Your favorite oils to use for facial cleaning

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aprice522

Reaction score
I am not talking about what oils you use for your soaps, but what straight up carrier oils (and/or essential oils you add) that you like to use in an oil cleansing method. I am out of pretty much everything except a little bit of my emu oil which I love but don’t use it for cleansing just as a moisturizer at night.

In the past I have used apricot and when I ran out of that the Aragon, but originally I use that for hair….

I am in the United States, Indiana, 47 going on 48 years old and would consider my skin to be mature.

I do nothing commercial, just love to be natural and before I go shopping, would love to hear some input from people with lots of experience!

Bonus points for a shout out to your favorite brand/retailer that you feel provides quality product and service!

Thank you so much and I look forward to hearing your wisdom!

I love safflower oil, it's light and i find it dissolves makeup better than other oils. It's high in linoleic acid which my skin loves since I'm prone to breakouts. It's cheap, it's available everywhere. 👌

I make an oil cleansing solid balm inspired by Humblebee's recipes, and scent it with vetiver and lavender which I enjoy at night time.

Before my skin became *ahem* mature, I used half castor and half grapeseed and it worked great. A few years ago, it became drier and more combination, so I changed to just plain olive oil. Sometimes I added some avocado (these were straight from the kitchen, likely from Costco). These days I feel like oil cleansing isn't working for me anymore, partially because my skin seemed irritated all the time, and partially because lately I'm really needing some major exfoliating action. (I should also add that we moved from a place where we had awesome water to a place where we have hard water, which probably didn't help.) I've started using cleansing balms because they're less stripping on my skin. This one from HB&M includes some kaolin clay as a gentle exfoliator and I like it. I didn't make it exactly as she did since I didn't have all the ingredients, but the concept is the same.

I've started using cleansing balms because they're less stripping on my skin. This one from HB&M includes some kaolin clay as a gentle exfoliator and I like it. I didn't make it exactly as she did since I didn't have all the ingredients, but the concept is the same.
Yess, that's the same balm recipe I use! I like that it's solid so there's no dripping oil on the counter, and i love the addition of clay as well.

Yess, that's the same balm recipe I use! I like that it's solid so there's no dripping oil on the counter, and i love the addition of clay as well.
I travel a lot for my job, and the last time I made it, I poured some into a little capsule that I use for toilets-type stuff. It’s so much easier to pack than oil!

Thank you so much for the website and link to balm! I have most ingredients and am going to dig in and see if I can make a go at it! I’d never saw her site before so this is fantastic. Keep those resources coming!

Latest posts

Back