sweaty soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samj

Reaction score
I made a loaf of soap and let it sit for two days. It unmolded from the silicone mold just fine but when I cut it into bars I saw that it had not completely gelled at the top. In fact, the bars seemed to be sweating oil. I left the bars on a drying rack for a few days thinking that would solve the problem but no luck. Any way I can save this batch? Any advice on rebatching? This is only the fourth batch I've ever made so any advice is welcome.

You really need to give us your recipe and soaping procedures before we can help. You should have been able to tell if it gelled before un-molding. How do you proceed to gel, did it overheat etc. Pictures would also help.

the recipe I used was 800g olive oil, 400g coconut oil, 200g shea butter, 42g essential lavender oil, 197g lye, and 441g distilled water. The lye calculation and fragrance calculation came from Brambleberry.com. I let the batch sit in the mold for two days thinking that would be enough time; I should have checked more carefully before cutting, obviously. In the picture, one should be able to see what I mean by "sweaty" (oily). At the top of the bar, you see where it didn't quite gel completely. I have a hunch the essential oil might be the problem. Any hope for this batch?

Attachments

• IMG_20231125_180412615.jpg
    IMG_20231125_180412615.jpg
    573.9 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back