Tattoos

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was with you until this last part.

I have a span of control that's pretty wide (corporate speak for there's a lot of people who report up to me). While I have a tattoo myself, and I do not necessarily discriminate against people with ink, if a kid came in here looking for a job with a lizard tongue and a tat across the front of his neck, I would not hire him.

It has nothing to do with having a tattoo so much as a very basic question: "Do I trust a person to make the right decisions when he made that decision?"

I often tell people EVERYTHING is an interview. The IT community used to be pretty small comparatively. I remember one guy just turned into a rabid @$$hole on a usenet post, calling me names, questioning my masculinity and heritage ... you get the idea. Not 6 months later his resume ended up on my desk.

I love irony.

I am with you in every respect here. My point though was that he made some bad decisions when he was really young (and dumb) and even though he makes better decisions now, and is digging himself out of the hole he put himself in, those permanent choices will be with him forever. Regardless of how many good decisions he makes for the rest of his life, and how much he "turns himself around" he will *always* be judged for past indiscretions.

Now, don't get me wrong, I don't pity him. He made his bed, he has to lie in it.

I was with you until this last part.

I have a span of control that's pretty wide (corporate speak for there's a lot of people who report up to me). While I have a tattoo myself, and I do not necessarily discriminate against people with ink, if a kid came in here looking for a job with a lizard tongue and a tat across the front of his neck, I would not hire him.

It has nothing to do with having a tattoo so much as a very basic question: "Do I trust a person to make the right decisions when he made that decision?"

I often tell people EVERYTHING is an interview. The IT community used to be pretty small comparatively. I remember one guy just turned into a rabid @$$hole on a usenet post, calling me names, questioning my masculinity and heritage ... you get the idea. Not 6 months later his resume ended up on my desk.

I love irony.

But isn't that just what she said.. you would base it on his looks? The look itself doesn't matter, be it a tattoo, a piercing or a split tongue.. judging on looks is judging on looks. I'm not saying you're wrong for your thoughts, just that it's not any different than what she said IMO. :)
A chest tattoo is too far for you to see past but other simpler tat's might be too far for others.. it's all still based on looks.
And people do change..

But isn't that just what she said.. you would base it on his looks?
It's not the look but the decision that led up to it. Any other such item that brings to bear a question of a person's ability/potential could be inserted here. An MBA who had "BMA" on his resume is one I can remember. A guy applying for a job as a server administrator giving an AOL.com email address is another (nerds will understand that). I've seen people gay-bashing on Facebook, making bigoted comments on Twitter, you name it. If I can see it (and it's not just "looks") and it brings a question to their ability to fit in the job I have open, I'm going to take the safe bet.

How about a tattoo that you can't see? "White Power" across the chest? Yes, someone did post that on facebook. No, he did not get the job.

Last edited:
OMG, Lee, those are some scary stories! Although I would kind of like to interview someone who had a "White Power" tattoo, just to see what he made of being at my mercy. This is the 21st century, *&(*^, the tables have turned.

LBussy I hear where you're coming from.. I suppose a line has to be drawn somewhere and a bit of judging based on looks does come in. We are only human after all and I know it does happen since that's all we have when we first make our impression.

Not_Ally - I think I like you even more and would also love to see that.

It's not the look but the decision that led up to it. Any other such item that brings to bear a question of a person's ability/potential could be inserted here. An MBA who had "BMA" on his resume is one I can remember. A guy applying for a job as a server administrator giving an AOL.com email address is another (nerds will understand that). I've seen people gay-bashing on Facebook, making bigoted comments on Twitter, you name it. If I can see it (and it's not just "looks") and it brings a question to their ability to fit in the job I have open, I'm going to take the safe bet.

How about a tattoo that you can't see? "White Power" across the chest? Yes, someone did post that on facebook. No, he did not get the job.

Those stories sound painful. People (especially young kids) really don't think their actions through these days. They just don't think about their digital impact. Just because they have their facebook set to private, or they don't have many followers on twitter, etc, doesn't mean people can't get access to the information.

I have 3, 2 of those cover up past tattoos that I fell out of love with

I have an hibiscus flower on my ankle (this covered an ugly black Chinese symbol)
ImageUploadedBySoap Making1436534380.003809.jpg
It's red on here cos it had just been done

Then I have my cherry blossom on my back
ImageUploadedBySoap Making1436534457.419684.jpg

And my dragon up my ribs (this covered up a little rose I had, it's under the dragons head)
ImageUploadedBySoap Making1436534543.479182.jpg

I got bored pretty easily and decided to do a cover up on my right shoulder last month...

ImageUploadedBySoap Making1446795943.894326.jpg

I'm going to spruce up the one on my back pretty soon

I've got 5 tats....green tree frog on right breast, lily and butterfly on right thigh, Indian dream catcher anklelet on left ankle, Juvenile Drum (fish) on top of right foot and a large octopus on my left thigh.

I've always been fascinated by tattoos but I waited until I was in my late 30's to get my first one. All of mine were placed to be easily covered but over the years I've decided I'd like to show one off. Also my tastes have changed, as has my life in general. So my next one will be on my right upper arm. I'm working on a design with roses, my motorcycle and wings....hard to explain! My problem is trying to find an tattoo artist who can draw it for me as well as do a great ink job. I've seen too many bad tats from just walking into the local tat parlor!

I had an aunt that built a new house in the early 50s. At that point in time, pink was the latest fashion. She builds this pink brick house and had to live in this pink house for the next 50 years! This memory has been my guide towards tattoos.

I have a couple small flash pieces but I'm fixing to spend some real money on a custom tattoo in the next six months or so. I'd like to get something for my grandmothers that incorporates two things - a hummingbird (for my dad's mom - a bird lover) and a rose (for my mom's mom - her middle name was Rose). But I don't like the look of traditional rose tattoos much. I've become obsessed with the work of Diana Severinenko - I love her botanical print-style florals. But since I can't afford to fly to Ukraine, I'll have to settle for someone else in the US :cry:

ImageUploadedBySoap Making1447646066.434353.jpg

I think the one in my lower back will be my last one coz hubby said no more. I still wanted one on my wrist tho...

When my ex wife (one of them! :p) was married to her first, he told her "no tattoos!" He went out on 30 day maneuvers and when he got back she had seven. Not like she had you seven, she had 7 tattoos. :)

I have a couple small flash pieces but I'm fixing to spend some real money on a custom tattoo in the next six months or so. I'd like to get something for my grandmothers that incorporates two things - a hummingbird (for my dad's mom - a bird lover) and a rose (for my mom's mom - her middle name was Rose). But I don't like the look of traditional rose tattoos much. I've become obsessed with the work of Diana Severinenko - I love her botanical print-style florals. But since I can't afford to fly to Ukraine, I'll have to settle for someone else in the US :cry:

Don't know where you're located but this website has a great list of artists in the US. http://www.tattooartproject.com/tattoo-artists/

I've also been looking for someone who does realistic roses. I've found a couple photos I really like, now to find someone who can do them.
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/39547302955641788/
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/39547302955858707/
http://www.soapmakingforum.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

View attachment 17651

I think the one in my lower back will be my last one coz hubby said no more. I still wanted one on my wrist tho...

seven, IS THIS YOU?? because if it is, you have a truly beautiful tattoo. I've never seen anything like it! wowwww

deedles, thanks for the list! *perusing now* - update: I'm in the Midwest, and one of the tattooers on the list is someone I emailed just a couple days ago! I contacted Megan Hoogland; she's currently in Mankato MN. Waiting to hear back; fingers crossed!

this is one of Severinenko's - similar to what I hope to get

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/244249979767819060/

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back