What protective gear do you wear?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Kenaslan said:
Just please don't tell me you are mixing NaOH inside unless you have an ASHRAE fume hood

I do it in my kitchen sink which has an open window right above it?

I mix in the sink and move it to under my stove vent turned on full blast. Not even a paper face mask.

OSHA would spaz. :D Good thing I don't have employees LOL

Kenaslan said:
Nope not a chemist. I am an electrical engineer. And I have worked as a safety engineer.

lovely.

and FYI, actionable advice is useful. but stuff that people cannot do - not so much.

watch face shields. they sound great but if you have your head over the lye solution the fumes are trapped under it.

Yes, this , and it is not fun! I found out the hard way. But I had used goggles before I got the face shield and they did not fit well over my glasses. I don't want to use just my eyeglasses for protection. So I now have a fan to my side that blows the fumes past me--i stand a bit "upwind" and it works really well, fumes stay away from me and my face shield. I really like the face shield once I arranged the fan. I think it is easier to see out of than googles.

Once I thought I was done washing up and took off the mask, turned around and saw an item I missed. I forgot to put the mask back on to wash the missed item and splashed raw soap on my face. Convinced me that face shields are very valuable as googles would not have helped even had I been wearing them.[/quote]

I would like to add that CONTACTS should be FORBIDDEN when making lye solution.

When I made my first few batches I looked like a dish-washing space invader. Protective glasses, face mask, baggy clothes, huge yellow gloves. Now I just wear the glasses and whatever I'm lounging around in for the day.

I've found it does keep me more cautious too. Plus I'm right by the sink and I have vinegar so I can rinse/dab as needed if there's any splashing. I hold my breath while I'm mixing in the lye and then when I need a breath I duck down and get one from below counter level, lol. Then I retreat to the far end of my apartment til it cools. Ugh, lye fumes.

Oups, my first batch, I mixed the lye and the water outside. Now I do it in the kitchen... The wind can be so tricky that you get the fumes in your face... I found it easier to keep distance in the kitchen...

"Full length sleeves and pants, closed toe shoes. Safety goggles and gloves always."

DITTO

Oh, and I wear an apron too just to keep some of the mess off my clothes

I am shocked at the cavalier (and incredibly stupid) attitude that some of you have towards safety. I guess I value my vision and health more than you do. Dottie

While I'm mixing my lye solution:

-Protective eye goggles- an absolute must- the kind that form a snug seal around the eyes. I actually use those anti-tears onion goggles that cooking stores sell. They work great for soaping- and they really do keep my eyes from tearing up when cutting onions (in case anyone were wondering if they really work).

-Rubber gloves (whatever I can find at the grocery store down the cleaning aisle). Right now I'm using Playtex Living Gloves.

-Apron (just a regular cooking apron)

-Mask - the fumes that emminate from mixing lye are very dangerous to inhale, so for me, a mask is a must, and I also do my mixing away from my living space, which for me means that I mix it out in the garage. Also- I masterbatch my lye- I make up a large amount of 50/50 lye solution that will last through several batches of soap so that I don't have to go through the procedure (ordeal :wink: ) of mixing lye solution for each and every batch. My 'mask' actually consists of a very thick, very tightly woven cotton diaper (clean, of course) that has been folded over on itself 3 times so that it's many layers thick. I hold that tightly over my mouth and nose with one hand while mixing my lye solution with my other hand.

While I'm actually soaping:

-Protective eye goggles (same as above)

-Rubber gloves (same as above)

-Apron (same as above)

This may shock some, but I purposely don't wear long sleeves anymore while soaping. It's no fun to splash lye on your sleeve and then have it seep through the sleeves onto your skin. That means having to stop soaping to take off my gloves and apron so I can then take off my soap-splattered shirt to clean the raw, stinging soap off my arm. And then I have to go find a clean shirt and put it on, and put my apron and gloves back on. Meanwhile, my soap is getting thick and hard and might even have gone through gel already right in the pot. It's just works better for me to wear short sleeves where I can take care of any splashes quickly and easily.

IrishLass :)

carebear said:
serfmunke said:
Wow, OK so I am in the middle of all you so far so I guess that is good. Nice to see I am not under protected or over protective :lol:

I soap with my H2O at 33%, 2.3:1, and wear gloved and protective glasses not goggles. Husband wants me to wear a face shield and smock. I am really careful and rarely splash or breathe fumes. I am not too into cumbersome clothing but am considering the face shield since one splash to the eye could be a bad thing, right?

watch face shields. they sound great but if you have your head over the lye solution the fumes are trapped under it.

