Master's Brush Soap & Preservative ... looking for copycat recipe??

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaintyLiz

Reaction score
I have a container of Master's Brush Soap & Preservative that does a great job on all brushes, oil, acrylic, etc. I'm wondering if anyone has any idea of a recipe to create my own copycat version? I'm very new to soaping so don't have a lot of knowledge of ingredients.

I would prefer if it had only coconut oil, shea butter, castor oil and/or olive oil as these are what I have on hand. I would think a good coconut oil with maybe a little shea butter would be good.

I have no idea what the ingredients in Masters Soap are, and they are not listed on the container or their website.

I have also cleaned oil brushes with Murphy's oil soap which works well.

Any ideas or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Liz

Last edited:
Try a coconut only dual lye hot process soap then sub in etehelene glycol for 25% of the water amount after cook - keep super fat at 0 - it will be a cleansing bar which should remove acrylic residue - synthetic brushes will be fine, but you would need to wash natural brushes after they are clean with a superfatted body soap to replace some of the oils stripped from the bristles.

Any ideas or suggestions are greatly appreciated!
For a copycat recipe, we would need to see the list of ingredients. We can't really help much without that.
I have also cleaned oil brushes with Murphy's oil soap which works well.
I just posted my copycat recipe for Murphy's Oil Soap so you can have a look.

ETA: Back in the day when I did such things as painting with oils and acrylics, I always cleaned my brushes by holding a bar of soap in one hand and rubbing the brush on the soap with the other hand. Then rinse, rinse, rinse until the water runs clear. Works for house painting brushes too. 😉

Last edited:
Try a coconut only dual lye hot process soap then sub in etehelene glycol for 25% of the water amount after cook - keep super fat at 0 - it will be a cleansing bar which should remove acrylic residue - synthetic brushes will be fine, but you would need to wash natural brushes after they are clean with a superfatted body soap to replace some of the oils stripped from the bristles.
Paint much? Let's see some art!

Thank you! I've been away, sorry for the delay in answering. Sounds good.

For a copycat recipe, we would need to see the list of ingredients. We can't really help much without that.

I just posted my copycat recipe for Murphy's Oil Soap so you can have a look.

ETA: Back in the day when I did such things as painting with oils and acrylics, I always cleaned my brushes by holding a bar of soap in one hand and rubbing the brush on the soap with the other hand. Then rinse, rinse, rinse until the water runs clear. Works for house painting brushes too. 😉
Thank you for that! I usually use Murphy's, it's fantastic & eliminates the need for turps to clean. I keep forgetting to pick up some. (I might make it but I have the feeling it calls for KOH which I don't have)

Thanks!

Paint much? Let's see some art!
I have been extremely lax since we sold our house and moved into a 19' travel trailer fulltime LOL no place to hang anything. Mostly I do commissioned pieces but wasn't really putting myself out. I haven't actually painted in about 8 years until last month when a patron contacted me to do another painting for them. I don't even have the old computer with the photos on them, but I found 4. These are from a few years back.

I donate small free oil paintings to Service & K9 dogs - that is the smiling wet dog (4"x6") (one of my fav paintings). The bird (4"x6") was one for myself, although I think I gave it away. Who knows, it might be in storage somewhere. The other two were commissioned pieces about 20"x24". I no longer have the website Portrait of a Hero, but if anyone is interested in a free painting of their service dog, just contact me.

My 'professional' site is Liz van der Werff, you can reach it through my general site Wacky Pup.

Thanks for the interest.
Liz
bird_on_shel_liz_van_der_werff_700.jpg
morgan_english_springer_spaniel_liz_van_der_werff_600_n.png

georgia_pub_liz_van_der_werff_adj_800_n.png
mrslola_liz_van_der_werff_700.jpg

I have been extremely lax since we sold our house and moved into a 19' travel trailer fulltime LOL no place to hang anything. Mostly I do commissioned pieces but wasn't really putting myself out. I haven't actually painted in about 8 years until last month when a patron contacted me to do another painting for them. I don't even have the old computer with the photos on them, but I found 4. These are from a few years back.

I donate small free oil paintings to Service & K9 dogs - that is the smiling wet dog (4"x6") (one of my fav paintings). The bird (4"x6") was one for myself, although I think I gave it away. Who knows, it might be in storage somewhere. The other two were commissioned pieces about 20"x24". I no longer have the website Portrait of a Hero, but if anyone is interested in a free painting of their service dog, just contact me.

My 'professional' site is Liz van der Werff, you can reach it through my general site Wacky Pup.

Thanks for the interest.
Liz
Nice! Thanx for sharing. My son is an artist also. I used one of his brushes years ago and wow, what a mistake! It was a very expensive brush. Luckily, I didn't ruin it. Lesson learned.

Latest posts

Back