Thin Black Lines

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lemontongue

Reaction score
Does anyone have any input on what creates those thin black lines that I see in soaps? Is it intentional or is it just a reaction among ingredients? I have included an image (it is not mine but I cannot find the original source either)

tcEs3pV.jpg

It is a pencil line. I take finely ground coffee and sprinkle a thin layer using a fine mesh strainer. Then I carefully spoon in the second layer.

Wow those are some really cute ideas that people have thought of :D I never would have guessed!

You can use just about any powdered substance to a pencil line. Lots of people use cocoa powder, finely ground coffee and LOADS of soapers use various micas.

I've used cocoa powder. It sometimes bleeds after some time, & I loose that crisp 'line'.

I've used coffee, cocoa, mica, charcoal....you can pretty much use whatever you want! My favorite has been coffee or cocoa. They are really easy to do.

I used cinnamon in the pencil line I did. The list of what can be used goes on and on :)

I used powdered rosemary and 3 weeks cure so far and still looks nice. Curious to see how they hold up when the soap is used.

Latest posts

Back