Batch 5 : Lessons Learned, and Batch 6 Hopeful

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok, let me start by saying that I promise not to post pics of every single batch of soap I make!šŸ¤£. Batch 5 was a real learning experience in how scent can change the color of things! I had a feeling, based upon the comments on the bottle (Dragon's Blood by BB) it might turn brown, but WOW! For all the soap new-comers I have pics of what the soap looks like just out of the mold (removed at 24 hours) and what it looks like 3 days later. Batch 6 I used Birchwood Oud by BB which claims no color or accelerant affects on CP. Immediately realized that I used too much mica colorant per volume of batter. Also see how different colors mixed affect overall color. Small batches (250gm) because this all just learning and testing, and having a lot of fun in the process! I keep finding myself 'Checking' on my soap to see if it's ready to come out of the molds!šŸ˜„ Happy soaping everyone!!!

Attachments

• Batch5-24 hours .jpeg
    Batch5-24 hours .jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
  • Batch5-72+hours.jpeg
    Batch5-72+hours.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • Batch6.jpeg
    Batch6.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
Michael, you're coming along so fast, those B6 ones look great! If you are sticking with cavity bar swirls for now, the following sites are really great for them. Soap Fantasy mostly does MP, but the swirls will work in CP as well.

You want to do these at a light-medium trace for the most part, the trickiest part is keeping them at medium for long enough to do a bunch at one time. For me that means mostly using a whisk in the beginning and then letting them sit for a bit to arrive at a reasonable swirling start point by themselves; if I use an SB very much they come to trace faster and they keep zipping along through the process and get to thick trace much faster.

Avant Studio

Etsuko Watanabe:

Soaping 101:

Soap Fantasy:

Last edited:
Thanks @not_ally for the advice and the links!!! I am making small batches (250gm) and am pouring into small individual round molds so that I can 'play' with colors. I've been using a glass stirring rod to try to create swirls and have a lot to still learn in terms of technique and color mixes that look good together. Interesting that you mention whisking at the beginning so that you don't reach trace too quickly. Although I've only just done a few batches in my new soaping life I have already been educated by the soap in how quickly or slowly it can come to trace based upon a number of variables! In the faster to come to trace recipes I might try the whisk method as well as it seems like it takes forever to pour and then swirl!... Looks like I better have a look at those videos you posted!!! :)

@KiwiMoose, thank you for your kind words!!! I just don't want to be that guy! You know, the one where everyone is thinking "He's posted another picture of a bar of soap again!!! Geez, after making a thousand bars of soap you'd think he'd just post the good ones!!!"šŸ¤£ I promise to keep posting pics, but not of every single bar or batch unless there is something worthy of sharing!

Wishing everyone out there a happy saponification!!!

Ok, let me start by saying that I promise not to post pics of every single batch of soap I make!šŸ¤£. Batch 5 was a real learning experience in how scent can change the color of things! I had a feeling, based upon the comments on the bottle (Dragon's Blood by BB) it might turn brown, but WOW! For all the soap new-comers I have pics of what the soap looks like just out of the mold (removed at 24 hours) and what it looks like 3 days later. Batch 6 I used Birchwood Oud by BB which claims no color or accelerant affects on CP. Immediately realized that I used too much mica colorant per volume of batter. Also see how different colors mixed affect overall color. Small batches (250gm) because this all just learning and testing, and having a lot of fun in the process! I keep finding myself 'Checking' on my soap to see if it's ready to come out of the molds!šŸ˜„ Happy soaping everyone!!!
@MichaelP I just looked at your batch 5 and 6, after seeing your batch 7 (I don't regularly read this forum), I loved the blues. I have to say, batch 6 is great! You're expanding my vision on how to use these browns, oranges and darker blues!

Latest posts

Back