What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rows of FO test soaps always float my boat!

tempImageLDxjsl.png

Made my 9th batch of soap today. I kept it simple: same as my first recipe (whose vibes I like), but I replaced a bit of the sweet almond oil with castor oil to see if I can get more lather. It's the first time I've felt fairly competent during the process.

30% olive
30% palm
15% coconut
10% sweet almond
5% castor
5% shea butter
5% cocoa butter

Rows of FO test soaps always float my boat!

View attachment 76725
LOL! Glad to hear your boat is floating!

Made my 9th batch of soap today. I kept it simple: same as my first recipe (whose vibes I like), but I replaced a bit of the sweet almond oil with castor oil to see if I can get more lather. It's the first time I've felt fairly competent during the process.

30% olive
30% palm
15% coconut
10% sweet almond
5% castor
5% shea butter
5% cocoa butter
Isn't that a great feeling? Congratulations.

Today I was brainstorming how to include my 5 year old who is very excited about soap, in the soap making process. He has so far been excluded from cold process soap making because of safety. Well, he asked if he could cut the soap that I'd made, and since it was for our own personal use I said yes as long as you wear your safety gear. Despite the one wedge shape and a couple of XXL bars, he actually did a pretty great job, and it was really sweet to see him so excited about a hobby I love.

Attachments

• PXL_20240313_034930983.jpg
    PXL_20240313_034930983.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20240313_034944264.jpg
    PXL_20240313_034944264.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
If anyone is interested, I posted a labelled version of my latest round of FO tests in a media album, here. I included the test recipe in the caption. Consider the info on acceleration to be a first cut, not definitive. Only OT's White Patchouli threatened to become soap on a stick using this testing approach.

So I didn't make soap, but I I supervised Zing, Jr. aka Sting make soap. He gave bars from his first batch of soap made with his company's beeswax and honey to his coworkers recently so was highly motivated to make a second batch. I told Sting this time, you're on your own and I will just be around. This morning he came into the soap shop, looked at the soapcalc.net printout, and then left the house without a word.

This evening Sting said, Dad can you black out everything I don't need to see, this is too much. I also find soapcalc overwhelming so I knew what he was saying. I am glad I was around because he said he was going to weigh the water in a container, tare the scale, and then add the lye until the required grams! :nonono:

So after my lecture on lye safety, he did alright. He's even more OCD about measuring and scraping than I. And, he's a bada-- for NOT using separate measuring cups and just weighed all ingredients all into one pot on the scale! Even the liquid oils! Who does that?!

Anyway, it was a fun evening with my son. He's curious and asked a lot of questions about ingredients, qualities of oils and butters, process, etc.

Today I was brainstorming how to include my 5 year old who is very excited about soap, in the soap making process. He has so far been excluded from cold process soap making because of safety. Well, he asked if he could cut the soap that I'd made, and since it was for our own personal use I said yes as long as you wear your safety gear. Despite the one wedge shape and a couple of XXL bars, he actually did a pretty great job, and it was really sweet to see him so excited about a hobby I love.
That's how I cut soap. :) I think he did great!

If anyone is interested, I posted a labelled version of my latest round of FO tests in a media album, here. I included the test recipe in the caption. Consider the info on acceleration to be a first cut, not definitive. Only OT's White Patchouli threatened to become soap on a stick using this testing approach.
@Mobjack Bay, I can't believe that White Patchouli outcompeted Confederate Jasmine, Honeysuckle and Jasmine and Mediterranean Sea Salt on the SOS meter! Are there any FO's that you can think of off the top of your head that are both slow to trace and good stickers?

An "off the top of my head list" of some of my favorites that in that respect that are still affordable (part of the reason I remember them OTTOMH is that I use them over and over): WPS Pink Grapefruit, WPS(AHRE) Bamboo Sugarcane, WPS Nag Champa (fails affordability test though), OTS Mysore Sandalwood, OTS Bonsai (although both OTS scents are just under $40/lb), Fragrance Buddy Avobath, NG Cucumber Wasabi CIlantro, NG Perfect Man, NG Green Irish Tweed, NG Teakwood and Cardamom, California Candle Black Smoke.

And, he's a bada-- for NOT using separate measuring cups and just weighed all ingredients all into one pot on the scale! Even the liquid oils! Who does that?!
Cool, apparently I'm a bada$$ now... 😁

PS - I make no claims whatsoever that such measurements directly into my single pot are, how shall I say... exact?

This evening Sting said, Dad can you black out everything I don't need to see, this is too much. I also find soapcalc overwhelming so I knew what he was saying. I am glad I was around because he said he was going to weigh the water in a container, tare the scale, and then add the lye until the required grams! :nonono:
I wish someone did this for me when starting out. It took me weeks and a bottle of wine to understand soap calc.

