What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's one example: https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/mp-soap-standard.68888/#post-683699
It is my post, but I learned about IFRA here at SMF, as well as the soapmaking seminars I have attended in the first couple of years of soapmaking. And I am not the only member here who has made that recommendation or included a link to the actual IFRA website for finding safe usage amounts.

Here's the link to the International Fragrance Association (IFRA) standards website where I go when I want to look up safe usage information:

http://www.ifraorg.org/en-us/standards#.XLtbR6ROm00

I do understand that the EU does have stricter rules in regards to certification of cosmetic products which in the EU includes soap, but am not as familiar with them since I have no experience in that arena. But I do notice that there are sections on the IFRA site that specify EU and UK information, but I haven't read the linked articles. The US federal regulations for soap are somewhat different, as not all soap is considered cosmetic, so that is one major difference. Although some smaller municipalities (states and local governments) who do sometimes have stricter regulations within the US.

I am not saying I don't believe you about the site you mentioned. I just wanted to point out that IFRA is used by some fragrance sellers in the US (here is one example of a US seller of FO's that uses IFRA in its sales of FO's: https://rusticescentuals.com/Jasmine-White.html) and that some (maybe many) soapmakers in the US do follow IFRA guidelines because it is wise to do so.
And another example of a US company that sells IFRA compliant fragrances (and includes allergen information as well): https://www.naturesgardencandles.com/fragrance-oils

No you did not offend me at all. I just was attempting to clear up what I felt was a misunderstanding.

I tried looking up the website you mentioned, but my Google search for "whicknwhacks" was not forthcoming. Do you have a link? I would be pleased to read through it and learn a bit more about what you are saying in regards to the American brands of FO's they are selling. But to be clear, not all FO's or EO's are safe in soap or any other product to touch the skin, so that would not surprise me. Some fragrances are sold to be used only in wax melts, etc. So maybe that's the type of fragrances they buy from the US. I don't really know, of course, but that seems most likely to me. I could be wrong of course, because, as we all know, not every company that makes or sells products is necessarily scrupulous.

Okay, I found the site (your previous post left out a letter, which is why I couldn't find it at first), if this is it:
https://www.whicksnwhacks.com/about-us-1-w.asp

I will read a bit on the site to get a picture of what you are seeing.

Okay, is this what you are referring to:
"Although these oils are passed for use in soap and body products in the USA, due to additional EU requirements they are not considered to be suitable for use in bath and body products in the EU without additional allergen testing to comply with EU regulations."
That makes sense to me. It's the allergen testing that the EU requires that the source in the US has not provided. Allegen testing of cosmetic products in the US is probably not as strict as the EU, at least not yet, and who knows if it will ever be the same.

Of course they don't say what vendors in the US they got those products from, so that's not to say all US vendors don't include the required information. After all many US soap manufacturers also sell in the EU and they are required to follow the rules for sales in the EU, same as the EU based companies. So those companies (Proctor & Gamble, is one example - they make Irish Spring, which is available in the UK, as I found it there.)
Interesting to note - I lived in the UK for ten years and everytime when I went to a new salon to have my hair coloured, they made you take a skin test for the hair dye. They would put a small dab on your inner arm, and put tape over it. You had to leave it for 24 hours, and if there was no irritation only then would they proceed with the hair colouring. I was very annoyed that i had to take part in that process - I have been dying my hair off and on for over 30 years and have never had a problem! But no-one would do it unless you had an approved 'skin text' first. Once you were on their records and a regular, it was fine - but first timers, no way!

I cut the last of the soaps that were previously made. They needed the tops cut to fit the boxes.
I then seperated the tops to Manly, Floral, fruity & Fall.
Before a show I will bag up a bunch and sell them as sample bags. This way I am not losing a ton of money nor tossing out soap ....... or sending 8# of slivers to @amd :cool::p

@Chris_S I wish I had a way with the fairies, might have made life easier or maybe it's karma consorting with my fallen comrades? :p

Is the Dawn in the US the exact alternative to Fairy? We don't have it here but growing up, and then going back for work, in the middle east, we only used that.

Anyway, back to soapy thing. I checked on my soaps and the green indigo I made is super soft even after 2.5 days :( and I'm now worried it won't ever get hard.

