This was a first!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FOhoarder

Reaction score
I just soaped NG's apple cinnamon and knew about the acceleration from reviews so I was heavily prepared when going into this. (Or so I thought!) I had a bit of unscented colored batter for a swirl to the side, added my scent and whisked it in. Everything was going great. Made sure scent was incorporated nicely and molded. Added my swirl color. Got my handy dandy chopstick out and as soon as I stuck it in the top I knew I had a ricing attack in the mold. I have dealt with ricing before but always stick blended it back but never in the mold after the fact. I just left it alone and now am wondering what kind of result am I going to get with this. I'm sure someone has dealt with this before. What should I expect? Thanks all!

I've had that happen a couple times. I poured it into a pot on the stove and heated it a bit and stick blended until he reincorporated itself. It completely separated, It was with a similar type fragrance. Did you use too much maybe? It's hard to tell sometimes what the cause is.

Couldn't you just stick blend it while in the mold?

I didn't want to ruin my swirls :(. I went back on the site and someone had said it riced on them too. I missed that the first time! Anyways, I just cut it and all is well. It looks perfectly fine. I never use the max scent allowed. I don't like strong scented soap. Thanks ladies! I guess I panicked over nothing! :oops:

I hope no one minds but I have a question about ricing since the topic is fresh. I've only seen ricing once in an online video and hers looked somewhat smooth with some clots in it. I made a batch last week and added the FO to my oils before the lye. It came to trace with no problems but a few seconds after I stopped stick blending, the batter began to look grainy like apple sauce. I stick blended it back smooth and was able to color and swirl with no issues but I wonder if this was ricing or not. Any ideas?

Back