three other oils. I'm kind of liking the ease of a simple recipe!

Thanks Marilyn!
It wasn't in TOO long, maybe 10-15 minutes while the oven was heating, although it was heating to 450F. Sooo :/

I unmolded today and aside from spotting on the sides, touching the silcone mold, it looks ok. It's a bit softer than I anticipated though. (Hardness of 43 according to soap calc.)

I'm not really happy with the inside. It's not bad but not...great. Not quite what I wanted. Oven had nothing to do with that though. I'm also disappointed because I was hoping for more of a coffee smell and with the Turkish Mocha FO, it smells entirely like chocolate.. So I'm sure that's influencing my overall impression.

Edit: Cutting this was my soapy thing today! Well...that and obsessing/drooling over fragrance supplies. Not ready to drop $ on the really fancy stuff yet but I can look....
I like those!

@Lin19687 here ya go
upload_2019-8-6_10-7-53.png

Cucumber Melon Splash (renamed it because the scent is very melon forward). I think the next time I make this I might use a melon color (pink or cantaloupe) instead of the dark green.

upload_2019-8-6_10-8-41.png

The Perfect Man

upload_2019-8-6_10-9-39.png

Lilac (not as purple as it usually is because I doubled the batch and it went fast after I added the FO)

That's all I have pics of at the moment... because I'm a terrible photographer (obviously).

The glycerin melt and pour soap I made is still sweating. This is the first time I've tried MP I usually do CP. When do you wrap it if it keeps sweating !?!? Argh!

I have water soluble TD. I mix a big empty ketchup type bottle with distilled water and TD. I add in a couple of stainless steel marbles, mix, mix, mix and it’s ready to go for several months.
As soon as I use up the oil-soluble TD that I have, I am planning to get a water soluble version. The oil soluble was a pain to get smooth. That's why I decided to just blend it all up so i could use my SB and really work it till it was smooth.

Living with a scientist:
Makes perfect sense to me :)

I had to have some fun after my last soap snafu so I made pumpkin soap. It smells wonderful.

Last edited by a moderator:
The glycerin melt and pour soap I made is still sweating. This is the first time I've tried MP I usually do CP. When do you wrap it if it keeps sweating !?!? Argh!

Melt and pour soap is different to CP salt soap. You do need to shrink wrap melt and pour soap as it will not stop sweating by itself even over time.
CP salt soap does stop sweating and if you wrap that before it has cured out it will just go soggy.

Thanks Marilyn!

Beautiful swirls!

Latest posts

Back