A Few Questions From a Beginner...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi and thanks in advance. I've been wanting to make soap for ages, but always found it daunting. I'm going for it now and have some questions. I appreciate any and all answers! Thanks.

Will my solid oils like coconut or babassu oil weigh the same hard vs. melted? How do you all measure the solids?

When adding clay, what do you mix it with beforehand? Oil or water? I've seen oil mentioned, but wondering if that's a *little* extra oil or some of your oil that has already been accounted for?

What do you do if fragrance calculators don't have your fragrance oil listed?

I purchased a container to mix my lye, but wondering what ya'll use. I'm staying away from glass even though Brambleberry is okay with it!

So many recipes make about 6 bars, I have three 42 oz molds and wondered how you make more....!

Thanks so much!

Best of luck with your first batch! I weigh my hard oils directly into my mixing container and melt them in the microwave. Many others melt them on the stove top. Either way works just fine. I only have a microwave available as my soaping space is in my basement.

You can mix your clay with either oil or water, and I take some from the batch to do that. I prefer to use water because I think it hydrates the clay better. Just keep in mind that you need to have at least the same amount of water and lye, by weight, to properly dissolve the lye. I stickblend the clay and water mixture into my warm oils.

I bought a stainless frothing pitcher when I first started making soap to mix my lye and have used it for 8 years. It’s held up great. I have also used #5 plastic with no problems.

The supplier you bought your fragrance from should have IFRA usage rates available. Soap is category 9. I don’t recommend just assuming one with a similar name is the same from one supplier to the next.

A recipe can be easily scaled by learning to use a lye calculator. If you haven’t learned to use one yet, I do suggest you take some time to do that. All recipes you find should be run through a calculator to be sure there aren’t errors. Typos can happen. And when you learn to use one, you can make your own recipes when you are ready.

Have fun and share some pictures!

Oh, that was soooo kind of you to take out the time to answer all of my questions. I might've asked my first question incorrectly as I'm not exactly hip to the lingo yet. Will the hard oils (when solidified) weigh the same when melted? I'm trying to figure out how to measure them before I melt. Thx again!

Oh, that was soooo kind of you to take out the time to answer all of my questions. I might've asked my first question incorrectly as I'm not exactly hip to the lingo yet. Will the hard oils (when solidified) weigh the same when melted? I'm trying to figure out how to measure them before I melt. Thx again!
Yes, because you're going by weight, not volume.

I do the same as dibbles. I weigh my solid oils/butters and melt them in a microwave safe container in the microwave. Just a hint. I usually take the solid fats/butters out of the microwave before they are completely melted. They will finish melting if you stir the mixture for a few minutes. I then add the melted fats/butters to my liquid oils. This helps cool down the melted mixture. I usually discount a small amount of water from what I use to dissolve the lye and mix the clay in that small amount of water. If I am making a single color soap, I just add the clay/water mixture to my oils and stick blend before adding the lye. If you are doing swirls, then divide the soap into portions and color the portion you want colored with the clay mixture. If you have just started making soap, it is better to go with small batches. That way if you make a mistake, you won't be losing a lot of costly ingredients. Amazon.com has individual silicone soap molds for small batches. You can also line a Pringles can or use the bottom of a Velveeta box to test small batches.

Last edited:
Start off with small batches first until you work out how to do it perfectly then scale up.
I use old laundry detergent bottles that have a #5 on the bottom to store premixed NaOH with water. Easy to pour.

I use MMS fragrance calc all the time. Good into, reliable, no complaints.

Across the board, Essential Oils Use Rates differ widely so it's good to research them before using them. Eden Botanicals is a good source.

Fragrance Oils almost always have the same result no matter which FO you use. If my FO isn't listed, I just choose something similar. Read FO descriptions carefully to learn what to expect from them in terms of accelerating trace, morphing, strength and color and judge their use rate accordingly.

FO Amber Romanc.png

So many recipes make about 6 bars, I have three 42 oz molds and wondered how you make more....!
That sounds like WSP's 1501 Silicone Mold. It holds 40 - 44 oz. soap. TIP: To determine how much oil to use to make that amount of soap divide the ounces by a factor of 1.37:

40 - 44 oz. soap divided by 1.37 = 29 - 32 ounces oils (I use 30 oz for most formulas.) It never hurts to make more than you need to fill the mold. I keep a 2 oz mold handy for any excess soap.

The easiest way to resize a batch is to enter the recipe into SoapCalc as written and hit "CALCULATE". Once you have the % of each oil in the batch, you can up or down from there. Choose % in the #6 Box and type the amount you want to make into the #2 box. It will show the result in oz. and grams.

