estimating weights of essential oils?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey soap peeps. Because of my hobby, I frequently get gifts of tiny bottles of essential oils, like from Whole Foods. They are 0.5 to 2 fluid ounces (5-55 mL). I know every liquid has a different density -- but do any of you have a general rule of thumb for estimating a weight? I just want to be able to right size a batch of soap or lotion bars. Thanks!

I am interested in hearing what others do as well. I have been known to pour a smaller amount into a partial bottle of the same EO. Then just use whatever amount I need from the combined EO. But that does have its potential dangers. What if one is about to go "bad?"

Hey soap peeps. Because of my hobby, I frequently get gifts of tiny bottles of essential oils, like from Whole Foods. They are 0.5 to 2 fluid ounces (5-55 mL). I know every liquid has a different density -- but do any of you have a general rule of thumb for estimating a weight? I just want to be able to right size a batch of soap or lotion bars. Thanks!
EDIT: changed VOLUME to CAPACITY.

I would suggest to make things accurate: weigh some identically sized EMPTY essential oil bottles - providing you keep them like I do - and do the below.

eg. Weigh a .5 oz OR 1 oz OR 2 oz bottle that's empty, make note of the weight. Then weigh a bottle of equal CAPACITY with your essential oil in it. This would give you a very good idea of how much, weighed, is in that bottle :)

There are 'measurements' I've seen out there which say '10 drops of essential oil is *** ml or **** grams'. Rubbish. But you also don't need to go to the extreme of worrying about molecular weight in my opinion.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back