What is that on my soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

santimar

Reaction score
Hi, I make this soap, it has olive oil, palm oil, castor oil, Coconut oil, Shea Butter , Sweet Almond oil, water with sugar (for bubbles), Lye and fragrance oil, 8% SF, and when today I cut it it has this tiny spot all over! I use a PVC round mold.
What could it be?
THANKS!!!!!

*Photos Attached*

CAM00706.jpg

CAM00708.jpg

I can't quite see if it's on the surface only (tiny droplets of water-like substance) or is it just all over the soap.
If it's not a liquid on the surface, but rather white spots here and there I would say these may be stearic spots from the palm oil. If it does not zap, it is perfectly OK to use, just may look a bit different than you expected.

Do you melt your palm oil & stir (whole container) before using?

I have also gotten these before from adding powder sugar for bubbles. I don't think it all melted down and left spots all in my soap. For me had to be sugar cause I didn't use palm.

Sometimes, air can get trapped under the bell of your stick blender when you insert it into the soap, and when you blend, air gets whipped into the soap batter, resulting in tiny bubbles. Try putting your stick blender into the soap batter at an angle, to let out as much air as possible.

IDK,but that's an AWSOME swirl!Kind of looks like air bubbles.Could some of your lye or colorant not have mixed well?

They look like air bubbles to me. You can see sort of tiny empty holes where few of them were cut when you sliced soap.
I get them all the time I'm not careful with my stick blender. My palm oil is homogenised and it shouldn't leave spots so my bet is always on air bubbles.

Back