What have you learned?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WyvernWench

Reaction score
For me, experience is the best teacher. While I am reading hard - both on the web and books from my local library - I do not necessarily understand what 'happens' until I walk through the experience myself.

So, what have you learned, what have you experienced, and what can you share that might help the next person who is just starting the soap-making craft ???? Even the smallest little observation might help another newbie with their next batch of soap.

What I have learned:

1. Don't add the scent until the very last second before you pour. Once the scent is added I am minutes (if that long) away from a "flop and plop" batter.

2. Its worth every penny or dollar of shipping and handling costs to be working with tested, quality materials. Just because your local Michaels, Joann, or AC Moore is just around the corner and a set of three soap colors only cost $5.99 with no shipping, if those colors turn out to be crap then you just wasted the $6 plus the cost of all of your other supplies, oils, and scents.

3. Retched batches of soap ... like the one where you used the $6 set of three colors, make wonderful chips for confetti soap and right now I seem to be making a lot of confetti soap.

4. And .... for some reason my men think that 'glitter' is a four-letter word. They are fine with terms like 'neon pink', 'hot fushia', and even 'spring floral bouquet' but if I mention glitter they get this look of absolute horror in their eyes ?!!?

Newbies, what have you learned so far ??? For our experienced soap-crafters what one or three things do you think we newbies need to know ???

Last edited:
Oh gosh, you totally didn't bother or inconvenience anyone. I just thought you'd find it helpful :)

People posting what they learned is never a bad thing. Especially when it can save someone else the same experience.

However, don't be offended if this thread gets moved there, please.

For our experienced soap-crafters what one or three things do you think we newbies need to know ???
1) Patience.
2) Don't Panic when the unexpected happens.
3) Use SMF to troubleshoot problems you have while learning the basics elsewhere, like Soaping 101 and Soap Queen TV on YouTube;
Kathy Miller's site and David Fisher's site "The Spruce" and blogs like Lovin' Soap, and Lovely Greens
http://lovelygreens.com/2013/09/natural-soapmaking-for-beginners.html
http://www.lovinsoap.com/cold-process-soap-making-guide/
^^^^^ Ditto. I love that thread! It should be a sticky.

Last edited:
Detailed notes are paramount to developing understanding of what impacts the quality of your soap.

Make only one change with each subsequent attempt to improve on a recipe.

Be extremely cognizant of safety precautions in all aspects of soap making.

Test your own soap throughout its lifetime (and take detailed notes along the process) before ever giving it away to friends or family (or anyone else, for that matter.) Each recipe should be tested in the same way so you know exactly how the soap performs, how it lasts, if it remains DOS-free with extended storage times, etc.

Okay, that was 4 things, but they are all so important, IMO.

I also don't like glitter :oops: When I see youtubers add glitter I wan't to reach through the screen and save the gorgeous soap from being marred by tacky glitter. One exception was a photo someone posted where the glittery top had soda ash - it looked like sparkling snowdrifts. Gorgeous.

I also don't like glitter :oops: When I see youtubers add glitter I wan't to reach through the screen and save the gorgeous soap from being marred by tacky glitter. One exception was a photo someone posted where the glittery top had soda ash - it looked like sparkling snowdrifts. Gorgeous.

B-but, I'm a redneck magpie, I LIKE sparkles! Though I'll be honest, most of my glitter is very fine stuff that shimmers more than sparkles, but I like using mica to make shimmery patterns on soap tops too.

I've learned to make sure that I'm home through the afternoon to keep an eye on the soap while it gels. That is, don't wrap it up and leave to go Christmas shopping. That's how I ended up with my first batch I had to cook back together in the crock pot.

That accelerating fragrances, even if they're a surprise, aren't the end of the world (even if you might mutter 'oh geez, oh geez, oh geez while you finish mixing colors and get that stuff into the mold). That a stick blender that costs more than $20 might be worth it because it doesn't overheat as fast as the $20 outfit from the Mart of Wals.

"I give you permission to add your scent to your oils" - Dr. Kevin Dunn 2014 Essential Depot Soaping Retreat

Though I don't do it all of the time, I especially add my accelerating FOs and it helps. I have also not noticed any fading. (I still have some lavender soap made with 42/40 in 2014, and although definitely milder it is still there and stronger when I use the soap).

For someone just starting and trying to remember if you've added everything, I think this is a helpful tip (from an expert) when you plan to scent all of your soap.

My apologizes, I didn't know this had already been posted. Didn't mean to bother or inconvenience the forum.

No worries- it is not an inconvenience or a bother. :) We actually have several such threads on the forum that have been posted over the years besides the one ibct1969 posted, but it's always good to hear useful info like this again and again.

My 3 things that I think are good for newbies to know (or do):

1) Take notes. Wait....let me re-phrase that: Take detailed notes. No matter how insignificant/unimportant you think a certain detail might be, and/or no matter how convincingly you are able to talk yourself into believing that just taking a mental note will be sufficient enough and that you'll surely remember that, humor that still, small voice inside and write it down anyway. It may save you from kicking yourself or slapping yourself upside the head in the future, because the more batches of soap you make, the more that certain details concerning certain batches have a way of getting confused with the certain details of other certain batches, and if you don't have a written record to refer back to, the chance of making the same mistake again is pretty high.

2) Don't get lax with safety precautions. The more you soap and feel comfortable and familiar with the whole process, the more there is the tendency to feel that maybe you can get away with not wearing goggles just this one time, etc.... Don't give into that evil voice. Put your goggles on.

3) Don't soap amidst distractions, i.e., soap only when there's nothing and no-one competing for your attention, and when there are no visitors expected at your door, etc... If I am soaping and the phone rings, I let it go to voicemail and deal with it later. The same with the doorbell. Thankfully, all of my family and friends are courteous enough to refrain from dropping by unless they call first and confirm that it's oaky to drop by, so if I'm soaping and the doorbell rings, I just ignore it because I know that it's nobody I know.

Cindy2428 said:
"I give you permission to add your scent to your oils" - Dr. Kevin Dunn 2014 Essential Depot Soaping Retreat

Me, too. If I know my FO is a well-behaved one, I just add it to my oils up front. I've been doing it for years and to date, I've not had any problems with fading, etc...Misbehaving ones can be tricky to add up front, though. I know that some folks have been able to 'tame' certain naught FOs this way, but it has backfired me more times than naught, so I only add well-behaved ones up front anymore.

IrishLass :)

^^^ notes are so important.

I add my FOs and EOs with the oils. That way you know how they are going to react and can mix accordingly.
If you leave them to the last minute you might get swirls in your soap, especially if the accelerate fast.

Buy from a tested-on-soap supplier of FOs and read reviews before you buy them. Write on the bottle how they are expected to react. I don't buy FOs that accelerate out of this world.

Latest posts

Back