I know it should get harder over the next several weeks but I've not made HP this soft ever and I'm wondering if I made a mistake in weighing the water, which I've also never done before. Now this definitely needs a proper remake, a harder blue soap the ideal outcome lol

Interesting to note - I lived in the UK for ten years and everytime when I went to a new salon to have my hair coloured, they made you take a skin test for the hair dye. They would put a small dab on your inner arm, and put tape over it. You had to leave it for 24 hours, and if there was no irritation only then would they proceed with the hair colouring. I was very annoyed that i had to take part in that process - I have been dying my hair off and on for over 30 years and have never had a problem! But no-one would do it unless you had an approved 'skin text' first. Once you were on their records and a regular, it was fine - but first timers, no way!

That is so cool, KiwiMoose, but of course I can see how it would be annoying. I haven't colored my hair for decades; let it go with its natural white quite a long time ago. But I used to color it myself from about age 14 or 15 until I let it go natural at about 50. Never had bad reactions to any hair dyes, but boy did the perms fumes bother me. That long ago, though (and it was quite a long time ago) no one in the US was doing skin test for that stuff in any of the salons I knew about. But I am talking 1970's when I had my last perm, so not very recent.

However, my granddaughter had to wait for a perm until her hair grew out several inches and even then they wouldn't do it unless she had some of those inches cut off. I went with her & her mom for that last perm and was really impressed by the fact that they put the welfare of the client's hair first over making a sale. That's not how it was when I was her age.

I made my first batch of soap dough. Used Soap Sorcery's recipe and neon soap colorant from MoldMarket. I want to try the 'Galaxy' soap I saw Mama Bass Handmade Soap create. I see that here on the forum, midnightsoaper also made some fantastic looking galaxy bars! I hope it is ok to copy - I will give credit to the originator for sure...Or is this a case of 'there is nothing new under the sun - so go for it' situation?

I have used mainly FOs but find myself going with EOs lately. it is hard not to buy different scents to try but I am finding also that I am liking unscented a lot too

Saves a lot of money, not to mention heartache from seize or discoloration. ;)

they made you take a skin test for the hair dye.

In Canada, anyway, all packages of hair dye (for home use) say you should do an allergy test *every time* you use a hair dye (even the same brand) as it's very easy to develop a dye allergy apparently. I live on the wild side and NEVER DO IT, but I can't say I wasn't warned....

Saves a lot of money, not to mention heartache from seize or discoloration. ;)

true, I like the GM, beer and aloe vera unscented--they seem to be very gentle on the skin. I haven't had a soap truly seize on me but have had other issues--some were just me over SB. but there are some wonderful FOs and EOs out there that I truly love and am glad I bought them--well worth the money for me

full

Love your soaps! Did you post the cuts yet? The colors are wonderful to me.

That’s interesting. The ones I’ve used—cheap/crappy ones I’m guessing—end up with a chemical smell as they cure.

To remind anyone who cares, FOs are chemical scents, though can sometimes contain EO (s) in the blend. Yes I know everything technically is a chemical, but it's not the same. In a world where we are bombarded with chemicals against an individual's potential own will, none of which have been tested in combination because it would be nigh impossible due to the sheer number of possibilities, I personally feel it is foolhardy to voluntarily add more chemicals to the existing toxic burden on one's temple. ;) I don't give a rip How "divine' it smells.

Last edited by a moderator:
Took most of the weekend, but I made a soap dungeon! We've had a 3 br apartment in our basement the entire time we've owned the house (11+ years). After some tenant troubles (how many times can the police visit one house, anyway??) and a desire for more storage space, we got rid of all 3 tenants and have reclaimed the space. My wife gets a workshop, I get a soap storage room AND a section of another storage room AND A FULL KITCHEN (and bathroom and laundry room if I want :p). The kids get a media room and ping pong room. I all I had to do was clean the whole thing....good thing for 3-day weekends.
Now all I need is the TIME to soap....and without the rental income, some more money ;-)

hahahahahahaha OMG that's funny--I bet they sell fast, do you market them with the TP and oh.... even after seeing that I want some fudge
Surprisingly, yes, they do sell quickly. People get a laugh out of them. I also made Unicorn Poop soap, which was also very popular with little girls; they were sprinkled with glitter, too. ;)

I don't include the TP with the soap but that would sure be funny, wouldn't it?

20180922_184040_HDR.jpg

Back