trimmed soap pieces

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

renaissancemom

Reaction score
i don't know what to do with all of my trimmings, i hate to throw them out, but i couldn't melt them and reuse them because there isn't enough of any one scent or color. i was wondering if i could grate them into small pieces and use them in my laundry. would that be safe, would it clean the clothes?

That is my favorite way to use up soap scraps.

I mix 1/2 cup shredded soap with 1/2 cup boiling water until it melts. Then add 1/4 cup of borax and 1/4 cup of washing soda. Stir until it dissolves, and then pour it in an old, 2 quart laundry soap container and top off with water. It works beautifully, especially when you use vinegar instead of fabric softener.

As soon as I'm done trimming my soap I rolled the extra trimmings into soap balls, maybe an inch or inch and a half diameter. I don't waste a piece of soap that way. They make a great hand soap or to give away to friends. Just smoosh and roll.

bubblefan said:
That is my favorite way to use up soap scraps.

I mix 1/2 cup shredded soap with 1/2 cup boiling water until it melts. Then add 1/4 cup of borax and 1/4 cup of washing soda. Stir until it dissolves, and then pour it in an old, 2 quart laundry soap container and top off with water. It works beautifully, especially when you use vinegar instead of fabric softener.

If you use Vinegar, DON'T USE BLEACH!!

I've made the concoction that bubblefan described, but I am wondering about the washing soda and Borax. They look exactly the same coming out of the box, and neither of the boxes that I bought have the ingredients listed. Does anyone know what the content of these products really is? They look so similar and have the same claims and I wondered if they were actually the same thing.

Stacie

I usually use my trimmings for confetti soaps, but after a while, so many trimmings can accumulate that if I were to use the bulk of them, all of my soaps would eventually have to become confetti soaps! :lol:

I was reading on another forum where someone came up with the idea of making little reclosable and reusable bags out of terrycloth material that you could stick the scraps in, close them up, and use in the shower or bath. I've been toying with the idea of getting my sewing machine out and making a couple to try out for myself. It sounds like it would work pretty good.

IrishLass :)

MsBien said:
I've made the concoction that bubblefan described, but I am wondering about the washing soda and Borax. They look exactly the same coming out of the box, and neither of the boxes that I bought have the ingredients listed. Does anyone know what the content of these products really is? They look so similar and have the same claims and I wondered if they were actually the same thing.

Stacie

They are different. Borax is sodium borate, and washing soda is sodium carbonate or soda ash.

I make a batch of "plain" soap and mix in trimmings/shavings/scraps etc. until it's "moderately full" of scraps. I scent it with any FO that will cover the miscellaneous scents the scraps are made up of.

:)

I shred my scraps, use them in a plain white unscented batch, I sell some, but mostly I cut them up into .5 inch slices (.5 x 1 x 2.5) and set them out for samples. I call them Bewildered.

I also shred some and put them in a smaller batch scented Nag Champa and covered with a layer of scrap embedded light aqua MP. It's a great seller, I call it Chaotic.

thanks for all of the suggestions. i like bubblefan's receipe, i'm just not sure where to purchase washing soda, can i get that at home depot or lowes? how much of this soap do you use per load, the same as a regular detergent? do you ever sell it as laundry soap?

I'm also curious about the vinegar. i have never used vinegar to clean clothes. how much do i use and when do you put it in?

I save them up with all sorts of good intentions until I get tired of looking at them and then I throw them away.

vinegar is super important if you have even slightly hard water because TRUE soap forms soap scum with hard water. And soap scum will stick to your clothes and to your machine. the vinegar helps minimize this and leave your clothes brighter looking cuz the gunk doesn't deposit. plus it's vital for your washing machine (and even your dryer).

I know it's economical and all, but frankly I haven't enough interest in saving those few pennies (I buy cheap detergent) to play with a product that doesn't clean as well and has major (IMO, with my water) risks associated with it.

But some folks manage.

My Sis in law took some of my shavings and put them in a netting kind of material,( you knw the kind you sometime see candy in at weddings) then you get the soap and exfoliating from fabric!
My daughter took some shavings and melted it all and made soap balls , said they smelled bad with a mixture od so many smells!

IrishLass said:
MsBien said:

Stacie

They are different. Borax is sodium borate, and washing soda is sodium carbonate or soda ash.

Thank you IrishLass

Stacie

Arm and Hammer washing soda looks like a big box of baking soda. You can get washing soda and borax at most grocery stores or walmart in the laundry aisle.
The best way I have found to add vinegar is to use a downy ball.
As far as making your own laundry detergent, I have been doing that for years. It was too much trouble to shred the soap and I don't use liquid detergents. Soap is not what cleans the clothes, the washing soda/borax mixture does. Soap is the surfectant that keeps the dirt suspended so it goes out with the water. A squirt of liquid soap works fine and is much less work. Of course that doesn't help what to do with the left overs.
Most of mine are cut into samples to give away. I take the bigger pieces and press them together making what I call an ugly. My husband and I use them. When I had about 70 and was running out of room, I took them to the last green market and sold them for $2.

thanks maria, that is quite helpful. the squirt of liquid soap you refer to, is that liquid soap you make or one you have around the house?

Back