what does salt add to soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If 25% and 50% salt makes soap that isn't greatly different to you, then use the one that makes the soap easiest to make. There is no one best amount of salt for everyone -- it is whatever YOU like best. People use anywhere from 25% salt based on the total fat weight up to 100% salt.

Ditto what DeeAnna said^^^. It's completely a matter of personal taste. My first salt bars were made with 100% salt as per the weight of my oils, but after a fair bit of experimentation, I found that I liked a lower amount better.

IrishLass :)

I have said it before and Ill say it again - bathing with a salt bar is like playing in the waves and having bruddah Iz sing to you:
...My bars are super simple 80% CO, 15%OO (or almond or whatevs), 5% Castor, 20% SF, 80% salt ppo. A nice mint & eucalyptus EO mix in the summer is SO refreshing.
Thank you Seawolfe for your words, a "time out" with bruddah Iz and for sharing your recipe. I feel refreshed!

Dear DeeAnna and IrishLass
thanks for your advice . The reason I asked this question was I do not have someone to test my soaps and find the difference so I wanted to have your recommendation about the usage rate as a pro in soap making and active in business.

Ely -- honestly, it's truly all about personal preference. Anywhere from 25% to 100% salt per weight of oils will make a nice salt bar. If you were to sell salt bars anywhere within this range of salt content, customers would be fine with them.

Ely -- honestly, it's truly all about personal preference. Anywhere from 25% to 100% salt per weight of oils will make a nice salt bar. If you were to sell salt bars anywhere within this range of salt content, customers would be fine with them.

DeeAnna, Thanks a lot for your help.

Ely said:
The reason I asked this question was I do not have someone to test my soaps and find the difference so I wanted to have your recommendation about the usage rate as a pro in soap making and active in business.
Hi Ely- I don't sell- I'm just a long-time, obsessive soap-maker/user. :lol: Besides using my soap on myself and the rest of my household, I also gift it out to my family and friends. My testers are just me, and my family and friends, but mostly just me, my hubby and son because the only soap we use in our house is what I make. If either of us 3 don't like it, I just tweak things until we do like it. That's what I like about making soap myself- I can custom design the recipe to our own tastes.

Don't worry about not having any testers- if it's just you in your household, the best tester is yourself. :)

IrishLass :)

Latest posts

Back