What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just about all packed up for my fair this weekend. Off to the Tulip Festival in Holland MI. First show of the year.

Good luck! I hope you have a great weekend.

What's laundry butter, please earlene?

Suzie, it's like or maybe it is a whipped soap I guess. It's made with 100% CO (zero superfat) soap, grated up, then .... to save typing time, I wrote about it here. And this is the link to the recipe I use.

Sorry for being so lazy.

~ ~ ~ ~

More soapy stuff: Oooh, yuck. I do not like the pumpkin seed oil soap I made. It is so slimy!! Well, I will give it more time, and I don't usually do lather tests so early into the cure. Who knows, it might be much better later. But right now, gross and disgusting.

The red palm oil soap is questionable, too. I love the fragrance, Vanilla Love Dust from NG, but I am not impressed by the lather at this point. Again, I don't usually do lather tests so early in the cure.

I do like the reduced cleansing formula for the carrot juice soap I made. It lathers beautifully and feels so nice on my skin.

I made all 3 test batches 7 days ago and read here over the last couple of days people suggesting that weekly lather tests were educational to the soaper, so I thought I'd give it a try. Not sure I want to make this a regular practice, after today's experience, but we will see how it goes.

One other thing I did was look back at my single oil soaps from last August and I can tell you I do not like the looks of two or three of them for sure. The Crisco soap, which originally started out a very white white, now is a horribly disappointing orangish tan color. I already knew I did not like Crisco soap, but now am beginning to wonder if I even ever want it as an ingredient, even in a pinch. It is also sweating and it's 8 months old. I don't think I noticed it sweating before. So I need to add that to my documentation of that experiment. I am not sure I want to keep them all for a year at this point, but that was the goal, so I suppose I will.

However, I am now not in the mood to grate soap, so that will have to wait until tomorrow.

updated soap notes on prior batches, ordered more micas from Nurture. I keep trying to buy more EO's (my scent choices are extremely limited atm) but can't bring myself to spend the money. Maybe I should just make unscented soap!

Thanks for the links earlene.

Maybe I should just make unscented soap!

My favourite soap in the shower at the moment is an unscented Bastille Guspuppy. Sometimes simple is just the thing. I have extended family members who "order" this one from me as they have sensitive skin and it works for them. Didn't think I'd like it as much as I do, actually, as I do like scented soap, but it just feels good.

Today I finally got my packaging for soaps sorted, so now just waiting on the glossy stickers to arrive and very excited to be having a somewhat new look. I also introduced a new soap to my fb page which is a beautiful soft rose purchased from a supplier here in Aussie. I was pleasantly surprised as it played nice enough to do a drop type swirl so very happy about that.

Lynnz Artisan - logo (5 of 8) (002).jpg

The trouble with clearing things out and reorganizing your space is you have to trash your space to unclutter your space. I am trying to unclutter my home and make room for my soaping obsession. I've cleared out my "sewing" room, which is a room I designated in 2009 as my craft room. I've cleared out the corner that had my shelves for the soaping supplies and moved that shelf set into the curing room because I don't have anymore space for soap to cure. I had a bunch of plastic "drawers" left over from my mother that are now holding a lot of the soaping supplies, which is actually good, because it keeps the dust and dog hair off of them. However, I've lost a lot of height for storage. I'm going to have to see if I can buy more of those plastic things and stack them on top of the ones I already have. (That sounds like a disaster waiting to happen!) I still have a bunch of kitchen equipment that I don't really use anymore that I can put away and use that space for soaping supplies. But, everything is looking much neater than it was before, especially my micas. They're not in paper bags any more!

IMG_0084.jpg

IMG_0085.jpg

The trouble with clearing things out and reorganizing your space is you have to trash your space to unclutter your space. I am trying to unclutter my home and make room for my soaping obsession. I've cleared out my "sewing" room, which is a room I designated in 2009 as my craft room. I've cleared out the corner that had my shelves for the soaping supplies and moved that shelf set into the curing room because I don't have anymore space for soap to cure. I had a bunch of plastic "drawers" left over from my mother that are now holding a lot of the soaping supplies, which is actually good, because it keeps the dust and dog hair off of them. However, I've lost a lot of height for storage. I'm going to have to see if I can buy more of those plastic things and stack them on top of the ones I already have. (That sounds like a disaster waiting to happen!) I still have a bunch of kitchen equipment that I don't really use anymore that I can put away and use that space for soaping supplies. But, everything is looking much neater than it was before, especially my micas. They're not in paper bags any more!

I did the same with my micas. Put labels on top of them so I can tell what is what without picking them up I mean. I have little notes and codes on mine as well. If anything ever happened to me, no one will be able to figure out what the heck I'm talking about on them lol

I did the same with my micas. Put labels on top of them so I can tell what is what without picking them up I mean. I have little notes and codes on mine as well. If anything ever happened to me, no one will be able to figure out what the heck I'm talking about on them lol

Excellent idea. I'd like to eventually do something like that with my colorants and my fragrances. I'd put things in there about how intense the color is at a certain amount per 100 or 200 gm of batter. And how a particular fo behaves when soaping; what it smells like while soaping and after the cure. I'll probably do a spreadsheet or a database, though. I'm hoping that I'll be able to maintain that kind of information in Soapmaker when I eventually buy it. I've got to get a new computer first.

Today I finally got my packaging for soaps sorted, so now just waiting on the glossy stickers to arrive and very excited to be having a somewhat new look. I also introduced a new soap to my fb page which is a beautiful soft rose purchased from a supplier here in Aussie. I was pleasantly surprised as it played nice enough to do a drop type swirl so very happy about that.

Stunning!!

I made two small batches of lye-heavy soap. one is 100% olive oil and the other avocado. I had no idea avocado oil would behave so differently from olive oil.

I also used BB's Black Tea and Spiced Amber Ale respectively/ I was initially underwhelmed but the scents grew on me. They are both much more masculine than I thought they'd be.

I threw out my weepy oily trichnomania soap. My first real failure in a loooong time. I must have just not blended long enough.

Blended some colors for this weekend, planning for some father's day soaps with my manly scents.

I blogged about my Soleseife, made on Thursday and unmolded this morning. I should have waited another day as it was still a bit soft. It's just for me, though, so aesthetics aren't as important. I'm also planning on making a Buttermilk Bastille soap... after my husband gets up. After that, it's prepping time for Mother's Day dinner (pork ribs in the crock pot).

soleseife2.jpg

I blogged about my Soleseife, made on Thursday and unmolded this morning. I should have waited another day as it was still a bit soft. It's just for me, though, so aesthetics aren't as important. I'm also planning on making a Buttermilk Bastille soap... after my husband gets up. After that, it's prepping time for Mother's Day dinner (pork ribs in the crock pot).

Sounds like a plan. :mrgreen:

Today I'm formulating a miscellaneous oil soap. I've got dribs and dabs of a bunch of different oils that need to be used up so I don't have to move them. A lot were initially bought for B&B - so much pricier and in teeny amounts than I would sacrifice to the lye monster. With my luck I'll probably love it best and want to reproduce it... I guess I'll call it an overstuffed facial bar??

1.5% jojoba
1% Evening Primrose
5% Sunflower
1% Sea Buckthorn
6% hemp
2% pumpkin
etc...

Latest posts

Back