I have replaced everything that was destroyed in the 2024 Soap Gate. Gonna soap today. I keep smelling all my fragrance oils and can’t figure out which one to use.

@Mobjack Bay, I can't believe that White Patchouli outcompeted Confederate Jasmine, Honeysuckle and Jasmine and Mediterranean Sea Salt on the SOS meter! Are there any FO's that you can think of off the top of your head that are both slow to trace and good stickers?

An "off the top of my head list" of some of my favorites that in that respect that are still affordable (part of the reason I remember them OTTOMH is that I use them over and over): WPS Pink Grapefruit, WPS(AHRE) Bamboo Sugarcane, WPS Nag Champa (fails affordability test though), OTS Mysore Sandalwood, OTS Bonsai (although both OTS scents are just under $40/lb), Fragrance Buddy Avobath, NG Cucumber Wasabi CIlantro, NG Perfect Man, NG Green Irish Tweed, NG Teakwood and Cardamom, California Candle Black Smoke.

It's always a first cut on behavior in test soaps because what happens in 80 g of batter is only a hint of what could happen in 1500 g or more.

You hit on a couple of my reliably slow stickers. I can add these:
Majestic Mountain Sage Osmanthus
BeScented's Black Raspberry Vanilla (not a big favorite of mine, but lots of people seem to like it)
OTS Green Irish Tweed

Do you use Confederate Jasmine, Honeysuckle and Jasmine and Mediterranean Sea Salt? Do they misbehave? Do they stick?
I received an 8 oz bottle MSS by mistake and OTS told me to keep it. It smells nice, but the max usage rates are very low.

Just updated the album with another round. Very interesting results! Has anyone else tried Cafe Americano from Scent Memory? The soap got so hot that I was afraid it would volcano in the cavity mold. SM's Profumo di Giardino accelerated at lightening speed and three other SM FOs weeped out of the soaps. I don't think they're formulating for FO behavior in soap.

Last edited:
First time joining this thread - forgive me for not reading it all from the beginning!

I have just made a batch of soap today, aiming to use up some of my oils/butters that I don’t plan on re-ordering, so my recipe was made up just for today. Used a familiar FO which I’ve used before with no issues (white tea). For some reason the acceleration was so heavy! Ended up with pretty much soap on a stick with the mica-coloured portions, which I’ve had to try to jam into the mould somehow 😂

So, instead of a beautiful drop swirl with black and pink I’ve got this:

IMG_0018.jpeg

I think it looks a little bit like cookies and cream ice cream. But not quite what I was aiming for! It’s currently CPOPing in the oven, so we’ll see what happens!

Do you use Confederate Jasmine, Honeysuckle and Jasmine and Mediterranean Sea Salt? Do they misbehave? Do they stick?
I received an 8 oz bottle MSS by mistake and OTS told me to keep it. It smells nice, but the max usage rates are very low.
I haven't used them, my comment was based on the almost universal tendency of floral and seawater FOs to speed trace. I've found ones that stick (eg, both Sweetcakes and Midwest Fragrance Company have wonderful rose fragrances that stick very well, but both accelerate trace to varying degrees, the Sweetcakes one is impossible to use with more than one color/any kind of swirl.) So was just surprised that those were better than a patchouli based FO, those usually don't create issues for me.

I've unmoulded and cut the soap disaster from the weekend. It's not awful awful, just mildly awful 😂 Obviously the swirls are non-existant and there are a few holes from not being able to jam solid soap into the mould, but still a usable soap.

Total waste of FO oil though as it's a relatively high percentage of cocoa butter, so the cocoa butter scent is overwhelming the white tea loveliness. Probably should have thought of that 🤦🏻‍♀️

1000019176.jpg

Edited to add - got to use my Hercules cutter for the first time and I'm in love!

Today I am making soap with duck fat. It is a special gift for friends who have an outrageous rubber ducky collection in their bathroom. There must be 200 of them in there! I found the duck fat at Whole Foods. As far as fats go, the price is high on a per ounce basis for soap, but perfectly acceptable for a special gift. The profile for pure duck fat is interesting. View attachment 73456
I created a recipe, adding only coconut oil and castor oil, which will create a fatty acid profile that looks pretty good.
View attachment 73457
I’m planning to scent it with Coconut Lemongrass from BeScented. Not sure if the coconut will hold in CP soap. Do I need to add something else in there so the fragrance sticks for a year?
Hello,
I'm looking at trying to use duck fat this weekend in soap. I see in your ingredients above (and also in mine from SoapCalc), it states duck fat, flesh and skin. Surely we aren't putting in the flesh and skin??? Is there anything I need to be aware of when using duck fat?
Thanks heaps... :)
Anne.

Latest posts

Back