Aromatherapy rice jars? 🤔

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I wasn't sure which category this question belonged in but I knew it wasn't soap so here we are 😁
Has anyone had any experience with using rice in glass jars and adding EOs to make aromatherapy jars? I came across the idea in a general post on Pinterest about uses for EOs and this one seemed almost legit. The one example they made used approximately 30 drops of EOs to half a cup of rice, but the author stated it wasn't strong enough for her liking so she added more (but didn't say how much).
Basically, I'm just curious to see if they hold a scent very long since you can open and close the lid as needed for whiff of scent.

I was thinking it couldn't be much different than making bath salts ~ and I've opened bath salt jars that were years old and they still had scent. So it got me thinking maybe the rice would work too ~ or why not use salts? A bedside jar of calming scents or a jar of invigorating scents to keep in your work space? 🤔🤔🤔

Great question.
Just at the top of my head. Plenty of ways to use and incorporate rice/scents into room fresheners.
I'm all about chilling out.
Are you set on only using rice, jars?
Pets/ people, can accidentally knock them over.

Great question.
Just at the top of my head. Plenty of ways to use and incorporate rice/scents into room fresheners.
I'm all about chilling out.
Are you set on only using rice, jars?
Pets/ people, can accidentally knock them over.
For personal use, I'm not too concerned about being knocked over since we have no kids, grandkids or pets to worry about. But I was thinking of using chunky salts, like bath salts, if rice didn't work out.

You could make a small batch. 1C. of long grain rice. As much scent as you like.
I enjoy making satchels. Have only used Lavender buds. It was a noticeable scent for many months.
Tucked under the pets bed repels fleas, and cats. :)

As Katili mentioned, aroma therapy rice packs are lux.. You don't have to buy new fabric. I would suggest an inside cloth lining, cotton and use a plastic zipper to make them. When they need freshening up add a few more drops of scent and your ready to go.
They are especially nice warmed up in the microwave, use them as heat warmers in bed on those chilly nights.

Should you want to really class your night table. Highly recommend these. Let your imagination go.
Absolutely beautiful when they are put into a flower vase. I call it up styling on a dime. Great for any room.
https://www.amazon.com/Oh-Youre-Lov...me-garden&sprefix=sola+wood,garden,185&sr=1-4
I could go on but your probably bored by now.

You could make a small batch. 1C. of long grain rice. As much scent as you like.
I enjoy making satchels. Have only used Lavender buds. It was a noticeable scent for many months.
Tucked under the pets bed repels fleas, and cats. :)

As Katili mentioned, aroma therapy rice packs are lux.. You don't have to buy new fabric. I would suggest an inside cloth lining, cotton and use a plastic zipper to make them. When they need freshening up add a few more drops of scent and your ready to go.
They are especially nice warmed up in the microwave, use them as heat warmers in bed on those chilly nights.

Should you want to really class your night table. Highly recommend these. Let your imagination go.
Absolutely beautiful when they are put into a flower vase. I call it up styling on a dime. Great for any room.
https://www.amazon.com/Oh-Youre-Lov...me-garden&sprefix=sola+wood,garden,185&sr=1-4
I could go on but your probably bored by now.
Well I'm having a duh moment ~ I totally have bag of lavender buds I could use 🤦🏼‍♀️ Gee, does it seem I need some relaxation therapy?! 😬😂

Oh! Those flowers are lovely 😍

Last edited:
Well I'm having a duh moment ~ I totally have bag of lavender buds I could use 🤦🏼‍♀️ Gee, does it seem I need some relaxation therapy?! 😬😂

Oh! Those flowers are lovely 😍
Aren't they though?
I loved that they are hand crafted, expect that unintentional happy mistake.
I like that they can be used in many ways. Unscented, scented arranged into a center piece. Add a few drops of scent, arrange them any way you want. Easily re scented.

I've never have gotten into those reed diffusers in a bottle. Think those are gawdy. Just waiting for somebody's eyes to get poked out. Probably mine! LOL!

I can see my taper candles, or any other candles that I've made, using those as a decorative arrangements around the bottom of them. Picture perfect for staging your soaps. Classy.

