What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had a think about how to make Felted Soap with my Soy fiber I use for wigs... I tried yesterday evening, much more difficult than I expected *cries*

I just made my first batch of soap! I'm so excited to see how it turns out! :D

Congratulations. That is so satisfying!

^^^Earlene,
I think I'd drop the temperature a bit before I blamed the additives. 125 degrees is high for a batch you want to colour even if you are using Shea or CO.

It's a slow to trace recipe, which is why I used higher temps this time, but maybe I'll try a little lower tomorrow. As it turns out the FOs I used do cause problems, but I didn't do the research. I know, I should have done. If Hubby goes to work tomorrow, I'll do the recipe again without the FOs and maybe a bit cooler and see how it goes. Room temperature is too cold for this recipe, though.

Had a think about how to make Felted Soap with my Soy fiber I use for wigs... I tried yesterday evening, much more difficult than I expected *cries*

I've done some felting and some fibers don't wet felt well unless they are included in a blend with wool. But some of those same fibers do dry felt just fine. Here is a link addressing a test to felt alternative fibers. When I felt soap, I generally do a combination of dry needle felting and wet felting, depending on the fibers and the design. (I felted the soap in my avatar using wet felting and needle felting techniques using wool roving and silk.)

Some people are allergic to wool, so soap felted in alternative fibers is a great idea. I wish you every success.

I sent a large portion of my ugly, cloudy first ever batch of liquid soap (diluted) home with my sister today to get it out of the house. It still washes, but it sure ain't pretty! That and planned a pair of Christmas batches. I have coworkers that want some soap bars and my mother wants to take some to work for her coworkers, so I need to get those underway in the next couple of weeks I guess.

Decided to rebatch the portions of soap that looks like corn-beefed hash. Ugly ugly looking as a soap. I had cut the soaps yesterday and left them overnight and when I started trimming the edges I thought they are just too ugly with pretty tops and corned-beef on the bottom. Who would want to use them? So I broke off the hash soap and turned the rest of the pretty soap into guest sized soaps. They will work out better and they smell so good! Anyway it occurred to me last night that I have some black oxide that I can use and turn the corn-beefed hash looking soap into something more like black granite soap. That will look so much better!

Congratulations. That is so satisfying!
It's a slow to trace recipe, which is why I used higher temps this time, but maybe I'll try a little lower tomorrow. As it turns out the FOs I used do cause problems, but I didn't do the research. I know, I should have done. If Hubby goes to work tomorrow, I'll do the recipe again without the FOs and maybe a bit cooler and see how it goes. Room temperature is too cold for this recipe, though.

Yes I can't do my recipes at room temp either.
Heat of the lye was all that caused my last batch to accelerate. So annoying because I wanted a slow recipe. But somep FOs can be a pain too.

I just cut the loaf! Below the pictures are in the mold, one bar, and all the bars lined up to cure!

(Just uploaded the pictures... I can't seem to rotate the last two to be vertical. Sorry!)

IMG_2391.jpg

IMG_2392.jpg

IMG_2393.jpg

Nice creamy soap :)

Attempted to unmold some melt and pour experiments. Yea, I am not liking this. Molds are currently in the freezer, which means I get to deal with glycerin dew. Wonder how long I can leave em in the freezer.... First ones unmolded fine, second ones not so well....maybe thats why Ihad the bottle of mineral oil with the molds...

Next up is making a batch of pine tar soap. I like using it but not a fan of making it....bleh..... so I'm prepping for that.

Decided to rebatch the portions of soap that looks like corn-beefed hash. Ugly ugly looking as a soap. I had cut the soaps yesterday and left them overnight and when I started trimming the edges I thought they are just too ugly with pretty tops and corned-beef on the bottom. Who would want to use them? So I broke off the hash soap and turned the rest of the pretty soap into guest sized soaps. They will work out better and they smell so good! Anyway it occurred to me last night that I have some black oxide that I can use and turn the corn-beefed hash looking soap into something more like black granite soap. That will look so much better!

This is not the rebatch of the corned-beef hash, but a picture to show the 'before'. I'll cut the do-over tomorrow. I have a big brick of 'black granite'. So it looks much better now. Hopefully cut it will look even better.

Here's what it looked like before I removed the corned-beef hash soap from the pretty soap. This was from an almost soap on a stick that I was going to do a ribbon pour with on top of a base. The purpose of the base was so I wouldn't have to pour so deep for the ribbon pour. Nothing worked out well for this soap!

Well, except that I did get the Alaska Glacier look I was looking for when I had to change direction from ribbon pour to fancy footwork to turn thick soap into something better than plop into the mold. I am happy with the way the top part actually does resemble the blue bits visible in the glaciers in Alaska. I don't normally do rough-top soaps because I am not a fan, but in this case, I felt a rough top was most fitting.

Alaska%20Glacier%20atop%20Corned-Beef%20Hash%202016Sept10.jpg

I turned the top portion of the soap into guest sized soaps, leaving some of them with rough tops because it works with the theme.

Been browsing some of the threads I missed since August (busy with soaping which I'm glad).

I had several batches with DOS recently and now investigating the issue, I have to put on hold my soaping plans for now. Suspecting the olive oil I got cheaper than usual, I made a pound of castille two days ago (which turned mushy when defrosted and I've HP'ed it again). While waiting to cut the castile, will test other oils to. The DOS usually appear after 2-3weeks which is a headache to wait...hope to find the culprit soon so I can make breastmilk soaps for two new mommies :)

I ordered a planer and activated charcoal from Amazon. I didn't really want to buy a planer/beveler, but decided although my vegetable peeler (stainless steel) does a very good job of beveling, it does not work as a planer. And peeling off a straight flat surface of the face of my soap after it's already cut just doesn't work with my soap cutter. So I ordered the planer. And I want to use the activated charcoal to make tooth soap. Still don't have the peanut oil, but I have to go to the cities to find that and I haven't felt like taking that trip just yet. I may do that tomorrow, though since I may be going to my doctor's office and he's a few towns away. Also I need more olive oil, so I have to go to the cities for that, too.

Took some photos of my 'black granite' soap. That's all to soapy stuff for today. Not much, really.

ETA: Here is the re-do of the corned-beef-hash looking bottoms of the Alaska Glacier atop Corned-Beef Hash Soap a couple of posts above. I cut off the tops and kept them, but turned the ugly bottoms into this:

Black%20Granite%20Soap%202016Sept12.jpg

I think this looks much better!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back