What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Trimmed my red/yellow/orange soaps today. The surface is really crumbly and dry on top, with a network of fine cracks. Kind of waxy, and not at all zappy (I tested several spots on each bar as well as the crumbs from trimming). The crumbly surface is a millimeter or two deep, on top and around the original sides. It's maybe just a shade or so paler than the inside of the soap, not a big color difference. Hasn't appeared (yet) on the inside cut surfaces or on the bottom. My first guess is that it's at least in part because of the steep water discount I used. Someone else here made soap recently with a very high lye concentration, and had a similar crumbly texture. My tentative conclusion is that low water makes crumbly soap. I'll shift to using a lower lye concentration and see if it keeps happening.

Oakmoss & Amber soap

Made this yesterday. I really love this fragrance! Kind of unisex scent. I used a hanger swirl. Colors are slate blue, yellow, turquoise and black.

oakmoss.jpg

oakmoss1.jpg

Someone else here made soap recently with a very high lye concentration, and had a similar crumbly texture. My tentative conclusion is that low water makes crumbly soap. I'll shift to using a lower lye concentration and see if it keeps happening.

What lye concentration did you use? My regular recipe is 35% lye concentration with no issue.

Y'all are totally right on needing support for a t&s! I don't have access to a garage or any woodcrafty friends, so I ended up making a duct tape girdle for it. Seems to be okay for now :)

Boo!

Playing around with some Halloween colors

CO 36%
PO 24%
OO 35 %
Shea Butter 5%
Premix 50/50 (added additional to offfset the CA)
Distilled Water
Citric Acid
ROE
Lavandin/Lemongrass EO
Neon Orange/Yellow Pigment
Purple Vibrance Mica

This is the first soap I've made with CA and/or ROE

IMG_1301 - Copy.jpg

Last edited:
Y'all are totally right on needing support for a t&s! I don't have access to a garage or any woodcrafty friends, so I ended up making a duct tape girdle for it. Seems to be okay for now :)

I have a one pound mold I love, and made one with popsicle sticks!
I reinforced the hinges with duct tape. Maybe you can put it together with duct tape without the hinges. That is what McGyver would do!

Just lat the sticks side by side, and put one across as a picket fence with wood or hot glue.

20170829_221312_resized.jpg

What a great idea, SunRiseArts! I've used cardboard on either side of some thinner silicone molds and it's an iffy proposition when I do that; sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't make much difference.

I think I'll try your wooden sticks method. I'll look for some tongue depressors because they are wider than pop-sickle sticks. So how did you attach the hinges? Do they have those tiny little nails? Or do they have screws?

How does the duct tape hold up with CPOP? I once used duct tape on a muffler of an old car I had, and it held for quite a long time, but eventually the adhesive gave way (due to the heat, I expect.) So I've never given much thought to using duct tape in areas that would be exposed to a lot of heat since then.

Well... I have been busy! 2 batches this week. I will attach pictures. Made purple roses with whipped soap frosting for the lavender soap.

Your soaps and your website look great divine. Wish I was having as much success in producing beautiful soaps! I seem to struggle with ricing and seizing issues that regularly need the crockpot to the rescue...

Your soaps and your website look great divine. Wish I was having as much success in producing beautiful soaps! I seem to struggle with ricing and seizing issues that regularly need the crockpot to the rescue...

Thank you - trial and error I guess. When I mix the lye and oil, I always use a whisk first. Then maybe 5-6 pulse on the immersion blender. I'm very careful about which scents I get - I always read the reviews about ricing and seizing. If the oils do that - I find another scent. Except for dragon's blood - always seizes - but I love the scent soooooo much - that I adjust!

^^^^^ Ditto.

I found them at Hobby Lobby.

I love duct tape! They have so many pretty designs these days. I found some at Dollar Tree.

I don't shop at Hobby Lobby. They are never open whenever I've tried to shop there, so I don't waste my time on them anymore. I can order some from Amazon or just go to WalMart. There's even a Walgreen's in my small town, and I know they sell them, too. Or maybe I'll go to the dentist. :)

Yes, I have seen all those fancy duct tape designs, too. But I don't believe the ones at Dollar General would fit the bill for what I generally use Duct Tape for. Even the old standard silver colored stuff has failed me in some applications, so I tend to go for the sturdiest ones I can find available.

Interesting reading about Duct Tape: https://kitup.military.com/2006/11/they_call_it_10.html

Well it wasn't today, but last weekend... My husband made his FIRST SOAP!!! Now he wants to quit his job and make soap full time. :think:

:shark:I've created a monster!!! (I might make it even worse by giving him my log in info here so he can read the wealth of info you all share so generously.)
Attaching a pic of his soap. I cannot find the sunset photo he used as inspiration.
-LisaB

Kansas Sunset by Kevin.jpeg

What a great idea, SunRiseArts! I've used cardboard on either side of some thinner silicone molds and it's an iffy proposition when I do that; sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't make much difference.

I think I'll try your wooden sticks method. I'll look for some tongue depressors because they are wider than pop-sickle sticks. So how did you attach the hinges? Do they have those tiny little nails? Or do they have screws?

How does the duct tape hold up with CPOP? I once used duct tape on a muffler of an old car I had, and it held for quite a long time, but eventually the adhesive gave way (due to the heat, I expect.) So I've never given much thought to using duct tape in areas that would be exposed to a lot of heat since then.

Thanks! I cut them with chicken type scissors, and those sticks are the 1 inch wide, got them at the dollar store!

I actually glued the hinges. They do bring screws, but I was afraid they could hurt the mold. I got them 4 for a dollar at hobby lobby in the wood section. But honestly, I do not think they are necessary. I think putting duct tape to hold them together is better because when you get the mold out is easier. And you could flat it for storage.

Well it wasn't today, but last weekend... My husband made his FIRST SOAP!!! Now he wants to quit his job and make soap full time. :think:

:shark:I've created a monster!!! (I might make it even worse by giving him my log in info here so he can read the wealth of info you all share so generously.)
Attaching a pic of his soap. I cannot find the sunset photo he used as inspiration.
-LisaB

gorgeous, but don't let him quit his job!

gorgeous, but don't let him quit his job!
No way! Once he said that, I gave him a rundown of how soaping will NOT replace his income. fingerwaggingfingerwagging

(But sadly, due to his recent quad bypass, it is likely I will be taking over the 'bringing home the bacon' bit soon. At least he will have a hobby that we can share.)

Back