% or oz.png

I hope that makes sense?

You are all thee BEST. Thank you so much. Yeah, I'm not much of a math kinda girl, so that's what I'm finding the hardest about this (guess that's usually the tough part for ppl with this). Really appreciate all the time spent to help me with this. I'm sure I'll be on here a lot more often. Thx!

Welcome to the Forum! You've already heard from the pros. I'll just add a coupla things.

When I first started, I would weigh each oil and butter separately and then pour them in my pot. Then I learned a hack -- from guess where, here! I put my pot on the scale and then add my solid oils and butters. It's easy to extract a chunk of butter if I go over the amount. For liquid oils, I still weigh them out separately.

When I first started, I looked at some of the recommended lye calculators and I ran screaming for the hills -- and I have a chemistry degree. Initially, I liked to use Lye Calculator and Fragrance Calculator because of its simplicity. As I gained experience and knowledge, I later used the more complicated calculators. And don't being do no math! Let the calculators do it all for you!

Good luck to you! We want pictures!!

Welcome to the Forum! You've already heard from the pros. I'll just add a coupla things.

When I first started, I would weigh each oil and butter separately and then pour them in my pot. Then I learned a hack -- from guess where, here! I put my pot on the scale and then add my solid oils and butters. It's easy to extract a chunk of butter if I go over the amount. For liquid oils, I still weigh them out separately.

When I first started, I looked at some of the recommended lye calculators and I ran screaming for the hills -- and I have a chemistry degree. Initially, I liked to use Lye Calculator and Fragrance Calculator because of its simplicity. As I gained experience and knowledge, I later used the more complicated calculators. And don't being do no math! Let the calculators do it all for you!

Good luck to you! We want pictures!!

Oh, thank you so much, Zing. I appreciate that. Yeah, the math is daunting and I'm still like, "Is this okay?" after I create a recipe in the calculator. I'm waiting for my soap cutter and as soon as I have that, I'm going to make a batch, but before that, Imma post it here and see if it looks "normal" to ya'll. The math is the killer for me. I appreciate your wisdom and input, friend!

Last edited:
Canned recipes are a good place to start. Just run them thru a lye calculator. Soapcalc.com, soapmakersfriend.com are a couple. It hard, frustrating, I think I've learned a new language. Lol. But fun, rewarding also. Again welcome aboard.
Thank you! Yeah, I'm feeling clueless, but need the challenge and know I'll figure it out. Watching ppl who have been making soap for years make it look so easy. Oof!

Will my solid oils like coconut or babassu oil weigh the same hard vs. melted?

---> Yes.

How do you all measure the solids?

---> Don't measure, weigh. Use any container you want, just make sure you tare out your scale first.

When adding clay, what do you mix it with beforehand? Oil or water? I've seen oil mentioned, but wondering if that's a *little* extra oil or some of your oil that has already been accounted for?

---> I mix it with a bit of extra water because it will evaporate out.

---> Honestly...I just use 1oz PPO because I don't mess with FOs that have a low usage rate.

I purchased a container to mix my lye, but wondering what ya'll use. I'm staying away from glass even though Brambleberry is okay with it!

---> When I was making 50oz batches, I just mixed in a plastic measuring cup I bought from the Dollar Store. When I started Master Batching my Lye Solution, I used the same mixing bowls that I made my soap in (Dollar Tree) and then stored in HDPE jugs. I recently picked up a 64 oz stainless steel pitcher that is solely for mixing my Lye Solution in. Glass is NO NO.

---> Enter the 6 bar recipe in your soap calculator and then scale it up. Example...I loaded my saved recipe...16oz Oils. 33% Lye Concentration, 5% SuperFat, 1oz FO PPO. I then changed my Oils from 16 to 30, clicked on Calculate, then clicked on View/Print Recipe. That gives me 44.44 Total Weight. Oops. Go back and put in 28oz and recalculate...41.47 Total Weight. Go back and put in 28.5oz...gives me 42.21. Close enough, I don't mind being a tad bit over.

Watching ppl who have been making soap for years make it look so easy.

---> It is easy once you allow yourself to relax.

Will my solid oils like coconut or babassu oil weigh the same hard vs. melted?

---> Yes.

How do you all measure the solids?

---> Don't measure, weigh. Use any container you want, just make sure you tare out your scale first.

---> I mix it with a bit of extra water because it will evaporate out.

---> Honestly...I just use 1oz PPO because I don't mess with FOs that have a low usage rate.

