Anchor or Pyrex?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MelissaG

Reaction score
I couldn't figure out what forum to put this under, sorry everyone.

So today I was cleaning. I had my large and my small pyrex measuring cups on the counter. Well, needless to say they are now in a little box in tiny little shards. Which means I need new measuring cups for things like lotions. I rather like the glass because it holds the heat for a bit but I'm open to suggestions. I heard Pyrex isn't what it once was which would be why it broke into tiny shards instead of big pieces like it used to.

I heard Pyrex isn't what it once was which would be why it broke into tiny shards instead of big pieces like it used to.
I do not make lotions, but I do have both Pyrex and Anchor for cooking. For that purpose, they are basically the same. They are about the same thickness. The printing has held up on both. The Anchor one is narrower. Visually, I prefer my Anchor, but use them interchangeably.

Pyrex hasn't been "what it once was" for decades. But the current stuff is probably the same as what you had.

I do not make lotions, but I do have both Pyrex and Anchor for cooking. For that purpose, they are basically the same. They are about the same thickness. The printing has held up on both. The Anchor one is narrower. Visually, I prefer my Anchor, but use them interchangeably.

Pyrex hasn't been "what it once was" for decades. But the current stuff is probably the same as what you had.
The original Pyrex was borosilicate glass which is harder and has a higher melting point and less brittle/temperature shocky than tempered glass, which is what all "pyrex" brand glass is now. Boro glass is called 'hard' glass and regular glass is called 'soft' glass in the glass melting/blowing circles.
I only work with borosilicate glass because it's less prone to cracking during heating/melting/tempering.

The original Pyrex was borosilicate glass which is harder and has a higher melting point and less brittle/temperature shocky than tempered glass, which is what all "pyrex" brand glass is now. Boro glass is called 'hard' glass and regular glass is called 'soft' glass in the glass melting/blowing circles.
I only work with borosilicate glass because it's less prone to cracking during heating/melting/tempering.

Yes, but Pyrex hasn't been made from borosilicate since the eighties, so the odds of having actual borosilicate Pyrex are pretty slim. I think original Anchor was also borosilicate.

I couldn't figure out what forum to put this under, sorry everyone.

So today I was cleaning. I had my large and my small pyrex measuring cups on the counter. Well, needless to say they are now in a little box in tiny little shards. Which means I need new measuring cups for things like lotions. I rather like the glass because it holds the heat for a bit but I'm open to suggestions. I heard Pyrex isn't what it once was which would be why it broke into tiny shards instead of big pieces like it used to.
I like the glass measuring cups for balms too. So sorry yours broke. Like the others here, I don't think any of the newer cups are made of the hard glass. Probably can start haunting your local thrift stores regularly and may find some older measuring cups. But I don't know how to tell which type of glass they would be.

The difference between PYREX and pyrex

TL, DR: if you can find one where the name on the bottom is in all caps, you found the good stuff (borosilicate). If it is in small letters, it is the newer, cheaper stuff.

Apparently, it's not as simple as that. Here's a video from Ann Reordan, in which she explains her research on the topic and does various experiments to demonstrate her findings.

I have one of each, and the Anchor pours better without dripping.

And I agree, I prefer my glass containers for making lotions, as well as shampoo bars. They stand up better to the heat, and I don't worry about plastic leaching into my lotions.
This!!! I have a bunch of Pyrex cups and every single one of them makes a big mess when i try to pour liquids. The one Anchor cup i have is the one i use for liquid stuff.

This!!! I have a bunch of Pyrex cups and every single one of them makes a big mess when i try to pour liquids. The one Anchor cup i have is the one i use for liquid stuff.
Same. My Pampered Chef glass measuring cup also makes a mess, along with 99% of the coffee carafes I have tried over the years.

How hard can it be to design something that doesn't drip?

Yes, but Pyrex hasn't been made from borosilicate since the eighties, so the odds of having actual borosilicate Pyrex are pretty slim. I think original Anchor was also borosilicate.
I did not know about the date. I thought it was much longer ago like the '40's. I need to re-research this. I may have overlooked some good Pyrex items at estate sales. I remember that there was a design change after they stopped with the boro glass. Is that correct?

The difference between PYREX and pyrex

TL, DR: if you can find one where the name on the bottom is in all caps, you found the good stuff (borosilicate). If it is in small letters, it is the newer, cheaper stuff.
there it is! haha. no more research needed. thanx.

I did not know about the date. I thought it was much longer ago like the '40's. I need to re-research this. I may have overlooked some good Pyrex items at estate sales. I remember that there was a design change after they stopped with the boro glass. Is that correct?

You could be right about the date. Working from memory is tough when you're over fifty.

The design change doesn't necessarily coincide with the change, though.

I posted a video (see above post #9) that debunks all the different ways that the Internet says you can tell the difference.

You could be right about the date. Working from memory is tough when you're over fifty.

The design change doesn't necessarily coincide with the change, though.

I posted a video (see above post #9) that debunks all the different ways that the Internet says you can tell the difference.
cool. I'll check it out. 60 here! Using Cymbiotica liposomal magnesium to help w/long and short term memory. Takes some getting use to tho. Memories come flooding back from my whole life sometimes. Short term is great for work.

Apparently, it's not as simple as that. Here's a video from Ann Reordan, in which she explains her research on the topic and does various experiments to demonstrate her findings.

That was super-interesting, thanks for sharing! So it seems from her experiments that generally upper-case PYREX is made from borosilicate, while lower-case Pyrex is not? Over 50 here with some brain issues to boot so I may have missed something.

That was super-interesting, thanks for sharing! So it seems from her experiments that generally upper-case PYREX is made from borosilicate, while lower-case Pyrex is not?

That's not what I took away. At the 7:39 mark she talks about this and says that it's unclear whether that's a good way or not. There is some indication that they used both for both kinds of glass for a while.

That's not what I took away. At the 7:39 mark she talks about this and says that it's unclear whether that's a good way or not. There is some indication that they used both for both kinds of glass for a while.
I agree. I think there was some kind of over lap. Only way to tell is??? I just don't buy soft glass at all for glass blowing cause it would be a disaster to accidentally mix the 2. They handle very differently when melting.

Latest posts

Back