What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have that same color in the 9-bar version and LOVE.IT. I'm only a hobby soaper, but it sure made the process so much nicer!
I've been wanting to buy the purple one forever but whenever I had the money it wasn't in stock and when I didn't have the money it was in stock. I was putting an order together last week and it hadn't been in stock but right before I checked out I went and looked and it was in stock so I bought it! Can't wait to cut soap with it.

I've been wanting to buy the purple one forever but whenever I had the money it wasn't in stock and when I didn't have the money it was in stock. I was putting an order together last week and it hadn't been in stock but right before I checked out I went and looked and it was in stock so I bought it! Can't wait to cut soap with it.
The way I got mine was to add my email address to the box that says "Notify me when this is in stock." If anyone else tries this, let me just warm you, when you do get the email, you have to immediately put it in your cart and push "Purchase." No messing around looking at FOs or micas - just buy it, or you will miss the window of time when everyone else who wants it is also trying to purchase it.

My purchase was a little more complicated because I was also using some of my points, which is an extra step that takes a minute more. I didn't realize I was holding my breath till the purchase went through. Big exhale of relief!

It is truly a delight to cut soap with this cutter. The movement is so smooth. And the twang at the end 🤩

Here's the cut. I think I cut it too soon (I just couldn't wait!!) and I got drag marks. The middle layer isn't very pronounced but I think the tops look neat and I'm happy with it as it's my 1st CP loaf.
Thanks for showing the cut, really love that color! Tops look quite wonderful!

Mad Micas and the color is Voodoo which is a reddish pink.

Here is the cut. This mold is far shorter than I thought it would be. not sure how I feel about that but I just cut the bars thicker. Also, ignore the nowhere near straight layer lol

View attachment 53978
Mad Micas and the color is Voodoo which is a reddish pink.

Here is the cut. This mold is far shorter than I thought it would be. not sure how I feel about that but I just cut the bars thicker. Also, ignore the nowhere near straight layer lol

View attachment 53978
I need to buy a bunch of Micas and am wondering do you folks buy your micas from one source or from different places? I really don't know where to start. Am I correct in assuming all micas are not equal?

I need to buy a bunch of Micas and am wondering do you folks buy your micas from one source or from different places? I really don't know where to start. Am I correct in assuming all micas are not equal?
As long as the seller is correct in their suitability for CP, it's ok. I tend to favor Mad Micas and Nurture Soap, because the information those sellers provide is more complete and easier to locate than their competitors. Also, both those companies offer rewards for customers who review, and give the option for proud creators to post pictures of their products. This often makes it easier to see how a Mica will look in a variety of products and lighting environments for a more informed purchase.
If you're getting a bunch of supplies from Brambleberry or another reputable source, there's nothing wrong with throwing some CP-safe micas into the cart as well. Anything from Amazon or your average big-box craft store is a gamble, though.

I get most of my micas from Nurture Soap and I also have a couple from WSP (Wholesale Supplies Plus). Like GemstonePony said, you can get credits at Nurture Soap for reviewing products (and on your first purchase) and that helps lower the price of subsequent orders. I usually order the 1oz bags from NS as they take up less room to store than the jars.

I get most of my micas from Nurture Soap and I also have a couple from WSP (Wholesale Supplies Plus). Like GemstonePony said, you can get credits at Nurture Soap for reviewing products (and on your first purchase) and that helps lower the price of subsequent orders. I usually order the 1oz bags from NS as they take up less room to store than the jars.
The couple of jars I have of micas don't have weights on them, any idea how many teaspoons/tablespoons are in an ounce. I was thinking I would need 4 oz. of everything and was feeling I would be in the poorhouse in a matter of days if I kept buying as I have been LOL!

The couple of jars I have of micas don't have weights on them, any idea how many teaspoons/tablespoons are in an ounce. I was thinking I would need 4 oz. of everything and was feeling I would be in the poorhouse in a matter of days if I kept buying as I have been LOL!
There are six teaspoons to one ounce and I can get multiple batches out of one ounce of mica. I don't heavily color my soaps (usually one to 1.5 tsp for a loaf size batch of 52oz).

As long as the seller is correct in their suitability for CP, it's ok. I tend to favor Mad Micas and Nurture Soap, because the information those sellers provide is more complete and easier to locate than their competitors. Also, both those companies offer rewards for customers who review, and give the option for proud creators to post pictures of their products. This often makes it easier to see how a Mica will look in a variety of products and lighting environments for a more informed purchase.
If you're getting a bunch of supplies from Brambleberry or another reputable source, there's nothing wrong with throwing some CP-safe micas into the cart as well. Anything from Amazon or your average big-box craft store is a gamble, though.
I won't buy any ingredients that go into my soaps from Amazon, big box, and rarely from Etsy unless I can't find it anywhere else. I found a reasonably priced Woad from a guy in Italy but also had several conversations with him before I bought it.

