What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good point, how quick can DOS form? I've been using these for a couple of months now but like that the air is really circulating well although I put tissue on top of the drawers to keep dust off. Also on top of the soaps in the drawers.

I don't know how quickly it can form but you also won't know what happens to your soap once it leaves your hands. Is it really worth the risk?
The air will still circulate with a tea towel or other thin cotton under them.

I *think* I am finished with the challenge, yay! (◕‿◕✿)

I made 5 soaps. Three soaps are green/blue/white/grey`ish type of stones, with squiggly marks, bumps and whatnot.

And I made grey (i.e boring) types of large stones/pebbles, the type you don`t even look twice at when you see them on the ground. But they are large, not small, so will be able to gift these to some gentlemen after they are done curing (the soaps, not the gentlemen! I don`t have gentlemen in my cupboard, curing! Or... do I...??? ⚆ _ ⚆ )

I think the ones I will submit is the colorfull ones, not the blah ones.

When I have made up my mind I will post the ones I won`t submit. They are really unasuming and blah, but then again, that is also why I made them! (¬‿¬)

Good point, how quick can DOS form? I've been using these for a couple of months now but like that the air is really circulating well although I put tissue on top of the drawers to keep dust off. Also on top of the soaps in the drawers.

I don't know how quickly it can form but you also won't know what happens to your soap once it leaves your hands. Is it really worth the risk?
The air will still circulate with a tea towel or other thin cotton under them.

Soapstars, even plastic coating on metal can deteriorate, so placing soap to cure directly on top is risky. If you fear a towel will inhibit air flow, perhaps you can insert plastic mesh (like the kind used for needlepoint or for lining cupboards) inside the drawers. That's what I use inside my curing trays to lift the soap up and provide a little extra air-flow on the bottoms.

Like this:
DAR-91601.jpg
9k=

Or this: https://www.googleadservices.com/pa...ahUKEwjZt9nGqdLVAhUV3YMKHc2qA00Qwg8IMg&adurl=
8600-BLA_1.jpg

Soapstars, even plastic coating on metal can deteriorate, so placing soap to cure directly on top is risky. If you fear a towel will inhibit air flow, perhaps you can insert plastic mesh (like the kind used for needlepoint or for lining cupboards) inside the drawers. That's what I use inside my curing trays to lift the soap up and provide a little extra air-flow on the bottoms.

earlene, that's brilliant! My curing rack is coated steel wire and it hadn't yet occurred to me that the coating on the wires might degrade from the soap. I don't know if I'd recommend using something like the non slip shelf liner, but needlepoint mesh should work perfectly, and is easy to cut to size.

I'm kind of reluctant to cut into my block of blue lace agate soap. It looks so pretty just as it is. But I should be able to get 3 or 4 usefully large 'stones' out of it, and probably 5 or 6 from my emerald block.

MySoapyHeart, why not use the 'boring' grey stones you made as a base to display the more colorful ones for a few pictures? As far as keeping gentlemen in your soap cupboard... as long as you clean up after them and make sure they're fed, then you can keep them. *stern parent look*

I love this thread!

So I've had this OO infused with annatto seeds sitting on my shelf and I just had to use it. I added used the soap calcl to figure out a great concoction with what I had on hand and it looks delightful. I used green tea and lemongrass fo from bulk apothecary and it smells wonderful. It makes me so happy:wave:

So I've had this OO infused with annatto seeds sitting on my shelf and I just had to use it. I added used the soap calcl to figure out a great concoction with what I had on hand and it looks delightful. I used green tea and lemongrass fo from bulk apothecary and it smells wonderful. It makes me so happy:wave:

Pictures, pictures, I love pictures!

Goddess your soaps are so beautiful! The cocoa one is stunning!

These mesh drawers are painted and so not in contact with any bare metal, can DOS still occur on this kind of spray painted metal mesh? Anyone know for sure please? The only DOS I have seen so far was in a box in a cupboard where some soap had limited airflow after curing.

I see, thanks earlene. Sorry just posted another question before I saw this from you.

Experiment day today. Had some "off" cooking oil I didn't really want to toss in the trash, so used it to try out some hardware store lye by withholding some good lard and hot processing at zero SF. After half an hour of waiting for the oil to warm up for hot processing, I figured out that the ceramic insert will go in the microwave -- I'm a bit slow, eh?

Got it up to temp (200F) and dumped in the hot lye, and it went pretty well. Also discovered I have a multi-speed stick blender (again, I'm a bit slow) and that you really must keep blending if you want fast hot process, even when it's thick. It will stay at applesauce for an hour otherwise, and goes pretty much to vaseline as soon as you get the blender going again. I'll get this figured out sooner or later....

Used Bulk Apothecary Amberwood Moss to scent it (20 drops -- yeah, I don't like strong scents) and it's OK. Won't use it for shaving soap, certainly, but it should be OK for bath soap. Not really my cup of tea, so to speak.

All in all a fun day, although I really should have been working in the garden.

Latest posts

Back