What in the name of G is this? DOS?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loopyloop

Reaction score
Hi. I never had this before.... Made this slab yesterday, left it over night in mould covered with cling film and that's what it looks like this morning. Is this Dos?
Simple recipe, castor, lard, olive, coconut, Cisco, lemon peel for exfoliant, white clay, paprika and alkanet for colour.

ImageUploadedBySoap Making1408782042.481808.jpg
ImageUploadedBySoap Making1408782079.155805.jpg

Thank you so.

No, they are not oily. I tend to think it is the lemon peel. The paprika was only on top and have used before in soap with not such effect. Why would the peel turn orange ( which is throughout, not just on the surface)?

My guess is lemon overheating like when milk does. I'm a little confused. Was it not supposed to be spotted, or are you concerned about the darkness of some swirls? I think orange is either lemon overheating (did you gel and insulate?) Or not dispersing the colorants well enough.

Either way I think it is not dos this soon per my readings, and I think it looks way awesome!!!

Edit, the dark is the alkanet I found out, right?

Last edited:
Hi! yes, the dark is alkanet, the 2 colours were mixed in separate batches of batter, properly. The lemon peel was white grains. It has turned orange... I picked some off and it is indeed the hard grains of lemon peel. Curious thing.

Susie is qute correct on this one. Any peels and powders that are added in for exfoliant will cause specks in soap. Overheating has nothing to do with this. If you use paprika for color and do not want specks you can infuse some oil and strain through an extra fine mesh screen strainer. Same goes for tumeric, alkanet, madder etc. If using for exfoliant you are stuck with specks

me thinks it look amazing, esp. the bottom part!

It is the lemon peel. Here is the evidence as I only put the peel in half the batter, the one without the color ants. No, no gelling, open air, can't be bothered with that stuff. Infusion, maybe, time consuming, again not one of my pleasures.
Yes, think looks quite good, luckily.ImageUploadedBySoap Making1408820764.609629.jpgImageUploadedBySoap Making1408820824.965398.jpg sorry for grainy shots.
Also, not all exfoliant a turn into some colour. Last weekend I used oatmeal and alkanet which stayed its normal colour. One lesson learnt.

Last edited:
I have no advice to add beyond what has already been mentioned, but I just wanted to say that I think your soap looks awesome!

IrishLass :)

Right ! Too soon for dos . But I think you may have had a serendipitous moment & stumbled upon something amazing ! Its gorgeous !

Latest posts

Back