There are six teaspoons to one ounce and I can get multiple batches out of one ounce of mica. I don't heavily color my soaps (usually one to 1.5 tsp for a loaf size batch of 52oz).
Thanks, Angie, that helps a lot. I never used to color my soaps like they do now and usually used more clays, than micas. It's a totally different experience but I am looking forward to doing it once again. Now just to be able to get the milk from the girls instead of the dairy dept! At least I am getting my tallow for free and it's organic!

I mostly buy from Bramble Berry. I like their samplers so I can try before committing to a larger jar.

I purchase most of my micas from Nurture Soap because of the free shipping options over $30 but I have to say that Mad Micas has some **** sparkling micas and I love them. TKB also has some really nice micas but cost point is the free shipping with Nurture.

I get mine from Micas & More, with a few neons from Mad Micas. Micas & More also has FO's but I don't recommend them for soap - they tend to develop DOS for me.

I just order all of Nurture Soap's Mica sample collections! I've not been using a lot of Micas so I thought the samples would be a good start. I can't wait to get them on Monday to try them out!
ETA: I forgot I also got 3 micas and some glitter from Mad Mica in Royalty Soap's Soap Frosting Club Box. They are some pretty awesome colors and their glitter fairy duster is so fun to use!

I need to buy a bunch of Micas and am wondering do you folks buy your micas from one source or from different places?
I use a variety of companies. In addition to those mentioned, a lesser known seller is Elements Bath and Body. Mica Powders & Colorants from ElementsBathAndBody.com

Because they are lesser known, there aren’t that many reviews, and there isn’t a capability to upload photos. I’m not bothered by that because I’ve liked every single mica I’ve used and highly recommend them. Keep in mind that I tend to be open and accepting to changes that might occur in micas anyway. I take it as a part of the creative discovery.

Thanks, Phoenix. I always do test batches with new products as when I make soaps to sell I want to know what to expect. It takes longer but then I always have soap here at the house and giveaways to friends who don't care what the soap looks like if it turns out to be a dud!

I just order all of Nurture Soap's Mica sample collections! I've not been using a lot of Micas so I thought the samples would be a good start. I can't wait to get them on Monday to try them out!
ETA: I forgot I also got 3 micas and some glitter from Mad Mica in Royalty Soap's Soap Frosting Club Box. They are some pretty awesome colors and their glitter fairy duster is so fun to use!
Isn't their glitter fairy duster that little tube-like thing that looks like it has the end of a horn on the top of it. I was eyeing that last night LOL! Their micas look fantastic, but I can't make up my mind if I want to buy a bunch of 1 oz bottles or a few of 4 oz bottles. My practical side says get the smaller bottles, the I want everything side says get all the big ones and get it over with! I am going to be talking to y'all from debtors prison if I don't quit spending, I have to start making $ one of these days!

I get mine from Micas & More, with a few neons from Mad Micas. Micas & More also has FO's but I don't recommend them for soap - they tend to develop DOS for me.
Oh Boy, another place to browse! I hate shopping in a store but can literally spend an entire evening cruising the internet! It's a bad habit!

Oh Boy, another place to browse! I hate shopping in a store but can literally spend an entire evening cruising the internet! It's a bad habit!
I'm the same way. And it is so easy on Amazon to instant purchase something LOL. At least with other online stores, you put in the whole order at once and know what it cost you. Amazon it's like...$15, ok $10, ok $20. Next thing you know...you just bought $100 worth of stuff from all the little buys.

When I made my first attempt at the challenge, I told myself that it was my only attempt. Then I made a second attempt, which was my final attempt. Now doing a third attempt LOL. i really like this swirl. This time I am going to use a different tool to swirl with.

Last edited:
I just cut my second batch. 😁
IMG_20210218_100619__01__01.jpg

This one also set up a bit quicker than I was expecting, but I think I know why at least! Planning to try the same recipe again much cooler, that way I'll know if it was the FO, recipe or temperature, or (more likely) a combination. I have other oils on the way so can adjust the recipe if necessary when they arrive. I barely used the stick blender this time, but in a tiny batch (400g of batter) it may still have been too long...

Never mind, it's definitely soap and will be appreciated by my friend's kids once I'm sure it's cured and passes a zap test, since it's a FO which I'm not super keen on but would appeal to children - artificial smelling strawberry.

Latest posts

Back