Volume Conversion Table

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zany_in_CO

Saponifier
Reaction score
VOLUME CONVERSION TABLE

20 drops 1 ml
40 drops 2 ml
60 drops 3 ml
80 drops 4 ml
100 drops 5 ml 1 teaspoon
300 drops 15 ml 1 tablespoon
600 drops 30 ml 1 fluid ounce

1 fluid ounces 2 Tablespoons (liquid)
2 fluid ounces 6 teaspoons (liquid)
3 teaspoons 1 Tablespoon
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Here is the exact weight to volume conversion if you prefer to make your product without a scale.

0.1 oz by weight = 0.082 US fluid ounces = 2.425 ml
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
GOOGLE OZ. TO GRAMS:

type in: 30 oz to grams
It will return the answer to you!
It's a built in converter, right in the main Google search window!
Try ANY conversion you want it will most likely know how to do it.
If not it will find the page you need to go to.

Ran across this while looking for something else on Lotion Crafter. It verifies the Volume Conversion Table above but makes note that the results are only an estimate at best.

Scroll down to Liquid Volume Converter to convert "drops" to whichever volume measure you want to use, i.e., I like using 100 mls (3.5 oz) when making EO blends that often show up on aromatherapy sites in "drops".

CALCULATORS - LOTION CRAFTER

Another useful one (for the math-challenged like me) for diluting Liquid Soap Paste is the Dilution Calculator. I typically make a gallon of Liquid Soap at a time using the following guidelines:

100% Olive oil (and similar) LS requires 15-20% soap to 85-80% dilution water.
100% Coconut oil (and similar) LS requires 40% soap to 60%% dilution water.
50/50 combo of the above requires 40% soap to 60%% dilution water.
All other combos fall somewhere in between.

To determine the amount of soap your recipe makes use a factor of 1.37:

30 oz. oils X 1.37 = 41.1 oz soap (approx.)

By the same token, my WSP 1501 Silicone Loaf Mold capacity is 44 oz. according to the description. To determine the amount of oils needed to fill the mold:

44 oz. soap / 1.37 = 32.1 oz. oils (approx.)

Through experience, I learned whether to use 30 or 32 ounces for whatever recipe I was making. I generally use 32 ounces for that mold because I smooth off the top and save the excess to make 1 or 2 samples to test at my kitchen sink as the batch is curing. :thumbs: 😉

HAPPY SOAPING! :computerbath:

Just a note: oz to grams is a weight conversion, fl oz cannot reliably be converted to grams unless you know the specific gravity or bulk density of the material you are measuring. Just like grams can't exactly be converted to fl oz without knowing this factor either.

And the old "20 drops = 1 milliliter" is not all that accurate either. This is a decent approximation for water or dilute water solutions, but you can't use that assumption for other liquids since their viscosity and surface tension are often quite different from water. Many EOs aren't even kind of close to the 20 drops = 1mL assumption.

@Megan There is a work-around I use (and this is just me -- others are free to disagree). This applies to fragrance blends from Aromatherapy sites and EO Herbal or Therapeutic sites where blends are often given in "drops". If you convert the number of "drops" to "parts" or %s of a blend, you can then use parts or % by oz. wt. or grams. I hope that makes sense. 😉

I see your point, Cee, but Megan is still correct in that that measuring by drops, a volumetric measurement, doesn't directly correspond to measuring by weight. And add the fact I mentioned that 20 drops is not necessarily 1 mL, and the situation becomes even more inaccurate.

That said, you are correct that there are many formulations for EO based on drops, and a person has to start somewhere. But there's a better way than assuming X drops = Y mL = Z grams. Get your jeweler's scale out, make the recipe drop-wise, and record the weight of each ingredient as you go. No assumptions and no calculator required. If you do this, the weight-based formulation should be exactly the same as the drop-wise version.

If a person doesn't have a jeweler's scale and decides to convert a drop-wise formulation into estimated gram weights, they'd be well advised to make a test blend and confirm the weight-based version is anywhere close to the drops-based version. Based on my past experience, the two versions may not be at all the same and you STILL have to tweak the blend to get it right. This is another good reason why it's best to use a scale to weigh the "drops" version and directly convert it to weight.

Latest posts

Back