Wall pour

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As a real newbie who's fascinated with swirls, I love your style of video! I'm past watching how to SB and getting the batter and colors mixed so getting right to the artistic part is great for me. Seeing the exact point of trace needed is good info as it's such an important aspect of it all. I would love to see the soap after it's cut at the end of the videos.

As I attempt to learn all this it's easy to think that to get these beautiful swirls it's a very regimented process. In reality it's nice to see that most of the time it's a dump it in and see what you get! I think that's the fun of it! ETA...upon reading that it doesn't sound right! I don't mean 'just dump it in' as it sounds! Just that as you pour a line you don't have to be anal about straight lines and/or perfect circles as I originally thought.

Thank you all that make these videos! I'm very definitely a visual learner so these are priceless to me.

Last edited:
Okay, I finally got to try a wall pour.

It looks so easy, right? Fill a paper cup, squish it and pour on the wall. Seven colors and you're done in 60 seconds.

I had the perfect batter, AHRE's Hippie Chick (surprisingly, I liked the scent!) which may have even reversed trace. And lots of paper cups. Sadly, I discovered that I have a serious 'paper cup disability'. Happily, I have several of those newly purchased long necked measuring cups to re-dump my colors into - Ah! they worked brilliantly! Sadly, that's 7 more things to wash. Happily, there was several more ounces of soap batter than would fit in the mold, because several of those ended up all over the mold and counter.

I also did the pencil tilt method that Tatiana uses, but didn't pay attention to which side was supposed to get poured on - the tilted or opposite. My mold isn't tall and skinny, but is more square than crafters choice 1501.

I'm really pleased with the colors I chose, but I suspect I have invented the Humpty Dumpty pour!

I take zero offense to "dump it in" because I am not a regimented person. I slop all over and doubt I could get a clean pour or a perfect line if my life were in jeopardy for it. There are some designs that probably need excellent lines but if you're going to swirl it over the entire surface, often it makes no difference, so messy works for me. I will remember to include cut pics at the ends of videos. I didn't this time particularly because I posted cut pics beforehand.

Okay, I need clarification on what a serious paper cup disability is. I hate the little 3 ouncers I got. The bottom is pressed paper kind of scrunched around the bottom and they collapse with the slightest pressure which is no end of annoying. The other ones are sturdier and seem to work okay. What happened, lenarenee? Pics of your soap, please!!!

I take zero offense to "dump it in" because I am not a regimented person. I slop all over and doubt I could get a clean pour or a perfect line if my life were in jeopardy for it. There are some designs that probably need excellent lines but if you're going to swirl it over the entire surface, often it makes no difference, so messy works for me. I will remember to include cut pics at the ends of videos. I didn't this time particularly because I posted cut pics beforehand.

Okay, I need clarification on what a serious paper cup disability is. I hate the little 3 ouncers I got. The bottom is pressed paper kind of scrunched around the bottom and they collapse with the slightest pressure which is no end of annoying. The other ones are sturdier and seem to work okay. What happened, lenarenee? Pics of your soap, please!!!

Okay but don't make fun of me - I'm very sensitive about my disability. :oops:: You see, I can't aim the stupid point of the cup and get the soap to hit the wall. It goes over the wall or onto the mold floor, but not the wall. So I dumped the colors into the measuring cups with the long spouts which has worked great.

I'll be happy to post pics when I cut. I'd like to enter November's challenge too, but right now I can't get my phone to cooperate with the computer.

Newbie, I really enjoyed the video. I love the way it's so down to earth and makes you think, yes I can try this! At least until the soap gremlins hit in and I have mashed potato rather than light trace! Seriously though I can't wait to give it a go.

I'm also intrigued Lenarennee when you mentioned tatiana's pencil tilt method. Hope you don't mind me asking where I would find it?

The pencil thing is Great Cakes Challenge for this month. My understanding is that it is an alternating wall pour, but you tilt the mold slightly (using a pencil), pour down the wall, wait a moment, then tilt the other direction using the pencil, wall pour the other side and wait...back and forth. The soap I made is pretty close, but sloppier, to the effect that method gets.

Maybe you were pouring too fast, lena, for the soap to slide down the wall and the momentum took it over the rim and wall. I hook the rolled lip of the cup over the edge of the mold OR I run that lip about at the halfway mark of the brim of the mold. That's a little messier but the soap has no choice but to pour down the wall because it's starting on the brim. You'd have to go a little slower than I did, but my wall pour was pretty slapdash. WEll, maybe worth a one pound trial- ANYTHING to prevent containers to wash, at least for me! I still want to see a pic when you cut.

I'll put you on the challenge list. If I misread you on that, let me know and I'll take you off.

Last edited:
I have done several wall pours since you started this thread because the soaps you made were so nice.

I also had a problem with getting the batter to flow down the wall. I never tried the tilt until this month's Great Cakes Challenge, but it made it so much easier for me to direct the pour....particularly in a tall & skinny mold. You lift one side and pour on the other. The look is really nice, too. I've done three this way and I like the look of the soap a lot. I'll post a pic after I decide which one I'm entering in the Challenge.

I love the Brown one! So different. The itp layer gives it another depth. I'm gearing up to try this one. I think the gcsw challenge dates are ending earlier than they used to. I may be wrong, but it seems that way (link up is a week from today, voting a week from Sunday I believe), so I have to get moving! Thx for the video tutorial!

I cut my Humpty Dumpty yesterday! Scented with Rustic Escentuals Hippie Chick it took an extra day to set up.

I'm really happy with how it turned out even though it doesn't look much like a wall pour because the sides are so symmetrical. For colors I used a red orange, yellow orange, yellow, green, brown and gold - very 70's, and the "swoops" of the Humpty Dumpty pour remind me of graceful layers of fabric ...it's a perfect compliment for the Hippie Chick scent.

I'll try to post a picture later - I need to get out an old camera to communicate with my uncooperative computer - who's photo program is in German (can you say Lenovo?)

I've entered one of mine in the Great Cakes Challenge, but here are a couple of others that I attempted. The first one I really like but it's so pastel that I figured it wouldn't get any attention in the Challenge. The second I stuck on a heating pad to try to pop the colors and I think that stopped the flow. I didn't get as much of a flow in that one.

Shimmy 3.jpg

Last Shimmy.jpg

Thanks for the comments. So far the entrants all look great. This month's challenge is going to be tough!

Newbie, I love your video! As others have stated, you gave exactly the right amount of helpful information and nothing else. It was perfect. I am more of a solid soap gal, but now I maj just try this technique this weekend. I would also like to compliment you on knowing when to stop swirling. Often times I see something really cool forming on a video, then the person makes about 10 more passes after the point where it looked really pretty. :)

Anyway- please add my vote to the pile of people who would like to see more videos. Also add one to the pile of people who want to see the cut soap from the video you posted. It looked really cool on top but I am having a hard time picturing what the results might look like in a cut soap.

Thanks for the feedback Jayjay. I had already posted pics of the cut bars (page 1 and I think 3) so I didn't include them in the video but you are right, I should regardless of posting them elsewhere.

Back