---> When I was making 50oz batches, I just mixed in a plastic measuring cup I bought from the Dollar Store. When I started Master Batching my Lye Solution, I used the same mixing bowls that I made my soap in (Dollar Tree) and then stored in HDPE jugs. I recently picked up a 64 oz stainless steel pitcher that is solely for mixing my Lye Solution in. Glass is NO NO.

---> Enter the 6 bar recipe in your soap calculator and then scale it up. Example...I loaded my saved recipe...16oz Oils. 33% Lye Concentration, 5% SuperFat, 1oz FO PPO. I then changed my Oils from 16 to 30, clicked on Calculate, then clicked on View/Print Recipe. That gives me 44.44 Total Weight. Oops. Go back and put in 28oz and recalculate...41.47 Total Weight. Go back and put in 28.5oz...gives me 42.21. Close enough, I don't mind being a tad bit over.

Watching ppl who have been making soap for years make it look so easy.

---> It is easy once you allow yourself to relax.
Thanks. This is wildly helpful. I've screenshot it. Thanks so much for your time and wisdom!

I learned something today from this thread. I'd never thought of using the SoapCalc calculator to scale my recipe size, and had built an entire spreadsheet to do the work for me, then checked the new figures against SoapCalc. Now I can stop using my spreadsheet, without a tear lost...

To add a little more to what others have already said, I measure each liquid fat in its own little pitcher, and sometimes do that for my solid fats as well, but as I've gotten more experience, I now frequently weigh the first solid (say: coconut oil) into a pitcher, then zero the scale (tare weight) with the pitcher still there, and start adding the second solid fat (say: shea butter). Since I can scoop a little back off if I add too much, there's far less risk of making a mistake than if you were to try the same trick with two liquid fats.

As a fellow new soaper, I can tell you that one of the best things I did was start wearing an N95* mask while mixing my lye water. I mix my lye outside most times, so that I don't have to worry about the fumes in the house, and always wore eye protection, long sleeves, gloves, etc. while mixing it up, but discovered that I'm very sensitive to lye fumes, even outdoors. You should have seen me holding my breath, stirring for a few seconds, stepping away, catching my breath, then heading back in to stir some more. One day I grabbed an N95 mask that I'd bought for use while sanding wood (wood dust is horrible for you), and added that to my 'soap lab' getup... total game changer. Now the lye fumes don't bug me at all. Once the temperature of the lye water drops, the fumes don't bother me, so I only wear the dust mask during the first mix, but I wear my apron, lab coat, safety glasses, and rubber gloves during all the rest of the soap mix process.
1701269615323.png
(it looks like this)

Here's some advice you didn't ask for, too; if you are on a tight budget (and who isn't?), you'll have to make decisions about where to spend money: after you make a couple of batches and decide that this is a craft you want to continue to pursue, I suggest spending a bit more for a decent immersion blender (you don't have to break the bank, but spending a bit more than the minimum will help prevent you having a burned-out blender motor in the middle of a batch), and buy a scale that will do tenths of a gram.** The increase in accuracy is very reassuring when you're making small batches in particular. I haven't seen a lot of discussion on the forum about what scales to use, so I may be in the minority on this point.

-=-

* I haven't tried it, but I imagine that a KN95 mask would help almost as much. After the pandemic, a lot more of us have stuff like this around our house, so you may not even have to buy anything.

** I have an even more expensive scale/balance that does hundredths of a gram, but only use it for weighing scents, powders, preservatives, and chelators, as it's too sensitive for bulk fats. I doubt this would be of much use to most people and I can't recommend it as a 'must have' item. My wife works with scents more than I do, and she has a balance that goes to three decimal points... far more accuracy than I'll likely ever need.

I learned something today from this thread. I'd never thought of using the SoapCalc calculator to scale my recipe size, and had built an entire spreadsheet to do the work for me, then checked the new figures against SoapCalc. Now I can stop using my spreadsheet, without a tear lost...

When I started Masterbatching my Oils/Butters and Ready-to-Use Lye Solution I made up a spreadsheet that lists every one of my molds...it includes the Mfg and a description of the mold and total weight that it holds. Then I set down with SoapCalc, loaded in my Regular Soap recipes an then used it to figure out how much of my MB'd Oils, Lye Solution and FO I would need for each mold. As an example...my 5lb Mold from Nurture Soap holds 93oz so I need 63oz Oils, 26.38oz Lye Solution and 3.94oz of FO for a total of 93.32oz. As long as I am within a half ounce plus or minus I'm good.

