What kind of soap would dissolve the easiest?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soap_phobia

Reaction score
I have this problem, it really bothers me - the feeling of leftover soap (or anything else than water) on my body when I shower. It's started to become a problem because I need to shower for a longer time to feel that all the soap is gone, and so I'm asking this forum for help since a lot of googling didn't make me any wiser:

- What kind of soap would dissolve the easiest?
That is, what kind of soap would require less water and less time washing off to make it dissolve and leave my body?
I really don't like the feeling of the remnants of ANYTHING on me after I shower, so if there is some kind of soap (I learned since long that I prefer hard soaps) that doesn't leave much oils or other things on my skin even after it's been washed off, that would be great!

- I would love to get answers to how soap works in general: What about different kinds of soap - do they work with different mechanisms? What are they made of?
I'm thinking that if I learn more about soaps and how they work, I can understand them better - and perhaps the feeling of some soap remnants on my skin won't bother me as much. In general I have this feeling that soap is something synthetic that is bad for me to have left on my skin.

Any help is appreciated! I would love to normalize my relationship with soap again, it's been like this for years now.

Best regards S.P.

That is, what kind of soap would require less water and less time washing off to make it dissolve and leave my body?
I really don't like the feeling of the remnants of ANYTHING on me after I shower, so if there is some kind of soap (I learned since long that I prefer hard soaps) that doesn't leave much oils or other things on my skin even after it's been washed off, that would be great!

- I would love to get answers to how soap works in general: What about different kinds of soap - do they work with different mechanisms? What are they made of?
I'm thinking that if I learn more about soaps and how they work, I can understand them better - and perhaps the feeling of some soap remnants on my skin won't bother me as much. In general I have this feeling that soap is something synthetic that is bad for me to have left on my skin.
Question #1: A soap high in Coconut Oil would be the most water soluble, but it is generally the most drying. An artisan soap that has a high Super Fat (with the exception of Coconut Oil Soap) is going to have more unsaponified oils, which you might be more sensitive too.

Question #2: The purpose of soap is to get you clean. One part of the soap molecule bonds with water (hydrophilic) and the other bonds with oils and fats (hydrophobic). These bonds help to lift dirt, oils, dead skill cells and germs from your skin which are then rinsed away.

There are differences between commercially produced soap and artisan soaps; one of those differences is glycerin. Glycerin is a humectant...a type of moisturizing agent that pulls water into the outer layer of the skin. In commercial soap making, oils and fats are broken down into fatty acids and glycerin and the glycerin is removed with some being added back in. It's why commercials soaps are drying. In artisan soap making, the glycerin fully remains and because you're not used to having all the natural oils fully stripped, it feels like there is a residue, but there isn't.

Another difference is Super Fat. Most artisan soap makers I know have at least a 1% Super Fat to ensure that all the Sodium Hydroxide is used up. A 3% to 5% Super Fat is fairly standard in artisan soap making and along with proper curing, makes for a bar of soap that is kinder to the skin.

"Squeaky Clean" is great for dishes, glassware, silverware, pots and pans and kitchen/bathroom counters, but when it comes to your hair and skin, it means that you have stripped all the natural oils from them. For decades, I was 'squeaky clean' and after I got out of the shower or bath, I would slather on body lotions and moisturizes, and leave-in conditioners because of how dry my skin and hair was.

I always warn folks who are new to artisan soaps that it's going to feel a little 'weird' at first...not having the natural oils stripped from your skin, but over time you get used to it and will notice that your skin is less tight and dry feeling.

And lastly, the type of water that you have can affect your soap. One of my grandparents had a water softener because they had really 'hard' water and it seemed to take forever to rinse soap, shampoo and conditioner out. Once I learned that I didn't have to use as much of those products, then it became normal bathing.

My soaps rinse clean, but I use chelators and 2% superfat. I also use an under 20% CO/PKO combination. No one ever complained of a feeling of soap film from my soaps no matter which county I sold in. Since I sold in an 80-mile radius at times I was selling in a wide range of water quality areas.

How hard is your water?
It is not hard at all. Very soft where I live. is this part of the problem maybe?
just so I understand correctly, hard water = you need more detergent when washing clothes, am I right? like higher calcium(?) content or something in hard water, more alcalic?

The first thing I would look at is your superfat percentage. If it is high, that could be at least part of your problem. Which oils/fats/butters are you using?
I don't make soap at all :) just came here to ask questions cause google only shows me where to buy soap when searching. I don't know what my soap from the store is using... But you're saying that a high fat content might be part of the problem?

