Uneven pour

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maythorn

Reaction score
I'm struggling with what is the right moment to pour and last time I waited too long. :x So I got a goopy looking surface but when I turn the slab over to cut it, it will have a smooth top. But does it look really amateur to have the bottoms of the bars uneven? I tried to take a clean sponge (one I designated for soap only) to it and at that point it had hardened too much to dab at. Oh, well, at least the tops will be pretty if the freezer paper doesn't turn against me and stick to it! :lol:

I have some bars with smooth tops and uneven bottoms. IMO, it doesn't look amateur but handmade. :wink:

However, you could plane the rough bottom to smooth it.

Hazel said:
I have some bars with smooth tops and uneven bottoms. IMO, it doesn't look amateur but handmade.

Great point Hazel. It took me a while to accept some imperfections are the hallmark of handmade. When I did, it was very liberating and opened up a world of creative possibilities.

Hazel said:
you could plane the rough bottom to smooth it.

I guess you can use those shavings to prepopulate your mold next time you make soap. The new soap bonds to the shavings and you get cool patterns in the new finished bar.

There is no reason soap should ever go to waste.

I think I will leave it as is and just try to pour sooner in the future. I would only buy a planer if the tops were all messed up, too. Thanks!

Back