Added to this...my ladle holds approximately 4oz so 63/4=15.75 scoops. So I place my contain on my scale, tare, scoop out 15 ladles and grab and extra one when I put the container back on the scale. If I'm too slow and my scale has shut off, NBD (no big deal), the weight of all my containers are written on the bottom with a black Sharpie.. I then pop the container in the microwave...30 seconds PPO to get it up to temp. While that is going on, I weigh out my Lye Solution, add Sodium Lactate and then weigh out my FO and add Kaolin Clay. From start to finish (includes clean up), it takes me about 20 minutes.

To add a little more to what others have already said, I measure each liquid fat in its own little pitcher, and sometimes do that for my solid fats as well, but as I've gotten more experience, I now frequently weigh the first solid (say: coconut oil) into a pitcher, then zero the scale (tare weight) with the pitcher still there, and start adding the second solid fat (say: shea butter). Since I can scoop a little back off if I add too much, there's far less risk of making a mistake than if you were to try the same trick with two liquid fats.

I still weigh my Distilled Water and Sodium Hydroxide separately...probably always will. Oils/butters...I think that it is best when first starting out to weigh your first ingredient directly into the container, then weigh each ingredient into ONE separate container and then add it and then weigh the next (less dirty dishes). The reason is that that you get a feel for the liquids. Can't tell you how many times I overpoured my Soft Oils because I didn't account for the weight of what was already in the bowl and what was between the spout and the bowl. And there were more than a few times when I started weighing directly into the bowl and I got a little overconfident. As long as I was under a quarter ounce, I wasn't worried about a little extra SuperFat, but if it was more, I'd stop and recalculate my recipe. Of course, Masterbatching has me back to weighing each ingredient separately because of quantity.

Here's some advice you didn't ask for, too; if you are on a tight budget (and who isn't?), you'll have to make decisions about where to spend money: after you make a couple of batches and decide that this is a craft you want to continue to pursue, I suggest spending a bit more for a decent immersion blender (you don't have to break the bank, but spending a bit more than the minimum will help prevent you having a burned-out blender motor in the middle of a batch), and buy a scale that will do tenths of a gram.** The increase in accuracy is very reassuring when you're making small batches in particular. I haven't seen a lot of discussion on the forum about what scales to use, so I may be in the minority on this point.

Something to consider too that that second-hand/thrift shops are our friend.

I spent $10 on a Digital Scale; going on year five and it still works, and yes I do check it a few times a year and have changed the battery; it does pounds, ounces and grams. I'm about due for a new scale, but only because I'm using larger containers.

And I'm guilty of not spending a lot on a Stick Blender, but again, it does the trick well if you are a hobby soap maker. And even if you have a small business and don't abuse it, it will serve you well. My next SB will most likely be the KitchenAid Cordless Variable Speed, but will have to do more research.

As a fellow new soaper, I can tell you that one of the best things I did was start wearing an N95* mask while mixing my lye water. I mix my lye outside most times, so that I don't have to worry about the fumes in the house, and always wore eye protection, long sleeves, gloves, etc. while mixing it up, but discovered that I'm very sensitive to lye fumes, even outdoors. You should have seen me holding my breath, stirring for a few seconds, stepping away, catching my breath, then heading back in to stir some more. One day I grabbed an N95 mask that I'd bought for use while sanding wood (wood dust is horrible for you), and added that to my 'soap lab' getup... total game changer. Now the lye fumes don't bug me at all. Once the temperature of the lye water drops, the fumes don't bother me, so I only wear the dust mask during the first mix, but I wear my apron, lab coat, safety glasses, and rubber gloves during all the rest of the soap mix process.
View attachment 75445 (it looks like this)

-=-

* I haven't tried it, but I imagine that a KN95 mask would help almost as much. After the pandemic, a lot more of us have stuff like this around our house, so you may not even have to buy anything.

** I have an even more expensive scale/balance that does hundredths of a gram, but only use it for weighing scents, powders, preservatives, and chelators, as it's too sensitive for bulk fats. I doubt this would be of much use to most people and I can't recommend it as a 'must have' item. My wife works with scents more than I do, and she has a balance that goes to three decimal points... far more accuracy than I'll likely ever need.
Have you tried freezing your liquid? You can freeze your liquid that you plan to use for your lye solution and add lye to the ice ~ almost no fumes that way. You can measure your liquid ahead and pour it into ice cube trays so you know you have the exact amount you need.

Have you tried freezing your liquid? You can freeze your liquid that you plan to use for your lye solution and add lye to the ice ~ almost no fumes that way. You can measure your liquid ahead and pour it into ice cube trays so you know you have the exact amount you need.
I haven't tried that, but I will!

Latest posts

Back