Using fragrance oils

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dwilson9

Reaction score
i want to add fragrance oil to my bath bomb recipe but not exactly sure how to go about it. do fragrance oils need to be diluted in carrier oils? at what ratio is acceptable? the fragrance oil i want to use says do not apply undiluted directly on skin, but yet a ways it is skin safe and suitable for use in bath bombs at a max rate of 12.5%. the flash point is also higher than 93 degrees celsius.

so if i wanted to use it in my recipe at a percentage of 1%, what percentage of polysorbate would i need do and what percentage of carrier oil would i need?

Remember that the FO will also be diluted in all the bath water, too. Here is how I add my FO to the mix:

First I mix all dry ingredients except the citric acid.

In a separate container, I combine all of my liquids (water, FO, PS80, and liquid color if any).

Then I combine the liquid and dry until they are thoroughly mixed.

Only then do I add the CA. That way it doesn’t activate.

Remember that the FO will also be diluted in all the bath water, too. Here is how I add my FO to the mix:

In a separate container, I combine all of my liquids (water, FO, PS80, and liquid color if any).

You can add the FO right to the citric acid/baking soda mixture, after they are thoroughly mixed together. Usually polysorbate 80 is used at a 1:2 ratio with carrier oil.
Polysorbate 80 in bath bombs - a complete guide
Can you omit the carrier oil and only use FO and P80?
Do you have to add the FO and p80 together and mix and add then to the dry mix or can you add the FO on its own

At what ratio of the Fo to p80 to carrier? I was reading a 2:1 cartier to poly ratio and that fo doesn’t need to be factored in, but what if I don’t include carrier oil, then how much poly? Or what if the amount of Fo I use is more than the carrier I use? The how much poly?

Can you omit the carrier oil and only use FO and P80?
Do you have to add the FO and p80 together and mix and add then to the dry mix or can you add the FO on its own
The recipes I have seen use oil or butter along with the polysorbate 80.

I don’t tend to use oils in my bath bombs, but if you do, then you will have to play around with the ratios. Different oils and different EOs need different amounts of PS80 to be solubilized in the bath water.

I would start with the 2:1 ratio suggested by @lsg and go from there.

Latest posts

Back