My soaps rinse clean, but I use chelators and 2% superfat. I also use an under 20% CO/PKO combination. No one ever complained of a feeling of soap film from my soaps no matter which county I sold in. Since I sold in an 80-mile radius at times I was selling in a wide range of water quality areas.
so soap film is actually a term? is this what I'm describing ?

Question #1: A soap high in Coconut Oil would be the most water soluble, but it is generally the most drying. An artisan soap that has a high Super Fat (with the exception of Coconut Oil Soap) is going to have more unsaponified oils, which you might be more sensitive too.

Question #2: The purpose of soap is to get you clean. One part of the soap molecule bonds with water (hydrophilic) and the other bonds with oils and fats (hydrophobic). These bonds help to lift dirt, oils, dead skill cells and germs from your skin which are then rinsed away.

There are differences between commercially produced soap and artisan soaps; one of those differences is glycerin. Glycerin is a humectant...a type of moisturizing agent that pulls water into the outer layer of the skin. In commercial soap making, oils and fats are broken down into fatty acids and glycerin and the glycerin is removed with some being added back in. It's why commercials soaps are drying. In artisan soap making, the glycerin fully remains and because you're not used to having all the natural oils fully stripped, it feels like there is a residue, but there isn't.

Another difference is Super Fat. Most artisan soap makers I know have at least a 1% Super Fat to ensure that all the Sodium Hydroxide is used up. A 3% to 5% Super Fat is fairly standard in artisan soap making and along with proper curing, makes for a bar of soap that is kinder to the skin.

"Squeaky Clean" is great for dishes, glassware, silverware, pots and pans and kitchen/bathroom counters, but when it comes to your hair and skin, it means that you have stripped all the natural oils from them. For decades, I was 'squeaky clean' and after I got out of the shower or bath, I would slather on body lotions and moisturizes, and leave-in conditioners because of how dry my skin and hair was.

I always warn folks who are new to artisan soaps that it's going to feel a little 'weird' at first...not having the natural oils stripped from your skin, but over time you get used to it and will notice that your skin is less tight and dry feeling.

And lastly, the type of water that you have can affect your soap. One of my grandparents had a water softener because they had really 'hard' water and it seemed to take forever to rinse soap, shampoo and conditioner out. Once I learned that I didn't have to use as much of those products, then it became normal bathing.
interesting you mentioned glycerin. I've been looking into buying glycerin soap. is this a good idea you think?

I feel ya. My soap rinses clean quickly. But when I stay at my sister's, her water is super duper soft and I feel like I can never rinse completely.

In my beginning days I learned a lot from Soapy Stuff .

I hope you can soon change your name to Soap Philia!
someone else mentioned water soft/hardness. so you're saying that soft water is a bad thing in my case ?

I don't make soap at all :) just came here to ask questions cause google only shows me where to buy soap when searching. I don't know what my soap from the store is using... But you're saying that a high fat content might be part of the problem?

Have you ever used a handmade soap before? If so, did it feel any different to you than what you have been using from the store?

Here in the states, the store bought soap has to have a label with ingredients listed on it. If you have a hard time deciphering it, we can help.

Everything that everyone has told you was based on the assumption that you were making soap or at least using handmade soap, so you will have to be patient while everyone adjusts their thinking.

Last edited:
It is not hard at all. Very soft where I live. is this part of the problem maybe?
just so I understand correctly, hard water = you need more detergent when washing clothes, am I right? like higher calcium(?) content or something in hard water, more alcalic?
Yes. I live in Buffalo and hard water is the norm. It leaves scum but rinses off. When I stay at the element or other hotels in Mineapolis (they soften the water) I never feel like the soap is gone from my skin, or worse, my hair. Soft water definitely makes you feel that way.

I have this problem, it really bothers me - the feeling of leftover soap (or anything else than water) on my body when I shower. It's started to become a problem because I need to shower for a longer time to feel that all the soap is gone, and so I'm asking this forum for help since a lot of googling didn't make me any wiser:

Any help is appreciated! I would love to normalize my relationship with soap again, it's been like this for years now.

Best regards S.P.
My question would be what does your skin feel like in and out of the shower? I used to live in a soft water area and I always felt like I couldn't thoroughly rinse off. In the shower my skin felt almost slick and slimy, but once I toweled off it felt fine while still damp, but later would feel tight and dry. Now, I live in a hard water area and when I shower my skin and feels sticky in the shower (my hands don't glide over my skin and my fingers get stuck in my hair), and immediately after, my skin feels tight, dry and itchy if I don't apply my body oil right away. So, knowing your water type will help a great deal in assessing your soap options, as I am currently learning myself, thanks to all the soapers here with all their combined experience 🥰
I do hope you find relief! Patience, trial and error, lather, rinse, repeat!
*Edit: Never mind ~ I see this topic was addressed! I better go pour my cup of caffeine! 😄

Last edited:
Have you ever used a handmade soap before? If so, did it feel any different to you than what you have been using from the store?

