What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am just washing my immersion blender in the dishwasher after remixing my body cream. and am getting ready to do my last bar of soap until payday :( eleven days is not that big of a time frame but it sure seems like it is :beatinghead:

Cut my first all charcoal bar today! Wow, it is different to work with! Pretty happy with the way it turned out though :) Contains oats, clay, coconut milk and rice flour. It is scented with 50% tea tree, 25% lemongrass and 25% lavender.

View attachment 38596
Omg! Beautiful. How much charcoal ppo? New soap business bank account lady asked me if I could make her some charcoal soap. She is currently ordering from out of state

I am just washing my immersion blender in the dishwasher after remixing my body cream. and am getting ready to do my last bar of soap until payday :( eleven days is not that big of a time frame but it sure seems like it is :beatinghead:
But is it nice to have something you enjoy doing so much that you’re miserable when you can’t do it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Omg! Beautiful. How muck charcoal ppo? New soap business bank account lady asked me if I could make her some charcoal soap. She is currently ordering from out of state

Thank you! I wanted it BLACK so I added 1 HEAPING tablespoon per pound of oil. I also did CPOP, I think it helps deepen the color.

@Dawni Thank you so much :)

@Marilyn Norgart Thank you Marilyn :)

Last edited:
Tried making cupcake soap just for fun. Still need loads of practice...but, not bad for my first try. Also made them using Homemade Oat Milk, the llama embed is a little pitiful, but it works with these mini cupcakes. Just gotta keep trying to master piping skills.
InShot_20190426_231747652.jpg

Thank you! I wanted it BLACK so I added 1 HEAPING tablespoon per pound of oil. I also did CPOP, I think it helps deepen the color.

@Dawni Thank you so much :)

@Marilyn Norgart Thank you Marilyn :)
Please let us know if it stains or lathers grey. #inquiringminds

View attachment 38595 Ellie And I are headed to Birmingham for a much overdue visit w/ mom while Janice is visiting our daughter in NYC. I’m also “muling” a few kilos (bars) across the Alabama/Mississippi border to family and friends. Most excited to visit my first soap and candle store and buy bulk supplies. #breakingbad
For those familiar with “Breaking Bad” this is probably amusing. Janice refers to my making soap as “Are you cooking today?”

I've not posted for a while and I've missed being on the forum!
Soapy thing? I've been trying to formulate a soap with lard that uses up some of my oils, except my CO 76, and I'm reading EVERYTHING I can find on lard and HO canola. I'm gonna go post the query in the Lye Soap thread.
I'm SO envious of y'all who are either getting or have gotten soaping stuff!

For those familiar with “Breaking Bad” this is probably amusing. Janice refers to my making soap as “Are you cooking today?”

My husband still has a BB background photo for his FB profile. I have visited BB filming sites multiple times. Alone (two or 3 times), with my granddaughter (at least twice) & also with my husband (once). It's always fun to do a BB filming site visits while in Albuquerque.

Please let us know if it stains or lathers grey. #inquiringminds

I expected it to have a gray lather and it does! I made this for a lady I work with. She wants it for her teenage granddaughters that have oily and acne prone skin. It is a gentle recipe. I tested an end piece and I know from experience if I can get a good lather 24 hours later it is going to be a great soap :) My camera lens was fogging in the second photo. No staining but I wouldn't use a white washcloth, lol!

Charcoal 1.jpg
Charcoal2.jpg

nice lather. do you find as your charcoal soaps age the lather is darker? some of the soap I made with charcoal wasn't bad at first but I just used some the other day (maybe 4 months later) and the lather seems to be a lot grayer

nice lather. do you find as your charcoal soaps age the lather is darker? some of the soap I made with charcoal wasn't bad at first but I just used some the other day (maybe 4 months later) and the lather seems to be a lot grayer

Not sure Marilyn as this is the first time I have made a "full" charcoal bar. I have used charcoal before but in small amounts just to color and never noticed much of a problem. I will see how it goes. I don't mind the gray lather due to the fact that it rinses off cleanly. I don't know about using white washcloths though.

Last edited:
Lovely soap photos :), but would love to see these posted in the Photo Gallery instead of here, it's a bit quiet over there :p.
Thought this was more for chat about what you did today and posted photos go in the gallery.

Lovely soap photos :), but would love to see these posted in the Photo Gallery instead of here, it's a bit quiet over there :p.
Thought this was more for chat about what you did today and posted photos go in the gallery.
I kinda go back and forth on this. Often I’ll post a note with photo about the process of how I made soap today...what went right, wrong, how it molded, etc. Then you have the cut photo that folks want to see the next day, so I hate to make readers go somewhere else to see the reveal or maybe not realize that the final photo in the gallery is related to the prior day post. Sometime I put the photo in the gallery and put a link in the “What soapy thing” topic... It’s a hard decision: Put your awesome finished photo in the gallery for people to see forever or keep the entire thread together in “What soapy thing...”

I kinda go back and forth on this. Often I’ll post a note with photo about the process of how I made soap today...what went right, wrong, how it molded, etc. Then you have the cut photo that folks want to see the next day, so I hate to make readers go somewhere else to see the reveal or maybe not realize that the final photo in the gallery is related to the prior day post. Sometime I put the photo in the gallery and put a link in the “What soapy thing” topic... It’s a hard decision: Put your awesome finished photo in the gallery for people to see forever or keep the entire thread together in “What soapy thing...”
Sorry. I corrected the 400 typos in this original post.

I expected it to have a gray lather and it does! I made this for a lady I work with. She wants it for her teenage granddaughters that have oily and acne prone skin. It is a gentle recipe. I tested an end piece and I know from experience if I can get a good lather 24 hours later it is going to be a great soap :) My camera lens was fogging in the second photo. No staining but I wouldn't use a white washcloth, lol!

View attachment 38603 View attachment 38604

Would you knock back the charcoal a bit if making again? If so, to what?

I am trying to incorporate hand made soap into jelly soap. Haven't had any luck. I think the salts in the soap interrupt the gelling action of the agar agar. I'm going for a vegan jelly soap. I will try adding carrageenan this afternoon. My kids are having a blast with all of my experiments. Who knew that pouring half set jello over them would be so fun!

My Micas and More order should be here today!!!!!!!! Wheeeeeeee
It’s so fun to get new colors and fragrances!

Cut my first all charcoal bar today! Wow, it is different to work with! Pretty happy with the way it turned out though :) Contains oats, clay, coconut milk and rice flour. It is scented with 50% tea tree, 25% lemongrass and 25% lavender.

View attachment 38596
Love your swirls! The whole thing is so elegant.

Back