Trying the soap recipe Hazel gave me

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MirandaH

Reaction score
About three weeks ago I made my first batch of soap. Castile. I have not touched it since. I was disappointed with a partial gel and learned that the freezer is my friend. I was also having trouble finding palm oil and Hazel gave me a basic recipe that I could try to make that required no palm. I made it on Christmas Eve. It came out very pretty, no partial gel and looked so creamy.

On New Years Eve I decided that it had been a WHOLE WEEK, and I could wait no longer to try it. Oddly enough, my skin on my body felt great after the shower, but the palms of my hands were dry. However, I had been cleaning the fridge with bleach and cleaning my soaping supplies that day. I was also a little discouraged that there were few bubbles (none that weren't microscopic). A creamy lather, but nothing to write home about. I put it back on the drying rack and didn't touch it again. Today I did research on how to get more bubbles and was supposed to make a new batch with some sugar.

I never got around to the batch because I have been feeling yucky today, so my hubby told me to go sit in the bath for a while. I figured since I was sitting in the bath, I might as well try my soap again. What a tremendous difference just those 10 days have made. There were big fluffy bubbles everywhere and a wash cloth made crazy lather. My bath poof disappeared, so I am not sure what that would have done yet. I have used liquid body wash for as long as I can remember because I don't like the way commercial soaps make my skin feel, but I felt so good coming out of that shower I felt like I could run around the block. Again, the palms of my hand feel dry, but not as dry as they were 10 days ago, so I am hoping that continues to decrease over the next 3.5 weeks that I should have left it before trying it out. Even the skin on my face feels fantastic.

I am so grateful to Hazel for giving me this recipe to try. I have never used soap before that was not commercial and I can't believe how amazing my skin feels. I will never buy soap at the store again! This really makes me want to make more and more soap. I want everyone I know to try it. I can't wait to see what it feels like when it is truly ready.

Yep, that Hazel, she's a gem. And a good soaper too. I know - I have one of hers from the soap swap!

That's interesting your palms get dry. The backs of mine get dry, but never the palms. Handmade soap is really good at fixing problems but I recommend gloves next time you break out the bleach ;)

That's cool you made a castille. Sounds like you led the pack. Next winter you can be one of the first to say how it is! I'll be telling my story on NYE!

Isn't cure a wonderful thing? I never understand soapers who want to skip it. Congrats on making a wonderful castille bar.

The Castile was the first batch that I made. I did that because I was nervous about working with lye and wanted it to be as easy, with as few worries and distractions as possible to give me a chance to see what working with lye was like. It was so easy, I did another batch, which my husband flattened and then one more batch because I didn't like that he flattened the other. I also wanted to make a lot of it, in case I liked it and didn't want to find out when I would have to wait for another batch to cure another year. So, I have three batches curing right now. I haven't tried any of them and won't until they are at least 6 months old.

I am totally clueless on why the palms of my hands are dry (and yes, gloves with bleach from now on is a must.. My hands felt horrible that day and I didn't use that much bleach). But there is a significant difference in how they feel from the first time I tried it and when I tried it yesterday. And this morning, when I woke up, my skin still felt fantastic!! I never would have believed that just switching to handmade soap would make me feel so good!! I am hooked!

The Castile was not the one that I tried. It was this recipe that Hazel gave me on the other thread that I made:

5% lye discount - nice for the shower because it's mild with good lather. I have dry skin and I've even used this soap on my face.

30% lard
30% olive oil
25% coconut oil
10% sunflower oil
5% castor oil

I don't know why people would want to totally skip cure either, now that I have seen what a difference the wait makes. However, I have an instant gratification monkey inside me that had to try it initially after only a week and I believe the title of the thread was "Is it ready yet, is it ready yet, is it ready yet." :wink:

I am going to keep letting it sit and try it from time to time until it is ready and keep track here of the difference in look and feel as it continues to cure, but I can't imagine it feeling better than it did last night.

Also, I am trying to find alcohol in a higher content because I have gotten ash on every batch I have made. I was really happy to find out it was ash. This batch had ash on it and the way the ash looked made me think I might have DOS. I am really happy that was not the case. Ash is a lot easier to deal with.

I can get 91 or higher percent rubbing alcohol at my local CVS store in Virginia, and sometimes even at Wally World. Grocery stores seem only carry the lower percentages.