Here in the states, the store bought soap has to have a label with ingredients listed on it. If you have a hard time deciphering it, we can help.

Everything that everyone has told you was based on the assumption that you were making soap or at least using handmade soap, so you will have to be patient while everyone adjusts their thinking.
yes ofcourse. im patient and VERY grateful to get this expertise help. I should've looked into this years ago, but didn't really find anything useful online. and then I found you lot :)

Nah, I dont think I ever used a handmade soap....or, actually a friends mum had made some weird soap that had sheep's wool(?) stuck in it, to rehydrate your skin with the wool fat maybe? I remember I didn't like it, it was very fatty, but this is like 5 or more yrs ago.

I bought a brazilian soap recently that I liked, more kinda what im looking for but not perfect I guess. will send a photo with the ingredients when I buy a new soap like that and get hold of the packaging again.

Yes. I live in Buffalo and hard water is the norm. It leaves scum but rinses off. When I stay at the element or other hotels in Mineapolis (they soften the water) I never feel like the soap is gone from my skin, or worse, my hair. Soft water definitely makes you feel that way.
aahaaa! really? wow! so maybe part of the solution would be to move to a place with hard water! im thinking of moving anyway....

My question would be what does your skin feel like in and out of the shower? I used to live in a soft water area and I always felt like I couldn't thoroughly rinse off. In the shower my skin felt almost slick and slimy, but once I toweled off it felt fine while still damp, but later would feel tight and dry. Now, I live in a hard water area and when I shower my skin and feels sticky in the shower (my hands don't glide over my skin and my fingers get stuck in my hair), and immediately after, my skin feels tight, dry and itchy if I don't apply my body oil right away. So, knowing your water type will help a great deal in assessing your soap options, as I am currently learning myself, thanks to all the soapers here with all their combined experience 🥰
I do hope you find relief! Patience, trial and error, lather, rinse, repeat!
*Edit: Never mind ~ I see this topic was addressed! I better go pour my cup of caffeine! 😄
thank you so much for telling me this. it's my kind of experience too. the thing is, I would hate to feel soapy/slimy out of the shower, so I simply rub off all the leftover soap with my hands, which makes it take longer to shower and wastes time and water... I would just hate the feeling of having leftover soap you know... cause the soap is supposed to be gone with rinsing! It just feels wrong to me. Honestly I would just hope that someone told me it's a good thing to have leftover soap on me, so I could just relax about it :)

and yes, caffeine is a bliss!
:D

I feel ya. My soap rinses clean quickly. But when I stay at my sister's, her water is super duper soft and I feel like I can never rinse completely.

In my beginning days I learned a lot from Soapy Stuff .

I hope you can soon change your name to Soap Philia!
Zing: Thank you for the link! I"ve been quietly watching this liquid soap thread...........:search:

thank you so much for telling me this. it's my kind of experience too. the thing is, I would hate to feel soapy/slimy out of the shower, so I simply rub off all the leftover soap with my hands, which makes it take longer to shower and wastes time and water... I would just hate the feeling of having leftover soap you know... cause the soap is supposed to be gone with rinsing! It just feels wrong to me. Honestly I would just hope that someone told me it's a good thing to have leftover soap on me, so I could just relax about it :)

and yes, caffeine is a bliss!
:D
I'm a newbie soap maker, but I think I know a bit about that feeling you describe of needing to rinse until you don't feel 'slimy' any longer. I can tell you that it's unlikely 'soap scum' or 'soap residue' you're feeling but the 'un-soapified' oils (when soap is made, oils are converted to soap, but it's possible to have a small percentage remain un-converted, and that leftover bit is called 'superfat,' and is likely what you're feeling).

Many soap users are looking for a bit of smoothness to prevent drying, but your preference is 'squeaky clean,' so I'd suggest finding soaps with lower 'leftover oil,' as others have said here... You may want to see if someone can make a batch for you with low superfat (zero to 2%) that you can try out.

Alternatively, buy an immersion blender and try a small batch yourself! You might find the exact sweet spot for you! Perhaps a coconut & palm oil combo that others would find too dry would be perfect for you (this is why the 'perfect' bar of soap doesn't exist... people are looking for different qualities!).

Since starting to make my own soap, and buying handmade soap from others for the first time, I've had to force myself to stop scrubbing until the slippery feeling is entirely gone... and I think my skin is starting to be less dry! (something I really needed)

Latest posts

Back