Tea tree oil and lavender

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oregon Groves

Reaction score
I was asked to make tea tree oil and lavender soap. Well we all know how potent tea tree oil is and I let them know it may take over the lavender fragrance and I have never worked with tea tree oil to be honest. I went on the BB fragrance calculator. I am not quite sure how to divide this as I am not good with percentages. I was told to use it at 3%

I am making a loaf of 38 oz

Again

Olive oil 14 oz
Lard 11oz
Coconut oil 11 oz
Castor oil 2 oz

How would I divide this and try to keep it smelling like lavender as much as possible but not wrecking the whole thing? I'm assuming using the smallest amount of tea tree oil and then medium of Lavender. I just don't want to go over kill on fragrance and possibly have a skin reaction if I do full strength of lavender FO and then the lightest if Tea tree oil if that makes sense or have my soap ruined.

I'd like to do percentages because I have fragrance oils from other companies that do not have a fragrance calculator.

Anyway, thank you for your time. I hope that made sense!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201208-115828_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20201208-115828_Chrome.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot_20201208-115738_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20201208-115738_Chrome.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 1
I would take a glass dish and then put in one drop tea tree and one drop lavender on top of it. Keep adding lavender, letting it sit a minute and then waft between drops, keeping track of how many drops you add and stirring occasionally. Bear in mind that the lye may break down the lavender a bit more than the tea tree, so you'll want to aim for just a little more lavender smell than you'll want in your final bar.
When you're happy with your mix, there's your ratio. EOcalc can help with the rest.

Last edited:
I will definitely try that. I'm using a FO for the lavender but I will try this.

Thank you both.

Latest posts

Back