And Obsidian, thanks for sharing that video, what a great idea and looks like it works miracles. I got ash on a couple of batches of salt shaving soap, can't wait to try this. I don't have a steamer, but am going to try using my steam iron (if I can find it, that is, haven't ironed any clothes in at least a decade. ;))

I've been wanting to for awhile, but this post makes me want to make a lard soap ASAP. People are so freaked out about lard soap around here. When I've mentioned it to my friends I get a reaction similar to if I had mentioned using human fat. Haha.. Dunno why when everyone here loves bacon.

I've been wanting to for awhile, but this post makes me want to make a lard soap ASAP. People are so freaked out about lard soap around here. When I've mentioned it to my friends I get a reaction similar to if I had mentioned using human fat. Haha.. Dunno why when everyone here loves bacon.

I have definitely rethought my position on lard after trying this bar. I am making my first batch with palm oil today and I am going to compare the two when they are ready. With this being my first time trying handmade soaps, I have no idea how luxurious it can get, lol. I have no problem using lard now, for certain. I can't wait to take another bath with it tonight, lol. Then I am going to leave it alone for a couple more weeks and see what happens. I even shaved with it last night and I wasn't all scratchy when I got out of the shower.

I also get dry palms if I use a soap too soon, especially if it has coconut oil in it. After a 6 week cure, its not a problem.

I also get dry palms if I use a soap too soon, especially if it has coconut oil in it. After a 6 week cure, its not a problem.

That makes a lot of sense and is what I am hoping for. The difference in just these two weeks is huge in ever aspect. I just need to learn to leave it alone for the next three weeks and see what happens. I have a list of different things I want to try, so I am going to try to make something every day or every other day for a while. If I can keep that pace, in six weeks I will have something new to try almost every day.

I like an 8 week cure, but nobody said that I don't use my "sample" bar right away, ha ha. When I trim the ends off a log, I always take it right to the sink. I KNOW it will feel better and lather better in a few weeks, but there's just something about playing with my new soap - even the ones I've been making for years :)

I like an 8 week cure, but nobody said that I don't use my "sample" bar right away, ha ha. When I trim the ends off a log, I always take it right to the sink. I KNOW it will feel better and lather better in a few weeks, but there's just something about playing with my new soap - even the ones I've been making for years :)

Guilty as charged too! :D Patience is not my strong virtue, and I always sneak a slice after a few days to test drive it in the shower. I guess i better learn to leave it longer, since i can't make a good judgement based on a few days old soap.

I do the same thing. No patience at all. That's why I HP most of my soaps, so I can use them just a little sooner. lol But even those, with a water discount and everything, where you'd think they'd be ready to go right away, still are even better at least 3 weeks later, as far as lather and hardness. Even liquid soap does better after a few weeks. :) And knowing all that..... I still have to try it right away when it's done. lol

Miranda -

I'm glad to hear you like the soap. I agree soap gets milder with a longer cure and I normally prefer at least 6 weeks. I have to apologize since I've recently discovered it would be better to use a higher lye discount during extreme cold weather. This recipe was fine for my skin last winter. I just found out since the weather has been much colder this year that I've been having to use a heavier than normal cream. I've especially had problems with my hands - backs and palms. This is because they're the most exposed to environmental conditions (weather and occupational). I didn't realize how much of a difference this would make. This is a good example of why people recommend waiting to find out how a recipe performs over time. I'm sorry I didn't realize this but I've learned something new. Now I'll know to mention a higher lye discount might be better during the winter.

I also have to confess to testing CP soap samples in about a week and HP samples the next day. :shh:

@ Obsidian -

Thanks for sharing the link! That's a great idea to use a fabric steamer. I wait until I'm doing a rebatch because steam always escapes from one side of the double boiler. I hold the bars in the steam to remove ash. A fabric steamer would make it much easier and I wouldn't have to wait until rebatching.

@ CaraBou -

Thanks for the compliment. :oops: I don't think I'm that good of a soapmaker. I've gotten in a rut and haven't been trying to better my skills.

I hear you! I get the same reaction here! It's like saying I make my soap with poop. So have I'm only making lard soap for myself, and when they ask about my beautiful skin I'll say...lard, baby, lard!

I hear you! I get the same reaction here! It's like saying I make my soap with poop. So have I'm only making lard soap for myself, and when they ask about my beautiful skin I'll say...lard, baby, lard!

praise-the-lard.jpg

Latest posts

Back