Anchor or Pyrex?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I replaced all my Pyrex measuring cups with Anchor last summer. All the markings etched off the Pyrex cups in the dishwasher and I refuse to wash them by hand.

So far the Anchor cups have held up very well in the dishwasher. The markings are as crisp and clear as when they were new. Liquids pour without spilling around the spout - is a better design. An added bonus for me is that they are still made in Ohio (I’m a Buckeye)!

I ordered a set of borosilicate beakers for lotion making. The walls of the beakers are not as heavy as those of my measuring cups, but they look reasonable. I haven’t tried them yet.

I fully agree that some spout design engineers should be fired. The best pouring spout in my house is on a little pitcher I bought from a Swedish potter many years ago. I don’t think I‘ve tested the somewhat unusual spout on the small Anchor Hocking measuring cup on the left. The spout on the large Anchor Hocking batter bowl on the right pours really well/cleanly. The spout on Pyrex pitcher at the bottom makes a mess of things.

IMG_0591.jpeg

I ordered a set of borosilicate beakers for lotion making. The walls of the beakers are not as heavy as those of my measuring cups, but they look reasonable. I haven’t tried them yet.

I fully agree that some spout design engineers should be fired. The best pouring spout in my house is on a little pitcher I bought from a Swedish potter many years ago. I don’t think I‘ve tested the somewhat unusual spout on the small Anchor Hocking measuring cup on the left. The spout on the large Anchor Hocking batter bowl on the right pours really well/cleanly. The spout on Pyrex pitcher at the bottom makes a mess of things.

View attachment 76130
I was looking at those beakers. Would you let me know how well they work?

re Anchor vs. Pyrex (not PYREX) I find the Anchor works much better for pourable shampoo. The spout is better. I can’t even say why, but it is.

My experiences exactly!

I was looking at those beakers. Would you let me know how well they work?
I used my new beakers to make lotion this weekend (this set through Amazon). The glass is reasonably heavy and they were very well packaged for shipping.

The major pluses are how well they fit into the water bath and having the range of sizes. The 1000 ml beaker was plenty roomy for a 400 g batch size. The only caution I have at this point is that the glass is slippery when wet/washing up. The beakers don't have handles like measuring cups, which makes them a little more challenging to hold on to. When I started washing up I was gloveless, but grip improved once I donned my rubber gloves.

I used my new beakers to make lotion this weekend (this set through Amazon). The glass is reasonably heavy and they were very well packaged for shipping.

The major pluses are how well they fit into the water bath and having the range of sizes. The 1000 ml beaker was plenty roomy for a 400 g batch size. The only caution I have at this point is that the glass is slippery when wet/washing up. The beakers don't have handles like measuring cups, which makes them a little more challenging to hold on to. When I started washing up I was gloveless, but grip improved once I donned my rubber gloves.
Awesome. Thanks muchly.

French Pyrex is still made with borosilicate, but is pretty pricey!

https://icedteapitcher.myshopify.com/collections/vintage-pyrex-measuring-cups
FYI, they had a sale on these, so I purchased a large one and a small one. They weren't cheap, and they took awhile to arrive. However, I used the larger one last night for lip balms, and it poured flawlessly. Clean-up wasn't as easy as using a flexible silicone cup, but I prefer how the glass holds the temp longer, meaning that the mix stays pourable longer.

Thank you again @artemis for sharing that link. This was worth the $$$ to get the real borosilicate glass AND a spout that doesn't drip. 🎉🎉

I remember this stuff being awesome and decided to look up why they stopped using it in the US. Apparently it's been regulated because borosilicate is made with boron. Boron is toxic and rarely used except in special circumstances like labware. My husband found an article that talks about it being more brittle than regular glass.

I honestly don't remember it being more brittle at all. I remember it taking a hit (falling on the floor) and not breaking at all or breaking into giant large chunks that meant you didn't have tiny shards all over the place. I'm curious if this part is made up by the manufacturers to justify the change. According to them, the soda-lime glass they use now breaks into larger pieces. Well, I call bull on that one because when I dropped it on the floor right before posting this, it broke into millions of tiny little shards that took a while to clean it. It pretty much exploded on impact and we even found a piece on top of the stove. It took me quite a while to clean up.

Latest posts

Back