As for the lavender buds. They are perfect used in a sleep mask. I use them mixed with flax seeds.
If they need refreshing rub the mask to release the fragrance of the lavender. Add more if necessary.
Satchels under my pillow. Nice way to relax before bed.

Sweet dreams :)

Yes to ALL THAT!
Now I just need to come up with a nice rosemary (for memory) citrus (for energy) type scent for my workspace and I'll be a happy camper 😄
Check out eocalc. They have some really lovely combinations. I just made a batch of soap with 75% orange and 25% rosemary, they call the blend Fresh Orange. Rosemary Mint Twist is another favorite of mine and I think adding orange would really smell nice. Actually I may do that for a soap. 😊

Check out eocalc. They have some really lovely combinations. I just made a batch of soap with 75% orange and 25% rosemary, they call the blend Fresh Orange. Rosemary Mint Twist is another favorite of mine and I think adding orange would really smell nice. Actually I may do that for a soap. 😊
I will look into that ~ I've been hesitant about adding scents to soap for a variety of reasons ~ but I think I will get more use from EOs this way as it's more an on demand/as needed thing. I might still need to be careful about strength of scents on account of my husband but I'll deal with that when I get there 😁

I will look into that ~ I've been hesitant about adding scents to soap for a variety of reasons ~ but I think I will get more use from EOs this way as it's more an on demand/as needed thing. I might still need to be careful about strength of scents on account of my husband but I'll deal with that when I get there 😁
The nice thing about eocalc is they give rates for many things, not just soap. Here’s just the beginning of the list.
1705189214176.png

Well, I did my first experiment 😁
I was rooting around trying to find just the right size jar to practice with and I happened across some empty glass spice jars I had been holding on to (because you know, glass jars are always useful somehow!) and then it hit me 🤦🏼‍♀️ duh! They have the shaker lid that I can smell the scent through and the lid that I can close the jar with when I need to! So I mixed up a rosemary/bergamot/lemongrass blend and stirred it into some dried rice (just enough to fill the shaker) and while it's nothing fancy, it will do the trick! I'm so happy! This one will stay at my work space at home so I can smell it any time I need a boost 😁

Attachments

• IMG_20240201_162718068_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240201_162718068_HDR.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Well, I did my first experiment 😁
I was rooting around trying to find just the right size jar to practice with and I happened across some empty glass spice jars I had been holding on to (because you know, glass jars are always useful somehow!) and then it hit me 🤦🏼‍♀️ duh! They have the shaker lid that I can smell the scent through and the lid that I can close the jar with when I need to! So I mixed up a rosemary/bergamot/lemongrass blend and stirred it into some dried rice (just enough to fill the shaker) and while it's nothing fancy, it will do the trick! I'm so happy! This one will stay at my work space at home so I can smell it any time I need a boost 😁
I'm so glad it worked out. Very clever way to up cycle using what you have. Wow, and it's free! ;)
Now your idea has me deep diving the kitchen pantry/freezers for spice containers. Toss out the old spices, rinse and dry the containers. Load those babies up and use. The seeds that won't be used can be kept in the refrigerator. I bought flower seeds that are microscopic. Need a magnifying glass just to see them. Uh huh, I over bought. ;)

Your idea is brilliant. I won't have chance buying a seeder. They're not all he same. It will be much easier to shake them onto a seeder strip. Place them where I want them. Landscaping my yard.

Thanks Enabler.. You's so cool! ;)

I'm so glad it worked out. Very clever way to up cycle using what you have. Wow, and it's free! ;)
Now your idea has me deep diving the kitchen pantry/freezers for spice containers. Toss out the old spices, rinse and dry the containers. Load those babies up and use. The seeds that won't be used can be kept in the refrigerator. I bought flower seeds that are microscopic. Need a magnifying glass just to see them. Uh huh, I over bought. ;)

Your idea is brilliant. I won't have chance buying a seeder. They're not all he same. It will be much easier to shake them onto a seeder strip. Place them where I want them. Landscaping my yard.

Thanks Enabler.. You's so cool! ;)
That's a good idea too! I usually repurpose them for more dried herbs, the ones I buy in bulk or dry myself ~ that way I don't have to buy too many new jars 😁

Latest posts

Back