Yes, absolutely about the fumes. I admit to not breathing over the lye container. I stir until it heats, walk away, flick up the shield and breathe. :wink:

Reading everyone's comments is making me aware that I am actually more careful then I initially stated. I wear more then just protective eye glasses. Those have always been a must because I have gotten splashed on the face but I also do wear closed toed shoes (I'm never without shoes), pants (mainly because I rarely wear shorts) but no long sleeves because it is easier to clean soap off my arms if I don't. I always use the full amount of water in my water/lye solutions and when I am mixing my lye solution, my head is always turned and as soon as it is dissolved I leave the room. Some would probably suggest that I actually mix my lye outside and I have done that before but for me it is safer to mix it in my sink because I have a cat who enjoys tripping me and I have almost dumped a whole thing of dissolved lye onto my floor before. I do not wear gloves because at the moment all I have are the yellow dishwashing type of gloves and I end up nocking more things over with them. I have considered trying the ones that are a little more form fitting but haven't yet. . .

protective eyeglasses and nylene disposable gloves. they're incredibly thin and don't hinder my ability to feel things -- and a pair lasts for many, many soaping sessions with a little washing up.

whatever old clothes i'm lounging around in. cheap paper face mask if i'm working with micas, oxides, activated charcoal.

and i always work with the kitchen vent on.

DottieF. said:
"Full length sleeves and pants, closed toe shoes. Safety goggles and gloves always."

DITTO

Oh, and I wear an apron too just to keep some of the mess off my clothes

I am shocked at the cavalier (and incredibly stupid) attitude that some of you have towards safety. I guess I value my vision and health more than you do. Dottie

Wow, Dottie. I certainly don't consider myself stupid.

I ALWAYS wear goggles. It just takes one splash. I don't wear gloves all the time. I tend to be more dangerous (spreading raw soap around without realizing it) when wearing gloves. If I get soap on my hands no biggie. I Just rinse it off. I've never had a lye burn from raw soap. I guess I wash it off quickly enough.

I don't wear full length pants/shirts. Tshirts and pants.

carebear said:
Kenaslan said:
Nope not a chemist. I am an electrical engineer. And I have worked as a safety engineer.

lovely.

and FYI, actionable advice is useful. but stuff that people cannot do - not so much.

DottieF. said:

As you have stated before, most people here are doing this as a hobby. Then more than ever these people need to pay attention to proper safety protocols.

The safety measures I recommend are one that everyone can do.
Mask with the purple filters (Home Depot) purple are for organic ie. activated charcoal.
Chemical Goggles, $11 at lab safety supply http://www.labsafety.com/sellstrom-...ggles-antifog-clear-lens-blue-frame_s_144062/
Long Nitrile Gloves (will last MANY years) $2 way cheaper than the cheep ones you get at the grocery store
Face Shield $10
Apron Plastic from the grocery store or a heavy duty chemical one for around $15 http://www.labsafety.com/protective-clothing/aprons-24417390/

Safety is no accident. If you live in California how do you know an earthquake is not going to happen? Is loosing your eyesight worth it? Or having your face permanently disfigured from a chemical spash?

Unfortunately most people are not safety minded, and the more one is around things the more risks they take. They get complacent and then they get hurt. How many people here started out with all the safety gear, then after 50 batches stopped using the PPE. As a few people here have mentioned they were wearing their PPE and grateful when that oops did happened.

There are two kinds of soapers, one who has had an accident, and one who has yet to be in an accident.

Soap is slippery, VERY SLIPPERY. you spill a little on the floor as you are doing a swirl. slip on it, fall, knock over your lye solution and splash it on your face. Now you could be blind, so you loose your job, loose your house because you cannot work......
Things happen. And all this can be prevented with $50 of safety equipment (PPE)

DottieF. said:

I guess you do. But really, is it necessary to get snippy and rude? You just called me stupid.

IrishLass said:
and they really do keep my eyes from tearing up when cutting onions (in case anyone were wondering if they really work).

I was wondering :D

agriffin said:
Wow, Dottie. I certainly don't consider myself stupid.
tasha said:
I guess you do. But really, is it necessary to get snippy and rude? You just called me stupid.

And me...

It's not like I'm opening a container of lye and flinging the granules around like confetti. Or leaning over the lye water and sucking in a big breath. That would be stupid. Those of us who use no or minimal protective gear are quite well aware that one wrong step can be painful. We respect the lye and are careful. Not stupid.

This thread is getting a little...iffy. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions and their own way of doing things. Disagreeing is dandy, discourse is fantastic, attacking - not so much.

If you think someone is doing something wrong, take the opportunity to TEACH and SHARE.

Ken, thanks for the information - spelled out like that is a fantastic way to help everyone take action.

I need to take the same, if not better precautions, when canning hot peppers! My right hand is throbbing right now due to the hot pepper juice. I did chop 6 cups with no gloves on and knew I should have. Actually thought about grabbing my soaping gloves but was too lazy. I will next time :wink:

Well, hopefully we all learned more than we thought we would from this thread. Honestly did not anticipate it becoming so intense! It is almost as intense as bikers and helmet wearing :wink:

Take care peoples.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back