Uneven gelling?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meowmeow2d

Reaction score
I'm new to soap making and just made my 1st batch. After cutting the soap, which has no color or added, I noticed that it looked uneven toned. I know gelling usually is circular, darker in the inside. But mine is randomly uneven. Is this gelling or something else?

No fragrance or essential oil was added. After doing some reading here, can it be the temperature of mixing the lye to the oils? I did it when both mixtures were about 115 degrees F.

I made a Bastille soap

2oz. Castor oil
8oz. Coconut oil
22oz olive oil

Melted oils together and let it cool to 115 degrees then mixed with lye.

image.jpg

could they be lye pockets? did you mix the lye and oils until trace?

I'm not really sure then. if it's not lye pockets from lye not dissolved properly, then I would say give it a few days and see if it evens out. I made true castile earlier this year, and had partial gel. it's now one colour. if you're positive it's not lye pockets, then zap test the soap.

It's hard to tell from the pic, but I'd say you didn't achieve a full gel stage. It looks like the centre of the soap started to gel, but the lighter outer ring seems to indicate better insulation in needed.

This looks almost exactly like a batch I made from a similar recipe. It was quite thick when I poured it, I figured it was from accidental layering and partial gel.

Back